Talk

Advanced search

socially acceptable destinations for urine

(31 Posts)
wulfstan Sat 26-Jul-08 21:35:00

background: DS1 has a phobia of public loos. It's basically the dryers which scare him, but he reckons that sanitary disposal bins contain monsters. So he's not going to go. He's 2.8.

we had some funny looks today when DS1 did an al fresco wee up against a tree in the gardens of a stately home - isn't this ok for little boys? The following are the other outdoor wees this week - I'm not supposed to hang on to the wee and dispose of it at home, am I? Surely it's ok to tip it onto the ground somewhere out of the way?

1) wee in potty in waitrose car park, potty contents tipped down a drain.
2) I-need-it-now wee standing on the ramparts of warwick castle (wee directed into wall)
3) wee and poo in car park, me fish out poo (ewww) to put in nappysack, tip wee onto grass under car.
4) wee against tree in a quiet corner of a garden.

popsycal Sat 26-Jul-08 21:37:06

wee in potty
stick nsappy in potty to soak up wee
dispose of nappy in bin at home

noonki Sat 26-Jul-08 21:37:31

i have dogs, they wee in the park surely that is worse!

popsycal Sat 26-Jul-08 21:38:07

and i would not let mine wee outside in a stately home

fwiw my 6 year old niece has hand dryer issues and was similar but has improved with lots of strtegies from my sister

MrsSylar Sat 26-Jul-08 21:38:36

I always let my boys wee outdoors - up trees, in bushes, most places really.

Public loos are often absolutely filthy, and I would much rather they wee'd up a tree, then risk them going in a loo.

Wee is sterile don't forget

cornsilk Sat 26-Jul-08 21:38:37

little boys weeing against trees and bushes is fine - ignore the stares.
Also in grids, walls in alleyways behind shops (not houses).
Empty bottles of coke very handy for this purpose.

wulfstan Sat 26-Jul-08 21:38:50

we only have cloth nappies - I guess I could soak it up with that or a muslin. I just thought it was ok to do it outdoors until I read the posts about wee on the shopping centre thread.

TurkeyLurkey Sat 26-Jul-08 21:39:44

My lad wees in hedges and bushes but I'm not sure I'd let him wee up a castle wall...

cornsilk Sat 26-Jul-08 21:40:13

oh ignore them.

wulfstan Sat 26-Jul-08 21:40:34

it was a choice of either up the castle wall or over the ramparts

pickie Sat 26-Jul-08 21:41:16

Think most men still get great satisfaction of weeing outside!

noonki Sat 26-Jul-08 21:41:33

I would actively encourage mine to wee up a castle wall grin

TurkeyLurkey Sat 26-Jul-08 21:42:14

Haha, I suppose the rain can wash it away. Its hard when they can't hold it til you can get somewhere.

littleducks Sat 26-Jul-08 21:42:15

stately home is a no, no i would not be impressed if i paid to go to warwick castle to see urine up the walls....sorry

tress are ok though
in a potty and down a drain fine

maidamess Sat 26-Jul-08 21:44:10

If my boys get caught short outside I try to find somwhere discreet to do it, although I am mindful of the fact dogs do it everywhere!

We have been known to pee down a drain by the side of the road... In fact my boys prefer that to peeing inside.

ReallyTired Sat 26-Jul-08 21:46:08

I would not worry. At 2.8 years old many children cannot get to the toilet in time. I would try and chose a more hidden spot as some childless people might tut.

If you think about it and your child wets his pants the wee will end up on the ground. You might as well have the wee end up in a flower bed than somewhere where like a carpet.

My six year old son still wees Al Fresco occassionally. Obviously he has better control than a two year old, but I would be an idiot to make him wait half an hour.

I suggest putting a flushable baby wipe. (Ie. [[ http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/baby-bath/kandoo-children-s-toilet-wipes/406129/ Kanndo Wopes]] There are Tesco/ Sainburies equivalents which are cheaper

on the bottom of the potty if your son is going to poo. It makes it easier to get the poo out the potty. If you can get to a toilet I would empty it, but otherwise your nappy sack idea is fine.

missmollymoo Sat 26-Jul-08 21:52:21

My 6 year old pees anywhere and everywhere if he has the need. He does usually try to find a bush or a tree to do it up, but can't always.

If we are near a toilet he uses it, but will pee wherever necessary.

Who cares. Dogs pee everywhere. He knows to be discreet and not announce it to the world mind!!

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Sat 26-Jul-08 21:56:51

well tbh if they need to go, they need to go. accomodate the child whilst being discrete, thats what I do. bushes are fair game imo

BalloonSlayer Sat 26-Jul-08 22:03:31

FFS what do you think they did when the castle was built?

They pissed out of the windows, that's what.

Now it's a Stately Hooooome, I suppose that is suppose to make it different, is it? hmm

plantsitter Sat 26-Jul-08 22:06:02

Frankly though the tutting old lady quotient at stately hoooomes must be pretty high so it's probably worth doing it behind the tree at least.

wulfstan Sat 26-Jul-08 22:07:33

thank you, balloonslayer, for removing some of my "infant son pissing away priceless heritage" guilt

FluffyMummy123 Sat 26-Jul-08 22:08:51

Message withdrawn

wulfstan Sat 26-Jul-08 22:09:32

warwick castle's not proper stately: it's got interactive ghosts and people with oversized jester hats - it's not like weeing on some deadly national trust property (shudders at childhood memories of too many visits to blickling and felbrigg...)

mawbroon Sat 26-Jul-08 22:09:47

I have a folding potty for 2.9yo ds.

Originally I thought that I would just have him pee on the toilet, or outside, but he was having none of it.

Today we were on the bus when he announced he needed to go. We just set the potty up on the floor in front of my seat and I don't even think anyone noticed. I have trained him to shake his willy after a pee to get the drops off, but the bus was shoogling so much that it was shaking all by itself! He found this very amusing. grin

thumbwitch Sat 26-Jul-08 22:12:02

My DH still has a penchant for peeing against trees in parks and outdoors
generally blush (but then he is Australian).

I liked Balloonslayer's answer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now