Talk

Advanced search

To let my children play outside?

(42 Posts)
deepinlaundry Sat 26-Jul-08 18:54:56

It's been a while since I posted but really feel the need to get this off my chest. I live in a really snooty gated dev. ( which we can't afford anymore so moving) and a neighbour today came and shouted at my five year old for squealing in delight at being pushed on a car.Lady is often quite stroppy but has older children herself.
my dh very passive , non confrontational knocked on door and got screamed at, then her dh came out and pushed my dh over.

I can't get my head round it- do children genuinely annoy people that much? Obviously physical stuff not on and my dh walked away, but I feel so upset. Children saw it all.
They are never unsupervised, drop litter, generally good children. Why demonise them?

cornsilk Sat 26-Jul-08 18:56:52

Call the police - isn't that assault?

deepinlaundry Sat 26-Jul-08 18:59:48

I did think about it but didn't want the whole 'scene' and fallout. I hate it here- management committee etc. These people are supposedly intelligent people behaving like characters in shameless. I just can't believe my dh got pushed over. I keep thinking ' are we really that annoying'. Did we push them over the edge?

Thisismynewname Sat 26-Jul-08 19:00:42

No, you're not that annoying, they're out of order. I would call the police too, it's common assault.

Hassled Sat 26-Jul-08 19:01:14

I'm with Cornsilk - he pushed your DH over? Report the incident. The fact it's a gated community etc is absolutely irrelevant - you're still entitled to a normal family life.

Children don't annoy normal people that much - they are nutters.

cornsilk Sat 26-Jul-08 19:01:29

Have you already sorted out your move?

deepinlaundry Sat 26-Jul-08 19:01:44

It's going to be a long summer if I have to keep them penned in. Do other people let their dcs play outside like this? ( I have 3 dcs)

mamadiva Sat 26-Jul-08 19:01:56

By the sounds of it deepinlaundry you are better off out of this place.

What kind of place is it when your kids aren't even aloowed to enjoy themselves? I wouldn't be happy there and as for neighbour tell hr she has no right telling your child off for enjoying themselves and if she does so again you will be reporting her for harrassing your child which she is clearly doing and also what her dh did is assault so I would see how things go and if anything remotely similair again then I'd phone the police. Sounds like a nasty piece of work, do her DC's sit in a corner all day reading in silence? I very much doubt it.

You have done nothing wrong and neither has your child or dh sio she is the one being incredibly un reasonable!!! angry

S1ur Sat 26-Jul-08 19:02:13

They sound like arses.

Thisismynewname Sat 26-Jul-08 19:02:31

Just re-read it and seen that she shouted at your DD too - disgusting, she needs to learn some manners.

S1ur Sat 26-Jul-08 19:03:00

Course children should play outside.

cornsilk Sat 26-Jul-08 19:03:08

Do not keep your children penned in because of these idiots. Report them.

deepinlaundry Sat 26-Jul-08 19:03:36

Due to exchange next week- still could fall through though.Children so upset, I am upset as 5 yo normally very reserved and shy.

mamadiva Sat 26-Jul-08 19:04:28

MY DC does my head in when he's outside with his squeeling and so do my neighbours 4 kids but they are children and that's what they do! None of us would dream of complaining to each other about igt infact they all play together and TBH I think we may encourage them to screech by chasing them.

deepinlaundry Sat 26-Jul-08 19:07:12

I do think that this place is particularly weird. Lots of retired people too- so find kids annoying. A lot complain to management comapany on the basis of concern about their safety, truth is they don't like children.
I would respect them more if they said that tbh.

foxythesnowfox Sat 26-Jul-08 19:09:07

Would you like me to send my 4 round too? with waterpistols?

their behaviour is far worse than the childrens.

Trouble is, you've already been round to sort it and got abuse.

Could you call your local police station and ask them to send a local police officer round to put the wind up them? Should get the neighbours talking.

snooks Sat 26-Jul-08 19:13:10

deepinlaundry who is buying your place? I ope it is a laidback family with 3 teenage boys who like loud music and playing drums and driving fast cars etc etc they would wish for some sweet little kids playing outside then!

I am angry on your behalf for them upsetting your dd, I would want to slap them. Idiots.

deepinlaundry Sat 26-Jul-08 19:14:20

Oh my word, mine did have water pistols and that was in the back garden- got told off for that. Dh won't talk about it- I actually do have a lot on in life and know in the scheme of things is not that bad, but I feel so upset cause dcs sad. I feel bad for moving them here and the fact they have not been allowed to be children. Thanks everyone, much better than trying to force dh to talk!

snooks Sat 26-Jul-08 19:14:38

hope

(I don't drop my aitches when talking to folk who live in a posh gated community wink)

deepinlaundry Sat 26-Jul-08 19:17:40

A local boarding school for one of their masters so unfortunately will be civilised. If wasn't such bad housing market and we weren't desperate for money, I would sell it to a brothel keeper. Wish I could snap out of this- still so shocked about the pushing, poor dh.

snooks Sat 26-Jul-08 19:20:56

I don't blame you for feeling fragile about it, I know I would feel the same. Foxy had a very good idea if you don't want to put in a formal complaint to the police (iykwim).

AbbeyA Sat 26-Jul-08 19:28:30

Children should be outside playing! Take no notice. I would complain to the management committee.

deepinlaundry Sat 26-Jul-08 19:28:52

Thank you, so I'm not being unreasonable, the kids aren't knife wielding hoodies and other people do the same? They think I'm common, I know they do, no one hangs washing out here either! Will chase up move next week.

Ripeberry Sat 26-Jul-08 19:29:09

Let your kids play outside, its none of the neighbours business anyway.
As long as the kids are in by 8pm, they have no reason to complain.
We have over 15 kids on my small street and some of them do play out until 10pm, these are the older teenagers but they are never loud.
If the neighbours complain again, get them on video tape if you can.
Does it say in you housing papers that kids are not allowed to make a noise? hmm.
Have a BBQ and invite lots of kids over tomorrow night, that should teach them grin

deepinlaundry Sat 26-Jul-08 19:32:32

Mangement committee have said that children shouldn't use the mews as ' playground'.
They don't have legal powers or anything, just respond to other neighbours. Children not out late, not every day and not on their own. I complained about speeding cars and they said would not be a problem if children kept in! So I should keep children in to enable idiots to speed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now