Talk

Advanced search

To not let dd2 have a second ear piercing

(22 Posts)
mamhaf Sat 26-Jul-08 17:04:45

She's 12, has had her ears pierced since she was seven and is now nagging for a second piercing in the lobe of one ear.

She wants it done now so that it'll heal before the start of term.

I've said no - but that I'd ask the court of mumsnet.

My reasons are:
She's too young
She's too grubby (it's a battle to get her to shower) - and therefore running the risk of infection.
It looks chavvy (puts on tin hat, but those are my exact words)

So, what do you think?

mamhaf Sat 26-Jul-08 17:06:15

Dd1 just read this and said "I guess that puts a tattoo out of the question then?" grin

stitch Sat 26-Jul-08 17:08:00

if she has had one, then i dont see th epoint in stopping her from having another one. it is the right time of year to do it. she is being responsible in asking you. do you really want her going off and having it done when out with her friends? or worse, by one of her friends?

stitch Sat 26-Jul-08 17:08:25

no to tatoos until they are 35. grin

MatNanPlus Sat 26-Jul-08 17:09:09

mamhaf

hmm i was 18 before i got a second ear piercing tho was 12 before i got the first.

scorpio1 Sat 26-Jul-08 17:10:08

can you compromise? 2 months of washing without prompting and then ears??

I got first tattoo at 15 grin but am too chicken to get my ears pierced twice

LyraSilvertongue Sat 26-Jul-08 17:12:19

If she's old enough for one, why isn't she old enough for two?
And I don't agree that it looks chavvy - it depends what earrings you wear. I have two holes in each ear and wear small silver sleepers in them.

Hannah81 Sat 26-Jul-08 17:13:19

when i was 14 i asked to get mine done a second time and was told no. so i did them myself with a needle and a bar of soap behind the ear - i surgican spirited the needle first btw. (don't show her this rhread btw - wouldn't want to be responsible for unwanted holes in ears)

fwiw, i too think 12 is a little young (looking back now, so was 14) but I'd prefer her to get them done professionally than how i did mine.

janeite Sat 26-Jul-08 17:22:00

I let dd have hers done for the second time recently. She is 13. She had her first ones done when she was 11 and was absolutely brilliant looking after them and has had no problems whatsoever, so I relented. It was that or dye her hair black, so I went for the earrings! I've told her she has to be 14 before she can dye her hair.

belgo Sat 26-Jul-08 17:23:08

My parents also refused to let me get a second set down at age 13. So I went out and got them done anyway. It's about the most rebellious thing I've ever done.

I just really did not see why my parents were saying no. My ears, my choice was my attitude. I wasn't doing it to make a point, I just wanted two holes.

I've only ever worn small sleeper earrings in the second holes.

boozybird Sat 26-Jul-08 17:23:47

i had my first one 'legally' aged 7, then did the rest (another 4...) variously aged 13 to 15 - at home with mates, in the loo at tesco (nice), at mates' houses...

having the first one sort of opens the gate to it i think - maybe tell her she can have another one when she's 14, but 12 is too young.

it depends on how they're worn as to whether or not it looks chavvy... a stud and a small sleeper can look really nice... but perhaps not on a 12 year old.

are her mates getting it done?

laweaselmys Sat 26-Jul-08 17:55:52

Agree with the others, unless she dresses like a chav it's not going to look chavvy... If you're not comfortable with it now set some arbitrary birthday a few years in the future and use the hating washing etc as a reason. She won't like it but she'll probably put up with it if you've settled definately on that particular date... especially if you start older than intended and let her negotiate it down a bit.

Just reminding me of my own battle for pierced ears though. Was good though, and when I snuck off to do it myself went to a hairdressers (tbh couldn't stand the idea of shoving a needle through my own ear!)

NigellaTheOriginal Sat 26-Jul-08 17:58:03

my mum said no so i did it myself with a big needle at around 13.
DD wants her nose done. i told her to wait til 16 then pierce anything she wants. m hoping she doesn't take afetr me.

kerryk Sat 26-Jul-08 18:00:39

my 6 year old told me last night that she wants her tongue peirced.

hmm yeah right then.

infact i am half tempted to take her and let her see what they use to do it, that should put her of for life.

pointydog Sat 26-Jul-08 18:09:02

I think two ear piercings can look really good. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

hercules1 Sat 26-Jul-08 18:13:31

My friends parents felt the same so she did it herself....

gegs73 Sat 26-Jul-08 18:15:30

I wouldn't like it and would definately say no until she was older. I don't like the way it looks so would try and discourage it. I think one piercing for a girl is fine, but two in one ear at 12? I just think she should wait until she is older.

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 26-Jul-08 18:19:37

I don't think it'd look 'chavvy' ( loathesome expression) - depends what kind of earring she has..I have one ear with 4 piercings but never have them all earringed, either just the 2 usual holes and sometimes the top one, or just the top one...

suwoo Sat 26-Jul-08 18:19:51

God, Hannah81, I did exactly the same as you did at 14. Although I had a potato at the back of my ear and sterilised the needle with my lighter shock.

Mercy Sat 26-Jul-08 18:27:43

I've got 3 holes in one ear, but the last 2 I had done when I was around 14/15 I think.

You can't comment on her taste so much (may push her to do it in a horrible way) but I think the hygiene, being responsible and grown up aspect should be stated firmly!

kerryk Sat 26-Jul-08 18:44:31

i had 7 in one ear and 6 in the other growing up.

so not a good look.

Lovesdogsandcats Sat 26-Jul-08 18:51:26

Dd just had 2nd done, and she is nearly 13. I don't see the problem if she already has one.

I'll tell you what IS chav - boy of 9 going off and getting his older brother to sign consent. Then going in school next day with, wait for it - a silver marijuana leaf design earring. Oh I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now