Talk

Advanced search

to not want DD to get to the party before me?

(11 Posts)
KelaH Sat 26-Jul-08 16:50:30

OK, this is kind of academic, but not sure why this bothered me, or whether I was right to be a bit iffy about it.

I am going to a party tonight (godparents ruby wedding party), along with my parents, sister and DH. He is working till 5 and the party started at 4, so the others have gone ahead and I will pick DH up after work and go straight there. Parents suggested that they take DD (6 months), so that I don't have to juggle getting myslef ready with getting her ready, and potentially needing a feed/nappy change just as I need to go.

I agreed, but it has seemed a bit wierd and I'm not sure why, or if it should. The only thing I am aware of thinking is that I want to be there when everyone sees her and says how lovely she is (most people have met her before, but not seen her for a while). Also, I live with my parents, and it sometimes feels as if they are telling me what to do with her (I could cope with that if I was a 16 year old mum, but I am 28!!), and this feels a bit like they are taking her as 'their' child to show off. I really shouldn't feel like that, as they never act like that really, but it just feels a bit wierd.

So, AIBU to have not wanted her to go with them? (It has been lovely to be able to get ready with out distractions!! )

BreeVanderCampLGJ Sat 26-Jul-08 16:59:03

You can't have your cake and eat it.

It is not as if they are taking a newborn and parading her.

""Also, I live with my parents, and it sometimes feels as if they are telling me what to do with her (I could cope with that if I was a 16 year old mum, but I am 28!!), and this feels a bit like they are taking her as 'their' child to show off. I really shouldn't feel like that, as they never act like that really, but it just feels a bit wierd.""

So you, your DH and your DC live with your parents and they are trying to give you some space....

Why do you live with your parents ??

Are you being a tad ungrateful, or are they very controlling people ??

fordfiesta Sat 26-Jul-08 17:04:42

I know how you mean...... I would feel a bit similar, in someways though because i am just a little insecure and walking in with a child would take the focus off me!! iyswim? Let them take dd and just enjoy the space for a change...... oh so easier said than done!!! they will probably be glad to hand her back when you arrive then rather than spend the whole evening trying to get her of you to parade!!!!

Cammelia Sat 26-Jul-08 17:04:59

I think you're just being a proud mum kelah smile

I remember feeling like that when my dd's were little, its normal

But its nice that you did let her go with your parents and took the opportunity to get ready "in peace"

motherinferior Sat 26-Jul-08 17:07:35

I agree with Camgrin

I reckon you're allowed to want to show off your six month old grin. Since she's obviously the most gorgeous baby in the world. Hell, I still feel a bit like that about my enormous PFB seven year old blush.

stitch Sat 26-Jul-08 17:09:44

yabu

KelaH Sun 27-Jul-08 19:50:07

Hi, thanks for responses, this is the first time I have been able to get online since. I knew I was being a bit unreasonable, guess its just living at home again is making me a bit touchy (we are here to save money so we can buy in a couple of years).

LazyLinePainterJane Sun 27-Jul-08 19:55:06

YABU. You think that they want to parade her around? You seem to think that they are doing it so that they can receive all the compliments about how lovely she is?

Maybe they want to do you a favour? Maybe they want to spend time with her? Maybe you should let them take her as they are already doing you a massive favour letting you live with them.

Maybe she won't get any compliments wink

^
this is a joke.

kitsmummy Sun 27-Jul-08 19:58:02

They're probably just as proud of their grandaughter as you are of your daughter, and also thought it would help you out. You are being a bit unreasonable, as you could have said No.

KelaH Sun 27-Jul-08 20:01:02

As I said, I know I was being unreasonable, and I do appreciate everything they do for us, just felt a bit wierd her going without me. And we all had a lovely time

barnsleybelle Sun 27-Jul-08 20:09:42

Bless ya! I think it's sweet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now