Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit let down by my sister?

(4 Posts)
frazzledgirl Sat 26-Jul-08 09:48:22

DS is one on Sunday. I was talking to my sis about the little family lunch we're having for him at my grandma's (parents, brother, sis, aunt, cousin, assorted partners, you know...) and said I would order him a cake from Waitrose.

She offered to make it herself, straight away. Wouldn't take no for an answer.

Y'day afternoon she mailed to say she was was feeling better after having been really stressed out, so could she cancel the drink we'd planned last night, and she wanted to go out for day today and would I mind if she didn't do it and just bought one instead?

I said fine to both, although I'd cancelled plans with a friend to see her because she 'needed to talk' and it was too late to order DS a nice cake.

Luckily I found the one I wanted in store (didn't feel right asking her to buy one if she wasn't making it), so no harm done, but even if her relationship is a bit dodgy at the mo, am I out of order to feel she has been a trifle inconsiderate?

juuule Sat 26-Jul-08 09:53:54

Sounds like she is full of good intentions but not very reliable.
Yanbu to feel let down but I'd make allowances for sister, especially if she's been a bit stressed herself.

Does she have any children of her own? If not, she probably doesn't understand how important your ds 1st birthday is for you.

Luckily no harm done as you say, so I'd let it pass.

madamez Sat 26-Jul-08 09:56:32

Well she is your sister so you presumably know she's a bit of a flake ( I have a mate like this). the best way to deal with it is to expect people like this to fuck up and always have a plan B in place.

frazzledgirl Sat 26-Jul-08 10:00:53

"full of good intentions but not very reliable" is exactly it. Plus she's younger than me, and she is having a bit of a tough time, and I am rubbish at confrontation.

And, you know, he's one - he couldn't care less what cake he has. So on all levels not a big deal.

This is about the fourth time in the last few years she's had a crisis, I've dropped everything to see and support her, and then she's recovered super quickly and cancelled. So I suppose I should learn, but it is a bit annoying. Sometimes feel that she kind of waltzes through life suiting herself, without realising the effect she's having...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now