Talk

Advanced search

To be getting really annoyed with MW saying yes I can, have HB, no I cant, Yes I CAN....

(11 Posts)

Sorry just want to vent my frustration.
Constantly reminded I need to get to 37 weeks to Have a HB Water birth.

I am nearly 35 weeks and if they dont stop stressing me out with their decisions this baby will come before and I will be furious......
How bloody difficult can the decision be
angry angry

MsHighwater Fri 25-Jul-08 15:40:13

Surely you have a right to have your baby at home if that's what you want (and assuming an untroubled, uncomplicated pregnancy)?

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 15:53:56

YANBU, But they don't actually have a say!
Tell them you're having a home birth.

Turniphead1 Fri 25-Jul-08 15:56:01

what reasons are they giving for changing their minds? If any?

vlc Fri 25-Jul-08 16:14:02

I planned an HB Water birth. My waters broke on the morning of 37 weeks. Phew.

(still ended up in hospital, but never mind)

good luck!

vlc Fri 25-Jul-08 16:15:39

Oh, YANBU.

There's a letter on the homebirth site which reminds them of their obligation to attend you and their liability if they don't. Have you seen it?

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 16:16:34

vlc? Orange person? Nice to see you backsmile

vlc Fri 25-Jul-08 16:20:22

thanks! yes, it's me. Missed you all, couldn't stay away.

[weak]

Thanks not going to stress any more about it now.
My pool has arrived today, I will just go with it and see what happens. smile
Last phone call was to my dh today to say Yes I can deliver in the water now, it shouldnt be a problem.
But a district nurse is going to call and discuss it with me.hmm

Maybe they changed there mind because I told mw yesterday without being rude that It is my right to have someone here and for me to have the birth I want.

I understand if they havnt done a water birth before they may feel uncomfortable or nervous, but surely its down to them to find someone who can do it.

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 21:59:41

Totally, you have every choice in the world, they have to be the ones to accommodate, not you.

sabire Fri 25-Jul-08 22:23:30

Maybe they're trying to put your blood pressure up by upsetting you, so they've got an excuse not to birth your baby at home!

Anyway - ditto what everyone else says about being assertive.

I strongly recommend the 'broken record' technique with negative health professionals (as pinched from Nicky Wesson's 'Homebirth' book)

HP: "If your waters go and you don't go into labour within 24 hours you'll have to come in and be induced you know"

Mum: I intend to have my baby at home, but thankyou for your advice - I'll be sure to consider it.

HP: "And you do realise that if there isn't a midwife free you'll have to come in and have your baby on the labour ward"

Mum: I intend to have my baby at home. I appreciate that staffing may be difficult so it's good you have a lot of notice so that you can make sure that properly qualified cover is available.

etc etc

You get the picture

grin

"Surely you have a right to have your baby at home if that's what you want (and assuming an untroubled, uncomplicated pregnancy)?"

Actually you have a right to have your baby at home, full stop. I say that as someone who had a planned homebirth after a pregnancy that wasn't 'untroubled' or 'uncomplicated'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now