Talk

Advanced search

in thinking that whenever you mention on here money is a bit tight people are just too quick to say 'get rid of your broadband'

(76 Posts)
DisenchantedPlusBump Fri 25-Jul-08 11:22:21

I mean we SAVE money because of it, we don't drive and have to do shopping over the internet, usually using free delivery codes or discount codes and if I didn't then I would have to spend £7 on the bus and struggle with all the bags, kids ect....

The amount of times Ive needed something and saw it for £xxx amount in the shops then gone online and found it for HALF that and ordered it is unreal!

And besides, broadband isn't THAT expensive anymore is it??

I mean we get it as a package with Tv, phone line and calls, and in reality if we DID cancell that package and pay seperatly for calls, line rental and TV it would probably cost the SAME we would just be sat here without the net!

maidamess Fri 25-Jul-08 11:23:17

Has someone had a go at you dis?

PuppyMonkey Fri 25-Jul-08 11:24:07

It was just a suggestion, meant a little in jest - hence the grin. Sorry if I offended.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 25-Jul-08 11:25:29

Dis, the internet, is as you say, a lifeline and a place to find support as well as hunt down those money saving tips.

I certainly wouldn't say get rid of the broadband

DisenchantedPlusBump Fri 25-Jul-08 11:26:35

No no had a go at all!

But I have seen people say it in the past with a lot more conviction.

Thisismynewname Fri 25-Jul-08 11:26:56

Yes, it's really annoying, I've seen it said to people who are basically living in poverty - broadband can be an absolute lifeline and it's a really obnoxious thing to say.

muggglewump Fri 25-Jul-08 11:27:01

I haven't had it said to me on here (yet wink) but I have on other sites.
I also pointed out it saves me money and not only that but it's my lifeline. I don't go out at all, don't buy myself anything really so the net is my social life, and the source of musice, films, TV I've missed and adult conversation

Anna8888 Fri 25-Jul-08 11:27:05

I agree that broadband really is a necessity in this day and age. Certainly not something one should think of economising on unless one is in really dire straits (no food or money to pay utilities for example).

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 25-Jul-08 11:27:10

Ah, puppy, thank you for the explanation.

Sometimes the nuances of face to face chat can be lost online.

mamadiva Fri 25-Jul-08 11:27:52

I am never off moneysavingexpert.com and also use free codes etc for shopping, where would we be without it? Mine is £20 a month (somehow managed to pick the most expensive broadband I reckon LOL.) but the money it saves me £5 a week is nothing.

DisenchantedPlusBump Fri 25-Jul-08 11:28:34

And in the same breath ... we don't really need DVD players, or Sky, or Pc's at all or CD players Or TVs ...

so maybe all us poor people should just sit on the living room floor playing tiddlywinks!

wink grin

PuppyMonkey Fri 25-Jul-08 11:34:05

I was just trying to get over the point that imo GHD straighteners ARE necessary. And could you think of some other way to raise cash.

I was just trying to save you a lot of hassle.

I might have to shoot myself now.

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 11:36:20

I've seen it said too and think it is a matter of necessary resources.
If you are paying less than what it saves you then no, don't get rid, but if you're paying for a ridiculously expensive high download/fast speed package then I would definitely say downgrade (unless you're making money selling knock off DVD's wink).

If we desperately needed cash I'd cut out alcohol, then cut off the sky, then mobile phone contracts, then buy cheaper meat, etc because to me that's the order of importance.

Without getting into a 'it's easy/hard/impossible to quit smoking debate' I often think that should be the first thing people cut down on, my parent's house was repossessed but they still smoked 20+ cigarettes a day eachhmm

DisenchantedPlusBump Fri 25-Jul-08 11:36:34

They're not really though are they.

I would rather get rid of strightners I use once every 2 days then the internet that everyone in the house uses and benefits from.

But i don't really want to get rid of them, just got a bill that needs paying

Don't worry, the threads not aimed at your comment to me really, its just something Ive heard time and time again on here.

Please don't shoot yourself grin

unknownrebelbang Fri 25-Jul-08 11:37:25

I must get my eyes tested.

I misread broadband and husband and read the OP thinking WTF?

blush

mamadiva Fri 25-Jul-08 11:37:33

Am confused at possible, hopefully sarcasm GHD straighteners are necessary???

DisenchantedPlusBump Fri 25-Jul-08 11:38:37

We don't drink, smoke, go out and already buy cheap meat! pmsl

Its not usually like this, we do fine with the monthly incoming/outgoings ... its just that over the last month a few things went tits up, then bank charges kicked in because of that, so theres a little pile of stuff that needs to be paid now before it escalates.

themildmannneredjanitor Fri 25-Jul-08 11:39:23

but people come on here saying they have no foodfor the resat of the month or they can'y shoes for their kids and they are talking on a computer that has got broadband!!!

i'm sorry but mobile phones and computers are luxuries . they are not essential!!!!!!! and just because everyone has them doesn't make them essential!
you cut your coat according to your cloth!

mamadiva Fri 25-Jul-08 11:40:20

Can't afford shoes? Who said that?

DisenchantedPlusBump Fri 25-Jul-08 11:40:40

Well I wasn't saying that MMJ, I just need to raise some extra cash this month.

Kids have shoes ...too many hmm

Maybe Ill ebay those!

Anna8888 Fri 25-Jul-08 11:40:43

I don't think a computer/broadband connection are luxuries in the same category as a mobile phone...

themildmannneredjanitor Fri 25-Jul-08 11:41:24

i deinitely do!

mumsnet is not essential!

themildmannneredjanitor Fri 25-Jul-08 11:42:06

there has been at least one post that i remember where the op couldn't afford to buy her kid new shoes.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 25-Jul-08 11:42:10

well my broadband is only £9 pm so i often wonder how people think an extra £9 pm would help, get rid of sky yes, sort your mobile contract so that you arent paying for extra minutes but bb?! is £9 pm really going to help?

PuppyMonkey Fri 25-Jul-08 11:42:40

Life without GHD? Unthinkable grin

(This is meant in jest, btw. I am a very jesty person. Like when I said I might shoot myself. I was joking).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: