Talk

Advanced search

to shut 26 month old dd in her room....

(26 Posts)
funbags Thu 24-Jul-08 20:25:24

been having a tantrum for last 50 minutes, all because she wants her vest off. Tried quietly talking to her, trying to cuddle etc to no avail. Now wailing and chucking toys around up there. She's knackered but showing no signs of abatement. What would you do?

2point4kids Thu 24-Jul-08 20:26:44

Why does she want her vest off? Is she hot or just she want a different one instead?

crokky Thu 24-Jul-08 20:27:42

Let her have her vest off?

Give her a drink?

Let her watch a DVD?

gothicmama Thu 24-Jul-08 20:27:49

how long have you shut her in for and why

lazaroulovesleggings Thu 24-Jul-08 20:28:42

Take her vest off, calm her down, then put it back on when she's asleep

sarah293 Thu 24-Jul-08 20:28:49

Message withdrawn

hercules1 Thu 24-Jul-08 20:29:52

Why cant she have her vest off? I would take it off and cuddle her to sleep holding her down if need be. Sounds extremely over tired and unable to wind down herself.

pgwithnumber3 Thu 24-Jul-08 20:29:58

Why can't she have her vest off?

memoo Thu 24-Jul-08 20:30:53

put her on the bottom step of something similar but don't shut her in her room. Its very warm today and as she is already worked up she is just going to get herself all hot and bothered shut in her bedroom on her own. don't think it will help to calm her down.

funbags Thu 24-Jul-08 20:31:50

she likes to be naked but takes off nappy if vest not on (poppers on the crotch type) and then wees/poos accidentally (she's not ready to have pants yet as doesnt realise when she is going to go) all drinks/teaddys/toys have been chucked back at me, with some force sad.

electricluluarella Thu 24-Jul-08 20:32:25

YABU

just ignore her and walk away

when she is calm , have the cuddle

why no vest off? it is hot today

hercules1 Thu 24-Jul-08 20:33:15

You need to take control. She's not able to at this age. Hold her until she calms down with lots of hugs. I would still take the vest off tbh.

lazaroulovesleggings Thu 24-Jul-08 20:33:31

Let her be naked. Lie her down with a towel under her on the sofa with a bottle and let her go to sleep. YOu can dress her after that.

thisisyesterday Thu 24-Jul-08 20:34:34

yes, YABU. why don't you just let her take the vest off??

Ispy Thu 24-Jul-08 20:35:31

Go in and pick her up. The difference between a toddler tantrum and an adult tantrum is that a toddler doesn't understand that it's going to come to an end, whereas an adult does. A tantrum is frightening for a toddler. Hug her tight and look her in the eye and tell her you understand and either take off the vest or tell her why you can't take it off, but above all validate her.

pgwithnumber3 Thu 24-Jul-08 20:36:12

Ahh, good enough reason to insist on vest, Mum's do need to have some say in what their DC have to do! I would just leave her safely to tantrum it out, she will soon give in. I used to find pandering to DD1 would prolong tantrum.

ThingOne Thu 24-Jul-08 20:37:29

Its not something I'd ever advocate at this age but fuck, I did it twice with DS1 as otherwise I'd have thumped him. Better shut in room for ten minutes than thumped.

How long has she been in there now? I'd go in quite soon with a drink and try to start from the beginning again. Deep breaths and good luck.

gothicmama Thu 24-Jul-08 20:38:47

I think if she has had some time out a cuddle and quiet time is needed with you now, sponge her down to cool her and start again

ilovemydog Thu 24-Jul-08 20:42:58

DD didn't want pj top on - tantrum followed. Took it off, and let her watch a bit of TV (ok, am bad bad mommy!)

She has calmed down and is back in bed. Window open. Sure is humid tonight?

lucyellensmum Thu 24-Jul-08 20:43:18

leave her in the room if that is where she wants to be, but please don't shut her in there.

googgly Thu 24-Jul-08 20:53:40

Put pants on the nappy so it's harder to get off

funbags Thu 24-Jul-08 20:57:33

Went and got her & she's fallen asleep on setee with me. She was only in there less than 10 mins (came straight on here after doing it cos it felt wrong), though i dont think it did either of us any harm - she deceided a cuddle might be alright after all and I regained my composure. This is my first time round with a 2 y/o, obviously have a lot to learn!
thanks x.

ilovemydog Thu 24-Jul-08 21:01:50

it's such a difficult age!

My 2 year old is on a 'no' spree! Everything is'no' which is really funny as I hardly ever say it to her! (like when she tried to put her hand on the stove, made a mad dash off the sidewalk into traffic etc)

yomellamoHelly Thu 24-Jul-08 21:04:20

Read something in some mag about putting duct tape over the nappy tabs to stop them taking their nappies off. Worth a try if the weather's still hot?

ThingOne Thu 24-Jul-08 23:24:49

Glad she fell asleep in the hug.

Have you thought about potty training? There will obviously be some wee or poo on floor whenever you try. She's probably not too young to test the water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now