Talk

Advanced search

to be pissed of with stupid shop assistant

(14 Posts)
memoo Thu 24-Jul-08 18:33:00

Earlier I was in our local co-op with the kids. I had said that they could have some sweets so they both picked what they wanted and we joined the line at the till.

We were stood in line a while and DS started getting fedup ans so began to annoy his sister by pulling her hair etc, usual kind of little brother stuff.

I told him twice to stop as DD was getting fed up, the third time I told him if he didn't behave I would put his sweets back. Its then my turn to pay, as I'm putting shopping in bags he starts tormenting his sister again, so I very calmly took his sweets of him and put them back.

He of course starts making a real fuss, but I had warned him and I'm a big believer that if I say something then I should carry it through.

Anyway, the shop assistant says "awwww, whats the matter" to DS, then she looks at me and says "he was only playing"

I swear to god I was ready to start thowing a paddy myself then!!

Why do people think they have the right to comment like that? even thinking about it now I can feel the anger rising in me. I'm so cross

mummyloveslucy Thu 24-Jul-08 18:39:19

Yes, so would I be. Interfearing old bag.angry Why do people think they have the right to comment ? I could understand it more if you smacked him in front of her, but even then it wouldn't be any of her buisness. You did the right thing 100%. Maybe she needs to watch super nanny. Don't let it worry you too much though, you always get people like this.

mummyloveslucy Thu 24-Jul-08 19:08:06

If it makes you feel any better, I've had people say to me:
She's too old to be in a pushchair. (she was 2.5)
She should answer when she is spoken too. (she has a speech disorder)
And when she was having a tantrum one day an older woman said to her friend "you can tell a soiled little princess a mile off".shock She was having a tantrum because she was frustrated that no one could undertand what she was saying, not because she couldn't get her own way. It's probubly because she had a pretty dress on or somthing. hmm
I think most mums have had this at some point.

memoo Thu 24-Jul-08 19:40:48

shock How can people be so rude! people have no idea do they, I don't know why they think they have the right to comment though. If I was hitting my child or swearing then fair enough.

the worst thing is that most of these women have probably had kids themselves so you'd think they be a little more understanding.

mummyloveslucy Thu 24-Jul-08 20:00:22

Oh yes, but their children were perfect of corse. hmm wink

shatteredmumsrus Thu 24-Jul-08 20:04:51

I think its rude too - they should mind their own bloody business. I always try and either ignore the tantruming child or give the mom some kind of comfortng comment. Never that sarcastic grin you sometimes get as if to say 'you cant handle your children'.

missblythe Thu 24-Jul-08 20:08:28

Mummyloveslucy, a good friend of mine has a DD with severe neurological probs, but you can't tell that at all from looking at her.

When people say such unhelpful comments to her, she bellows 'She can't help it, she's disabled! as loud as she can, and then walks away, but not before looking hard into their shock faces.

mummyloveslucy Thu 24-Jul-08 20:14:58

Good for her!! I wouldn't have the guts to do that, but It's good that she does. I bet they will think twice in future. wink

memoo Thu 24-Jul-08 20:19:02

MissB, i have total admiration for your friend.

When DD was about 2 she had a massive paddy in the middle of Asda, I was trying very hard to ignore her but this women was looking at me like I two heads, she just wouldn't stop staring so in the end I picked DD up and said to the women "have you never seen a child throw a tantrum before?"
she just looked at me like I was talking a different language

itati Thu 24-Jul-08 20:20:57

You can't win.

If you ignore a tantruming child and carry through a threat - you are mean.

If you give in - you are soft.

mummyloveslucy Thu 24-Jul-08 20:23:27

Strange woman, that's what 2 year olds are famous for. She obviously dosn't have children and probubly never will.

memoo Thu 24-Jul-08 20:25:34

exactly itati, people say that parents these days don't discipline their kids and thats why they grow up to be trouble teenagers but then when we do discipline them people act like we're being bad parents.

we can't do right for doing wrong

HumphreySmallPillow Thu 24-Jul-08 20:26:53

I think you did the right thing in putting the sweets back.

I'd have done the same.

I don't think the shop assistant said anything to warrant such anger really.

mummyloveslucy Thu 24-Jul-08 20:33:31

All we can do is carry on doing what we know is right and try to ignore silly comments. It is very hard though, and my blood does boil to be honest.
I never realised before I had my daughter, that to be a mother you have to be so thick skinned. I never imagined people saying things like that.
I have waited a long time to become a mother and she is my absolute pride and joy and I know I do my best at bringing her up. That's all that matters.
Don't any of you Mums let ideots put you down. We are all doing fantastic jobs. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now