Talk

Advanced search

to get totally annoyed with people parking on pavements?

(59 Posts)
Flossish Thu 24-Jul-08 08:33:33

I had an altercation with a lady a couple of days ago. She was parked up on a corner on the pavement. No room for me to get through with buggy and 3 yr old, so we had to try and walk out into a busy road to get past. I shot her 'a look' when we got round to the front of the vehicle, and she shouted something out. I didn't her so went and asked her to repeat herself. 'I said its no good shooting me dirty looks, i'm waiting for someone in the job centre so I have to wait here'. I pointed out the car park across the road and told her that she shouldn't be blocking the pavement. She retorted i should have asked her to move!! Erm how? Tell my 3 yr old to wait on the pavement (I do wish he always did as he was told but by lord he doesn't!) and go round the van to ask her to move? What would be the point in that! GRrrrr!

barbarellaselectric Thu 24-Jul-08 08:37:53

YANBU, DD starts school in Sep and the road we have to walk on has cars parked more on the pavement than off, we have been to visit twice and I can no get the buggy through the gap, never mind with dd at the side of me, I thougt pavements were for pedestrains. What always worries me is if it is so hard with a buggy what is it like for someone in a wheelchair.

Kimi Thu 24-Jul-08 08:43:36

I hate this and the amount of cars I scratched with the buggys when the children were smaller must add up to a lot of new paint.

I would have looked for a traffic warden or one of the plastic police people and sent them over to her

sarah293 Thu 24-Jul-08 08:44:49

Message withdrawn

Troutpout Thu 24-Jul-08 08:46:29

yanbu...drives me farking mad

Kimi Thu 24-Jul-08 08:47:29

Someone down the road has two cars and a drive that fits one and a half of them, so half is left out over the pavement, you end up having to walk in the road to get past it.

It ended up with some very nasty scratches on it, new car too such a shame

sarah293 Thu 24-Jul-08 08:48:30

Message withdrawn

lizziemun Thu 24-Jul-08 08:50:10

YANBU

I 'got' told off hmm for closing someone wing mirror up so i could walk pass her car with my pram and 4yr.

I asked her politely to explain to me why it was acceptable for me to walk down the middle of the road with a small child and pram just so she could park as close to her front door as possible. She had no answer went indoors very red faced. I could have added is she had trimed her hedge instead of letting grow over halve the pavement then it would not have been a probelm.

MrsTittleMouse Thu 24-Jul-08 08:58:36

I always think the same - if I can't get through with my narrow buggy, how on earth do people with double buggies or wheelchairs manage? I suspect that they don't. It makes me so angry. Especially as it seems especially prevalent around our local hospital. hmmangry

wannaBe Thu 24-Jul-08 09:07:17

yanbu.

There is someone on our street that does this all the time, despite the fact they have space for at least two cars on their driveway.

I refuse to walk out in the road on principle and have taken to walking across their garden instead. wink.

frootloop Thu 24-Jul-08 09:13:31

sometimes though people have to park on pavements. where we live if everone parked on the road(like you're supposed to) fire engines and ambulances couldnt get through.

my dad is a fireman and they have had to roll half a streets worth of cars over to get to a fire, imagine if there were children in that house[shudder]

YumeeMumee Thu 24-Jul-08 09:20:37

I agree totally....this happens to me quite a bit as I'm on a mission at the moment with the nice weather [and trying to lose a few pounds wink to try and walk everywhere and I have to say that it's extremely annoying. If it means that I squeeze by and have to close a wing mirror or accidentally scratch the side of a car then so be it - I have to say that I don't feel guilty about it.

It makes me so mad that I usually hope that I do scratch the car but so far I have managed not to!! shock

theressomethingaboutmarie Thu 24-Jul-08 09:23:11

I've had a similiar situation to this. I really had to struggle to get past this VERY stupid womans car with DD in her pram. She had just walked across the road so I shouted to her to get her attention and told her that she was exceptionally rude for blocking the path. She told me that she was only going to be there for a few minutes. I didn't give a damn and told her so.

Funnily enough, one of our old neighbours used to park his car partly on the pavement and caused such an obstruction. Strangely he then put a sticker in his window saying "pavements for people" and started to park on the road. He then clearly changed his mind about this, removed the sticker and started to park on the pavement again... hmm

MsPontipine Thu 24-Jul-08 09:40:40

I got called a stupid cow and told to "jog on" ?? how? in front of ds outside his school the other day after politely pointing out how dangerous it was for her to park on the pavement when we were trying to pass by. This was straight after narrowly avoiding being mowed down by the land rover in front of her also parked on path. Her defense was most people walk in the other direction up the road ???????????!!

She got out of her car and was really threatening I thought she was going to whop me one.

She said when I passed her car before I ended up scratching her car with ds's scooter when trying to squeeze past.

Flossish Thu 24-Jul-08 09:45:51

What made this woman all the more stupid though was that she was parked up opposite a public car park! Which i have to say after our littl chat she did get up and move to.

TimeForMe Thu 24-Jul-08 09:57:53

YANBU! I hate this too. When my children were in the pram and after getting sick of being forced onto the road I made some little cards saying "Pavements are for PEDESTRIANS!!" and would put one under the windscreen wiper as I passed. It became a sort of hobby grin

Bumdiddley Thu 24-Jul-08 10:32:16

On our road the cars are allowed the park on the pavements - both sides.

There is extra wide kerbs to park on so they don't encroach onto the pedestrian bit.

Of course there is always a few selfish twunts who park right over the footway so if you have a pushchair you have to go in the road.

I'm with the poster on another thread. The Boadicea style. Flick a switch and barbs come out of the pram wheels <cue Ride of the Valkyries>

sarah293 Thu 24-Jul-08 10:37:07

Message withdrawn

2shoes Thu 24-Jul-08 10:37:36

yanbu
and as for people with wheelchairs. we don't manage. it is a bloody nightmare. and the selfics fuckers deserve to get their cars dented.

Fimbo Thu 24-Jul-08 10:39:40

I have put plant pots out so my neighbour (who has 2 parking spaces) doesn't park right outside my front door (new build estate and door is right on to the pavement).

My local parish council is going to be issuing notices to people who park on the edge of pavements etc, to tell them they will have to pay for damage to grass verges/replacement edging.

branflake81 Thu 24-Jul-08 10:41:06

actually i can see both sides.

Where I live there is no off street parking so everyone has to park on the street. if they park legally (ie not on the pavement) there is no room for cars on the road to drive past and it gets really chaotic.

But YANBU if there is no need for it.

TheCrackFox Thu 24-Jul-08 10:41:39

YANBU - this is my pet hate with car drivers. They are so lazy that they cannot even be bothered with parking the extra 50 metres away that it would normally take.

I always made sure my buggy would scratch the car.

Fimbo Thu 24-Jul-08 10:43:36

Riven shock

Your post has brought tears to my eyes - that is truly shocking.

PeppermintPatty Thu 24-Jul-08 10:45:50

YANBU this annoys me too.

It also annoys me when people park at bus stops so the bus can't pull in. Then the bus driver just stops in the middle of the road and I have to push the buggy out into the road and struggle to get it onto the bus.

It also annoys me when traffic queues up over a pedestrian crossing (instead of keeping it clear) and the green man comes on but you can't get the buggy across cos of all the stupid cars in the way.

Worryingaboutit Thu 24-Jul-08 10:46:44

Timeforme grin

I saw a not glued to a windscreen once that said "you are an absolute wanker to park like this".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now