Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed by mothers who make a big show of crying at the nursery but...

(201 Posts)
Gateau Wed 23-Jul-08 13:18:21

Yes, they can't wait to tell anyone who will listen how they couldn't stop crying for the first few weeks of dropping off LO at nursery. And then, hey, before you know it, they're skipping off on a weekend away with DH - and LO is left high and dry at home with the grandparents. And there is not a word about it.

posieflump Wed 23-Jul-08 13:20:08

I only ever see kids crying at drop off at nursery
The mothers all skip merrily away asap

I think it's lovely to have a weekend away ad leave lo's with grandparents, they are not being left high and dry at all!! Are you envy at all? wink

to summise yabu

EffiePerine Wed 23-Jul-08 13:20:33

yabu

it is allowed to feel upset at leaving child at nursery and perfectly OK to leave them with their own family

what an odd thing to get annoyed about

DisenchantedPlusBump Wed 23-Jul-08 13:20:46

But the grandparents are familiar, they aren't a big, new, scary place with new people and a sign of them growing up <<sniff>>

<disclaimer> have never left my kids at nursery OR at nanas whilst we go away grin

RubySlippers Wed 23-Jul-08 13:21:12

i don't understand your point

i sobbed once at DS's nursery - i wasn't making a show

hmm

EffiePerine Wed 23-Jul-08 13:21:38

so why does it annoy you?

do you not agree with putting children in nursery? or leaving them with family while you enjoy yourselves?

sarah293 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:22:16

Message withdrawn

SheikYerbouti Wed 23-Jul-08 13:22:59

YABU

I high 5 DP on the way out of my Mum's when she has the bouys, but I blubbed on DS1's 1st day of nursery, because I'm a poof.

It doth not make me needy or daft, just someone happy that thier child is gorwing up, but sad that their child is no longer a baby

WideWebWitch Wed 23-Jul-08 13:23:28

What ARE you on about?

TigerFeet Wed 23-Jul-08 13:23:56

YABU

Leaving a child at nursery can be really hard for some, especially if you don't want to but have to work. Doesn't mean that someone isn't entitled to spend a weekend away from their dc. "High and dry"?? Really?? I wouldn't consider leaving my dd with her grandparents as leaving her high and dry. hmm

SheikYerbouti Wed 23-Jul-08 13:24:23

Yes, I am a buit hmm at "lefyt high and dry"

My kids have a cracking time with my mum. They never want to come home. How is that being left "high and dry?"

It'sd a bit different to locking them in a coal shed, you know

Rubyrubyruby Wed 23-Jul-08 13:24:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EffiePerine Wed 23-Jul-08 13:25:18

Your parents don't lock them in the coal shed? shock

used to be the highlight of our visits wink

notjustmom Wed 23-Jul-08 13:25:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gateau Wed 23-Jul-08 13:25:45

You are missing my point, posie.
I have known mums who have been "really upset" (so they tell me)at leaving their LO at nursery for the first few weeks. And then they have gone off for a weekend and left LO very happily.
I am not critising anyone who does either seperate thing.
But my point is: how can they be REALLy upset at leaving LO for one day and then don't mind leaving their kids for a whole weekend?

And no, I am not jealous at all. Why would I be? I can leave Lo with the gparents anytone I want for a weekend away. I just don;t care to.

HughJasss Wed 23-Jul-08 13:25:49

Big difference between leaving at nursery and leaving with grandparent (the differences are so obvious I'm not even going to mention them.)

I can imagine myself crying when leaving dd as nursery for first time but I'd have to be crazy to cry when leaving her with her grandparents!

Its a bit cruel to assume these mothers are only crying for 'show' as well.

flowerybeanbag Wed 23-Jul-08 13:25:50

Unless there is a coal shed involved at grandparents' house then YABU

nervousal Wed 23-Jul-08 13:26:05

eh? What's your point? theres a huge difference between little one passing a milestone and heading off to nursery/school with a load of strangers and them spending time with their grandparents?

Am I missing something? Or is this a particularly bad troll?

sarah293 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:26:51

Message withdrawn

posieflump Wed 23-Jul-08 13:27:11

because leaving your child with your mum is compeltely different to leaving your child with a stranger!!

almostblue Wed 23-Jul-08 13:27:47

Perhaps, Gateau, they have a sense of perspective?

sarah293 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:27:55

Message withdrawn

Gateau Wed 23-Jul-08 13:27:57

Still agree that I think it's strange..

RubySlippers Wed 23-Jul-08 13:28:48

the two things are mutually exclusive

leaving DS at nursery when he was 6 months old to go back to work was a HUGE adjustment

i know for lots of PARENTS it is upsetting

leaving DCs with loving grandparents for a night is utterly different

and you not might care to leave your DSs with their grandparents but plenty of other people do

noonki Wed 23-Jul-08 13:29:18

YABU I bawled when I left both of mine with the minder for the first time, though she is lovely and they probably have more fun with her and they never minded...

it is horrible to have to leave them if you don't want to (money/work)

I left mine with my parents for a weekend once as well. The kids loved it, my parents were nearly sent to an early grave but had a ball, and we had a great time but I got dewy eyed at very kid I saw.

Of course they are bawling they have to go to their crap job instead of being with their kids

but on a weekend away they are on holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now