Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To Be Irritated By Mums Who...

(204 Posts)
LeQueen Wed 23-Jul-08 12:54:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EsmeWeatherwax Wed 23-Jul-08 12:58:29

No, its totally irritating. But on the other hand they are trying to do their best for their kids I suppose. Just why do they need to make such a big deal of it!

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 12:59:57

Don't think I've ever heard a parent say any of those things in RL.

Gateau Wed 23-Jul-08 13:01:10

It's down to one thing and one thing only - COMPETITION. The children don't feature. It's pathetic and mothers like this need to get out a bit more.

happystory Wed 23-Jul-08 13:01:47

I have belgo! My SIL wouldn't employ a nanny with a northern accent in case it rubbed off on her kids....

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 13:02:39

really Happystory - that's plain snobbery.

OrmIrian Wed 23-Jul-08 13:03:28

I've not heard many of those. But we don't live in that sort of place grin

However I do know some mothers that are into competitive-parenting. I think it's quite a popular past-time in some circles....

happystory Wed 23-Jul-08 13:03:36

I know! And guess who's got a Northern accent? ME!!!!

Gateau Wed 23-Jul-08 13:03:55

The worst one I got asked was, "Which toy's does your DS play with most??"

And my answer?

"I haven't a bloody clue. He doesn't play much with his toys."

That shut her up.

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 13:04:20

does she let you speak to her kids Happystory?

beanieb Wed 23-Jul-08 13:05:07

What exactly does this mean - "I like to model good pronunciation to my children."?

almostblue Wed 23-Jul-08 13:07:39

YABU. More to the point, you are indulging in reverse snobbery, which is just as tedious and small-minded as the other kind.

happystory Wed 23-Jul-08 13:07:42

On high days and holidays!

LeQueen Wed 23-Jul-08 13:07:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sarah293 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:09:00

Message withdrawn

MrsPhas3 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:16:17

Is it really competitive? Surely all parents have priorities and sometimes we may feel we have to defend our decision to put what we feel is a priority above what someone else considers to be theirs. I've been known to do this, so I put my hands up if this makes me a smug parent.

I suppose it depends how it is done and why the subject comes up.

noonki Wed 23-Jul-08 13:19:06

I had another mother tell me that their kid had never watched TV (aged 4) only to later hear him sing bob the builder... oh how i smirked!

Oblomov Wed 23-Jul-08 13:19:24

Noone in RL says this surely ?
Only on Mn are these kind of things discussed.

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 13:20:46

grin noonki

sarah293 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:20:51

Message withdrawn

minouminou Wed 23-Jul-08 13:26:34

Yep, i've heard this kinda stuff round here
also, there's one mother who won't let her DD talk to me just in case she catches northern (i assume that's the reason), so that's why i always make a big show of talking to her DD as loudly and as northernly as poss, in the 15 seconds before she's whisked away
as for farmer's market, yeah, we go, but only cos it's cheaper than organic food elsewhere
as for the northern accent and pronunciation thing - an accent needn't affect how you pronounce words - your SIL is incredibly ignorant and really showing herself up

scootermum Wed 23-Jul-08 13:29:34

I ignore it and when asked how my DD's have spent their morning gaily reply that they have been glued to Cbeebies whilst eating non organic crisps and drinking fruit shoots.grin

I once took this one step further when at a toddlers group populated my some very competitive mums.During the singing at the end during which they take requests I requested the theme tune to 'Balamory' grin
I think they quite like having me there as it gives them someone to tut about.grin

Actually underneath it all they are mostly quite nice-I just think that nowadays you can read too much parenting advice, and go mad about all the stuff you should be doing in an ideal world and its all written in annoying psycho babble type language-which sounds all the more silly when its quoted verbatim by the Mum in the street or whatever..

sarah293 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:30:52

Message withdrawn

Sim43 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:31:48

Where I come from we pronounce things with a flat accent, ie., laugh would be pronounced laff not larff, and grass would be grASS not grARSE grin sorry did not mean that to be rude! My DS was a Thomas the tank engine addict as a toddler and he started to use the same pronunciation as Ringo Starr. He would say stationmarster instead of how we would say it as master. I thought it was incredibly cute!

sarah293 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:32:43

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now