Talk

Advanced search

To expect one of DDs Godparents to actually acknowledge her birthday.

(14 Posts)
lucyellensmum Wed 23-Jul-08 10:30:49

DD has four god parents, one couple and two separate friends. Not one of them has contacted me or sent DD a card. I'm quite upset about it. Its not about presents, she will do OK on that score but i chose these people because they were our friends and i feel a bit abandoned as i suppose they were pre-baby friends. Anyway, we are off to get the ingredients for DD to make her own birthday cake. She says i am "only the grown up helper" and as such, im only allowed to put it in the oven - wish me luck. I may be posting on health later wink

whispywhisp Wed 23-Jul-08 10:37:55

LEM...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DD......!!!!

(I have posted on your other thread).xxx

In response to this thread. No, it isn't nice to have not rec'd anything for your DDs birthday from her Godparents. But, having said that, my kids have got Godparents. Occasionally they may get a card from one of the GP's but certainly nothing from the others. It's the way it goes. I don't get upset about it. I just think well, they've got me and my DH...sod the rest of them!

Don't get upset by their lack of interest in their God-children. Their loss after all. xxxx

Have a lovely day and good luck with the baking! smile xx

chutneymary Wed 23-Jul-08 10:40:27

Mine are the same. I had a card and present from one, a text from another and diddly squat all from the 3rd. It's not about the gifts is it - just remembering is important.

sleepycat Wed 23-Jul-08 10:40:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lazylou Wed 23-Jul-08 10:41:11

YANBU. I am fortunate in that I have five god children ranging in ages from 18 to 2. They live in different areas of the country and belong to different families. Most of them, I don't see with any regularity but I always make sure I send at least a birthday card not for any other reason, but so they know that I am thinking of them on their special day. Don't get me wrong, there have been occasions where I have forgotten (although these have been rare!) as I am by no means perfect, but a phonecall doesn't hurt and again, shows them that I am thinking of them.

Good luck with the cake baking and happy birthday to your DD smile

lucyellensmum Wed 23-Jul-08 10:41:34

thanks whispy, im still blurry eyed from my cold so the cake making is going to be interesting to say the least. Im getting excited now - DD will get her bike when daddy gets home (went halves with MIL) and her trampoline that i am coming round to the idea of. To be totally honest, we don't see the GPs now so, its no loss to DD at all.

I just think that when you become someone's God parent there should be at least a token level of commitment. It makes me feel like i didnt choose the right people.

ScottishMummy Wed 23-Jul-08 10:55:23

some people have kind hearts but terrible memories.dont read too much in to it.certainly not abandonment issue

anyway happy birthday lo

whispywhisp Wed 23-Jul-08 11:23:55

My God-Mum sent me a card when I was little and still does, every single year, and she's in her 90s now. I am God-Mum to my Nephew and always remember him on his birthday and Christmas.

My eldest DD (aged 9) had my sister and her husband and two friends of ours that were married at the time. My sister always remembers and is, in fact, very generous when it comes to my kids. My friends have since split and divorced and we don't hear from either of them.

My younger DD (aged 4) had two friends who are married and we don't hear from them, although at the time we'd been friends for many years and saw a lot of them, now we don't. She also had the same God Mum as DD1 who had divorced. Again we don't hear from her at all.

I think it all depends on how that person feels about being a GP as to whether or not they think or remember their God-Child. At the time, when we asked the various people, they thought it was great, how exciting etc etc. Now...nothing.

Again, like I've said before, its their loss at the end of the day.

LEM...just enjoy today. Your day with your little girl. xxxxx

<<<<hangs head in shame>>>>

I am one of them type of godparents. Currently have Godson's birthday present, all wrapped and card written, waiting to deliver it to him. His birthday was 2 weeks ago blush Annoyingly I had the pressie a month before his birthday. Had hoped to pop round to see him, despite pressie being think enough to go thru the letterbox, but haven't.

You have every right to be peed off at lax Godparents, I'm annoyed at myself

moondog Wed 23-Jul-08 22:13:07

I think you have to accept that noone finds yer kids as enchanting as you do.

moondog Wed 23-Jul-08 22:13:10

I think you have to accept that noone finds yer kids as enchanting as you do.

moondog Wed 23-Jul-08 22:13:56

My fiend made me one to her kid and sent me framedpics of her then bollockedmefor 'not getting to know her'

moondog Wed 23-Jul-08 22:14:35

a.( Ihave my own kidsto get to know
b.( Itold her it wasn't agood ideaanyway.

Califrau Wed 23-Jul-08 22:16:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now