Talk

Advanced search

In asking a 4 year old to stop teasing DD 22m?

(11 Posts)
callmeovercautious Tue 22-Jul-08 15:21:52

In the Supermarket today a very lovely little girl kept coming up to DD and obviously wanting to play with her. No problem except DD was in a terrible mood and was crying. Little girl came over again and was showing DD a teddy, DD obviously wanted it! So I asked little girl (very nicely) not to show her the teddy as she would want to keep it.

Little girl went back to her Mum - who then very loudly said "don't worry darling - some people don't like children touching their babies".

This has been bugging me. I was very nice to the Little Girl, DD was crying. But what the other woman said made me feel I had been a bit PFB/unreasonable.

Was I?

spicemonster Tue 22-Jul-08 15:23:51

You weren't unreasonable - sounds like the other woman jumped to conclusions. I've had a kid do this to my baby on the bus - put something in front of him and then snatch it away. It makes him cry and is very irritating. At least you had somewhere to send her!

wotulookinat Tue 22-Jul-08 15:31:00

I've experienced this too - very annoying. The older kiddie means well, but it doesn't help.

Heated Tue 22-Jul-08 15:36:06

Wait til you have another, they do this all the time! Irritating other mother though.

nametaken Tue 22-Jul-08 16:07:53

Were you a little terse towards the girl because your own DD was crying and stressing you out?

callmeovercautious Tue 22-Jul-08 18:42:52

I don't think so - I'm not usually grumpy to little girls in Spermarkets grin I know what you mean though, perhaps I had a stressed face! She wasn't upset at all but her Mummy obviously was sad

kerryk Tue 22-Jul-08 18:48:18

we all get a bit defensive when it comes to our own children though.

had i been the other mum and my dd was trying to help you and you sent her away i would have thought ungrateful cow, can she not see how wonderful my dd is grin

had i been you i would have sent the little girl packing and thought bloody hell some kids are far to forcefull grin

savoycabbage Tue 22-Jul-08 18:57:13

I agree with kerryk.

Both of my dds race up to crying babies if they see any, They did it this afternoon in IKEA and I have told them to sing a nice song for a baby - not to avoid what happened to you but just so that they aren't staring at a baby. Some people don't like your children getting involved with theirs but you can't stop them really.

I think I would have used the little girl and her teddy as a distraction to get my baby to stop crying, not for the benefit of the little girl, and then dealt with the whole teddy situation if it arose.

callmeovercautious Tue 22-Jul-08 20:24:44

See now I agree with you both, far too reasonable you lot!

callmeovercautious Tue 22-Jul-08 20:24:44

See now I agree with you both, far too reasonable you lot!

callmeovercautious Tue 22-Jul-08 20:25:16

oh c**p blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now