Talk

Advanced search

To leave something simmering on the hob while i go out, i'll be about an hour.

(15 Posts)
lucyellensmum Mon 21-Jul-08 15:52:57

OK, so i have two pans of stock simmering, i really need to get stuff from the town - but i could do with letting the stock simmer some more. They are full of water so unlikely to boil dry - how insane would it be of me to leave them simmering?

SoupKitchen Mon 21-Jul-08 15:54:10

Insane turn them off and pop a lid on then continue when you get home.

lazaroulovesleggings Mon 21-Jul-08 15:54:59

I wouldn't risk it

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 15:55:12

I have a friend who lets stuff simmer for ages while she is out, but I wouldn't do it. I'd be far too worried about something bad happening.

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 15:55:46

Don't be silly LEM, they will improve as they cool down anyhow. do not leave them on the heat.

Egg Mon 21-Jul-08 15:56:01

Don't do it.

I was boiling some potatoes last year and wandered into the garden to play with DS1. Within 15 mins the pan had boiled dry and turned black and would have caught fire if I hadn't come back in.

Admittedly I had the heat up too high, but I have boiled many a spud in my life and never had that happen before.

Just not worth it.

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 15:57:05

Don't.

If anything happened to your home, your insurance may deny coverage in such a case.

Put one of them in a slow cooker.

Sidge Mon 21-Jul-08 15:57:16

It's not worth the risk.

Stick the lid on, then start it up again when you get in.

bohemianbint Mon 21-Jul-08 15:58:03

I seem to manage to burn pans even if I stay in the house with them. hmm Prob best not.

fryalot Mon 21-Jul-08 15:58:18

put it in an ovenproof pot and put it in the oven on a low light.

Twill be fine and the house won't burn down.

Egg Mon 21-Jul-08 15:59:13

Or the other thing that also happened to me with my spuds blush (I am clearly a crap cook), was they boiled over and the water put the flame out, hence nearly gassing my poor DTs who were only about a week old...

Of course you may have elec hob, but not sure the outcome is any better. If your pans are full of water even on a low heat they might boil over.

lucyellensmum Mon 21-Jul-08 16:04:16

That'l be a no then hmm can't actually believed i considered it tbh - nah, im going to stop here and make DP go for the seasoning when he gets in from work grin.

lucyellensmum Mon 21-Jul-08 16:05:31

When you consider i have burnt the carrots twice this week whilst "popping onto mumsnet" it probably isn't a good idea. LEM wonders if it is a good idea her being allowed to use anything that has a naked flame in the first place grin

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 16:08:06

There's no such thing as 'popping onto MN'!

Ripeberry Mon 21-Jul-08 18:04:45

It is the law of Sod, that if thou dost leave those pans simmering, thou shalt not get back in time and thy pots will turned to black and thou shalt pay for your sins with the scrub of hell.wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now