Talk

Advanced search

to not want some inconsiderate Twonk to light a bloody fire!?!

(21 Posts)
KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 12:01:34

Message withdrawn

mishymoo Mon 21-Jul-08 12:05:37

YANBU at all! One of our neighbours started a fire in his garden late yesterday afternoon and I was about to hang some linen out angry! I then overheard another neighbour asking him to put it out because they had washing out and all the smoke was going in his house!

Some people really are inconsiderate and just don't think!

TheHedgeWitch Mon 21-Jul-08 12:08:04

Message withdrawn

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 12:09:13

It's odd to have a fire in the morning anyway. Go and shout abuse loudly in the garden!!

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 12:13:04

Message withdrawn

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 21-Jul-08 12:15:24

YANBU, however, IME, if you leave the washing out (and if possible until after the smoke has dissipated), it shouldnt make your washing smell.

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 12:18:10

Message withdrawn

wooga Mon 21-Jul-08 12:21:22

I had this happen last week.

It was the first decent dry day we'd had for a while and I had a load of washing to put out plus my house needed airing out after scrambled eggs(!)angry

I'm in a row of terraces so smoke goes right in your house from neighbour's garden if the windows are open.

awayfromhome Mon 21-Jul-08 12:22:26

YANBU - We have a conservatory on the back of our house and we get the windows properly cleaned about every 18 months, because it costs a small fortune.

Got them done recently, someone lit a bonfire (in a smoke free zone - where they aren't allowed) and within 30 minutes all the external glass was covered in ash... I was extremely angry

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 12:41:40

Message withdrawn

RusselBrussel Mon 21-Jul-08 12:50:27

I think bonfires are unreasonable, yes, but I don't think you can complain about BBQs. After all, many people like to take advantage of nice weather and not just for laundry purposes smile

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 12:53:20

Message withdrawn

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 15:27:11

A BBQ in the evening is a different matter. A fire in the morning is out of order.

SaintGeorge Mon 21-Jul-08 15:39:23

awayfromhome - a smoke free zone doesn't mean bonfires are banned, it only controls what type of fuel can be used for heating appliances.

There are no bylaws in your area banning bonfires Knickers, BUT if they cause a nuisance to neighbours or the smoke drifts into a road and causes problems for traffic then the Twonk could be breaking other laws. Might be worth talking to the council if it happens again.

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 15:48:37

Message withdrawn

RusselBrussel Mon 21-Jul-08 18:26:28

Sorry knickers, I know it was not you complaining about the bbq's, it was a different poster.
smile

awayfromhome Tue 22-Jul-08 10:08:34

SaintGeorge - Didn't know that.. when I ranted at the council (yes I was very cross) they said that bonfires were not allowed in the area.

jammi Tue 22-Jul-08 10:16:37

Message withdrawn

bergentulip Tue 22-Jul-08 10:25:12

YABU.

If people have fires, and want to light them- it has been cold in the evenings!- then they can. Likewise bbqs. Just bad luck if you've wanted to hang washing out.

cheesesarnie Tue 22-Jul-08 10:27:24

our washing regulary smells of poo from when they spray maure on the feilds behind usgrinlovely country air!

DocBunches Tue 22-Jul-08 10:49:21

YANBU

We had this on Sunday when the people whose garden backs onto our garden decided to have a bonfire going for 5 hours! Our garden was thick with smoke and ash and we had to stay in the house with the windows closed as the smell was so disgusting. We didn't say anything, but we definitely will if it starts to become a regular thing.

I'm OK with BBQs as they don't last long and generally are not offensive, but I can't see any justification for lighting bonfires these days, ie, there are plenty of other ways to get rid of waste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now