Talk

Advanced search

To be worried that I found my husbands disposable contact lenses in my nanny's wardrobe ?

(58 Posts)
mousemole Sun 20-Jul-08 19:15:47

I am not sure what to make of this but am a bit concerned.
We have a live in au pair who goes to central London at weekends to stay with her friends. I was putting some washing away in her wardrobe this afternoon and noticed that poking out of a pile of t shirts was a strip of my husbands disposable contact lenses. They had been deliberately hidden. It is very odd to steal someone elses prescription contact lenses is it not ? I cant think of any other way of them getting there except her putting them there. I just dont know what to think, she is the most wonderful au pair but this is all so odd. Help.

NorthernLurker Sun 20-Jul-08 19:17:04

How old are your children?

nickytwotimes Sun 20-Jul-08 19:17:30

Could one of the kids have hidden them as a joke, not meaning to get her into trouble?

mrschop Sun 20-Jul-08 19:18:00

Did she not just put a pile of washing down on the worktop and scoop the lenses up? I'm always finding all sorts that gets swept into my cupboards.

belgo Sun 20-Jul-08 19:18:13

could they have fallen into a pile of clean washing, and got put away with it?

mousemole Sun 20-Jul-08 19:18:25

sorry, boys are 1 and 3 and the shelf was way too high for them to reach

charliecat Sun 20-Jul-08 19:18:47

he may have put them on a pile of clothes, some more have been lumped on top and youve just found them.

mousemole Sun 20-Jul-08 19:20:33

charliecat, I have thought of scenarios like that but she does all her washing and ironing herself seperately and DH's lenses all live in our bathroom so cant see how something like that or similar would have happened.

TurkeyLurkey Sun 20-Jul-08 19:20:50

Are you going to mention it to her? They could have got there innocently like others say. I'd say something like "god you'll never guess what I found amongst the clean clothes in your wardrobe blah blah' and watch beadily for her reaction.

tiggerlovestobounce Sun 20-Jul-08 19:22:09

What are you worried may be going on?
Would be very strange to take someone elses lenses, as chances of them being same fit and prescription must be unlikely.

peggotty Sun 20-Jul-08 19:22:42

Can't you just ask her? I'm presuming that she knows you go into her wardrobe when you put clothes away?

Heated Sun 20-Jul-08 19:22:46

Usually they are very transparent looking and hard to spot, so I'd presume they'd got scooped up. I can't see anything sinister in this - it's not a wad a cash or stray underwear - and pointless too because they are prescription.

nickytwotimes Sun 20-Jul-08 19:22:54

There are many ways they could have ended up there.
I am a control freak tidy person and we still end up finding stuff in the oddest places.
Tbh, if she was going to nick something, she wouldn't go for contact lenses!

mousemole Sun 20-Jul-08 19:23:28

I feel like asking her about it but am scared as dont want a showdown etc. I am being a chicken aren't I. I am a bit battle weary as last au pair was fired for stealing ( money from my purse). And yes, these are all from an agency.

KatieDD Sun 20-Jul-08 19:23:52

My sister was the nanny who shagged the husband it happens a lot, I never left mine alone with each other.

belgo Sun 20-Jul-08 19:24:44

I also find it hard to see a sinister explanation for this.

I wouldn't say anything, especially as you say she is a wonderful au pair.

peggotty Sun 20-Jul-08 19:24:58

Yes, it is a very odd thing to steal - it really sounds like they might have got there b accident...

georgimama Sun 20-Jul-08 19:25:02

do you think she stole them, or do you think he is shagging her? Because I can't really see howin a sex context an entire strip of his disposible contact lenses ends up in her wardrobe.

All of the innocent explanations above sound completely credible to me. I don't think you need to worry (at least not on this evidence alone).

mousemole Sun 20-Jul-08 19:25:10

ummm, thanks KatieDD, wasn't really that I was worried about !

TurkeyLurkey Sun 20-Jul-08 19:25:32

Ask her in a non confrontational way. You have no evidence that she pinched them, there may be a genuine explanation.

Then watch her like a hawk grin

KatieDD Sun 20-Jul-08 19:25:42

Perhaps you should be hmm

donovan Sun 20-Jul-08 19:25:53

weirder things have happened, I FOUND DH best shirt in my nightie draWER THE OTHER DAy, how did that get there? who knows.

mousemole Sun 20-Jul-08 19:28:53

yes thanks again Katie DD. Just to be clear, I am not worried my husand is shagging the au pair- for a start he works away Mon - Fri so they are never alone together !!
I agree it is just the oddest thing to 'steal'but being insanely logical I just cant work out how they could have got there. Its not like the clothes are folded near where they are stored. They come in strips in a big box that live on a high shelf in our bathroom.

TurkeyLurkey Sun 20-Jul-08 19:30:14

Yes Mousemole divorce him right now he must be shagging her senseless in the wardrobe and thats how they got there!!
KatieDD what are you on about?

NorthernLurker Sun 20-Jul-08 19:30:27

Are they definately his - or could they be hers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now