Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if SIL's smoking is the cause of this?

(54 Posts)
Flossish Sat 19-Jul-08 22:28:02

Her DD is 5 months old and has been in hospital with croup. Her eldest used to have this and athsma, but mirculously improved when she gave up smoking when pregnant. Now she has started again as an 'appetite suppressant' and within weeks her DD has exactly the same problems. sad

hunkermunker Sat 19-Jul-08 22:31:28

Does she smoke in the house/car when the children are there?

<reserves judgement in case she is a considerate end of the garden at midnight smoker>

<suspects uberkind reservation though>

ssd Sat 19-Jul-08 22:32:24

selfish cow

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sat 19-Jul-08 22:33:10

you can get croup in a smoke free house

BetteNoire Sat 19-Jul-08 22:34:06

Does she smoke near the children?

Flossish Sat 19-Jul-08 22:35:01

she smokes outside the house. But recent research has shown that smoke on clothes can also cause harm.

Hunker - she gave the baby at about 3/4 weeks water in the night to get her to sleep through.... how's the judgment going now? grin

fryalot Sat 19-Jul-08 22:35:10

wonder all you like.

I wouldn't mention it to her though, she won't thank you for it.

Flossish Sat 19-Jul-08 22:35:57

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3476743.stm

here is the research.

Flossish Sat 19-Jul-08 22:37:33

I am considering it, in a very non judgemental way of course. She claims she doesn't get addicted to fags hmm and they are just designed to get her slim for her wedding. Dp has pointed out in the nicest possible way she was fat before when she smoked so whats going to be different this time? shock

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sat 19-Jul-08 22:39:15

but no mention of croup there.

ScottishMummy Sat 19-Jul-08 22:39:27

Croup is an upper respiratory tract infection maj Viral some bacterial.commonly the croup "bark" is viral and symptomatic of thickening of vocal cords.

not caused by smoking

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sat 19-Jul-08 22:41:10

Dh gave up smoking when I was pregnant (I made a deal with him!). We had discussed smoking etc and how damaging it can be for children.

When DD was about 3 months old, she got bronchiolitis, we had to take her to hospital etc. It was awful.

She was given an inhaler when she was about a year old, doctor thought she was suffering from asthma. She has had numerous chest infections. A doctor asked whether we had been worried about cystic fibrosis.

DH had given up smoking, we never took her anywhere smokey, nobody smoked around her.

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sat 19-Jul-08 22:41:33

mention of smoking here - ad this ^is^ american

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sat 19-Jul-08 22:42:22

ouc.
that was meant tobe NO mention of smoking!!

Flossish Sat 19-Jul-08 22:49:14

you link didn't work TRP.

The BBc website does not refer to croup specifically but it does say this

'A separate study of parents of 1,600 children aged one to two found a correlation between passive smoking and respiratory illnesses in children.'

I have found other sources which confirm the same thing.

Croup might not be 'caused' be smoking, but it can certainly be worsened.

lateylate Sat 19-Jul-08 23:12:35

I'm a fervent anti-smoker.

However, despite breastfeeding both dds, both have asthma.

I know it's not the same as croup, but sometimes it's too easy to judge...even thought I'd obviously never advocate smoking.

Sometimes life isn't cut-and-dried.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eekamoose Sat 19-Jul-08 23:24:48

My DD was hospitalised with bronchiolitis at 8 months.

DS in hospital with croup at 20 months.

Both breastfed.

No one smoking anywhere near them.

Not condoning smoking near babies or children of course!

eidsvold Sat 19-Jul-08 23:26:18

neither dh or I are smokers - and yet our three dds have had croup. Dd1 had it a number of times and was taken to hopsital. We then were given steroids so that we could combat it at home without having to take her to hospital all the time.

Our dd1 was more susceptible to it due to her smaller respiratory passages. She has finally at almost 6 touch wood not had any bouts this winter.

My brother had terrible croup as a young child as well as terrible asthma - my family home was a non smoking home and the circles my parents mixed in were non smoking as well.

Just the luck of the draw.

hunkermunker Sat 19-Jul-08 23:27:30

I think if my baby had croup or asthma, I wouldn't smoke near them.

As for water in the night - misguided at best <zips mouth>

PMSL at your DP "tactfully" suggesting she was a heifer when she smoked before though grin

Flossish Sat 19-Jul-08 23:29:48

I think I worded the title wrongly TBH. I feel that although she obv had infection (croup) not caused by smoking (although perhaps made more likely by smoking?) the passive smoking has made the croup so severe that she spent the day in hospital.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that smoking/not smoking causes prevents all sorts of everything, just that smoking is statistically proved to be unhealthy and statisically more likely to make you ill/unhealthy.

My point was that there were problems with DC1 while she smoked - he was on several inhalers a day for severe athsma from age 3 months to about 2 yrs. Now on none. Co-incides with when SIL gave up. Could very well be a co-incidence but may well not be.

So in a nutshell the title should read 'to think that my SIl's smoking my have worsened her DD's condition'. smile

watsthestory Sat 19-Jul-08 23:31:43

Message withdrawn

ScottishMummy Sat 19-Jul-08 23:31:53

not necessarily is the answer.

watsthestory Sat 19-Jul-08 23:33:38

Message withdrawn

Flossish Sat 19-Jul-08 23:33:44

'the passive smoking has made the croup so severe that she spent the day in hospital.'

meant to add a maybe in there!

I need to go to bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now