Talk

Advanced search

to expect parents to own up when their children break things

(7 Posts)
love2sleep Sat 19-Jul-08 16:14:01

We were in a garden centre earlier and a boy who looked about 5 knocked over one of a set of large garden ornaments priced at £200. His parents were out of sight at the time so I stayed with the boy until they found him and explained what had happened. There were plenty of staff around but none had noticed so they just shrugged their shoulders and wandered off.

nickytwotimes Sat 19-Jul-08 16:15:20

They are the sort of wankers who dent your car in a car park and drive off, aren't they?
YANBU.

kerryk Sat 19-Jul-08 16:21:22

same type of parent's who would have sued the store for there last penny had the ornament fallen on there dc.

Dumbass Mon 21-Jul-08 21:06:56

God. I'm a single mum, a student, on IS and get no maintenance...
If one of my kids broke a £200 ornament in a garden centre there is no way I could pay for it.

HermanMunster Mon 21-Jul-08 21:20:08

well i'd imagine you wouldn't have to pay for it as they are under the age of criminal responsibility and that's what shops have insurance for.i'm sure someone else will know better than me if this is true or not.
but why wouldn't they let someone know so it could be taken care of and they wouldn't waste time and money searching for potential vandals?

love2sleep Mon 21-Jul-08 22:37:06

Dumbass - but would you have let your kids wander off on their own unsupervised in a shop with expensive fragile ornaments?

I know that accidents happen but in this case it was clearly the parents fault for not supervising their child at all. Their attitude seemed to be that they were in no way responsible for what their lo did.

I'm not sure what I think the right outcome is in terms of paying for the damage done.

jammi Mon 21-Jul-08 22:44:08

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now