Talk

Advanced search

to expect that you don't have to own a passport or a diriving liscense to get anything in this country!!

(18 Posts)
pinkdolly Sat 19-Jul-08 15:31:16

I am soo annoyed.

I went to renew my phone contract this afternoon and they told me about this really good deal for new customers. So they told me to end my old contract and start a new one. I thought that sounded pretty good so I went for it. After being in the shop for nearly an hour (they had to ring head office who were messing about a lot) they then asked for my identification. I had brought a statement with me. I dont actually drive and we cant afford overseas holidays so I dont have a passport or driving liscense. But without one of these she couldn't start me a new contract.

So now I have cancelled my existing phone contract and can't start another one up. Despite having been able to do so in the past. I am so annoyed with this what are people supposed to do if they dont have these methods of id.

My dh now has to go back into the store for me and open a contract up in his name. But its so frustrating coz I had my 3 girls in the shop for an hour and they're were quite ratty about being stuck in there all that time.

Just felt I needed to rant as am so annoyed by the situation.

SqueakyPop Sat 19-Jul-08 15:35:40

Having lived in the USA, I am well aware that a Drivers' License is a license to live as much as it is a license to drive.

Does the phone company only accept DL and Passport? Do you know what their rationale is? A DL is good for confirming your address, but there are many other IDs that can do this, such as a bank statement. A passport is a photo ID, but so is a work ID, if you have one. There really isn't an obligation to have a photo ID in this country, but proof of address is easier to provide.

I totally agree with you Dolly, not everyone drives and have foreign holidays. There should be some other way of proving who you are.

pinkdolly Sat 19-Jul-08 15:40:47

I had a statement with me. Dh was also with me and had his royal navy id card and other forms of id but not driving license or passport. But no they would not except it. They said it had to be either passport or DL. But I don't have them, I tried explaining but it made no difference. I dont mind not being the named contract holder as long as I can have a phone to use.

What I do mind is being kept in a store for an hour with disgruntled children and then to be told that I cant have the thing. Dh now has to go back tomorrow to sort it out.

And it made me thin of all those people who dont have other halves who can open up contracts or other things for them. Seems like they are discriminating against people who dont drive or take holidays.

SqueakyPop Sat 19-Jul-08 15:42:49

I have to say, though, that I find mobile phone contracts to be really bad value. Much better to buy a phone from Virgin and then just pay for your calls.

jofeb04 Sat 19-Jul-08 15:43:49

When I got my contract phone, I also needed photo ID (luckily, dh drives).

Can you get back in contact with your old provider? Explain that you have seen a better offer, and see what they can do for you?

Nagapie Sat 19-Jul-08 16:00:14

Can agree that it is a complete PITA. Coming from another country I had tremendous trouble trying to do simple things like opening a bank account ....

Where I come from we have ID books - banks don't accept passports as proof of ID !!

Miaou Sat 19-Jul-08 16:03:23

Agree - I once had to open a bank account when I didn't have a drivers licence or passport, and it was really difficult (the bank manager was actually on my side, but she was tied by their regulations - in the end I had to provide about 10 different pieces of identification hmm).

FAQ Sat 19-Jul-08 16:19:54

Squeaky contracts aren't always bad value.

Not if you're spending £60+ a month on topping up your phone.......(actualy think my last month on PAYG was a LOT more than that - I stopped counting blush).

I now pay £30 a month - and don't have to worry about topping up

sheepgomeep Sat 19-Jul-08 16:20:25

dp couldn't open an simple card account with natwest because he had neither a passport or full drivers licence.

it was either produce that or nothing.

luckily barclays do

sheepgomeep Sat 19-Jul-08 16:21:03

It's such a faff getting a passport now too

SqueakyPop Sat 19-Jul-08 16:21:07

I pay £2-3 per month!

purplesponge Sat 19-Jul-08 22:05:14

I'm worried for the day when only photo ID is acceptable. Don't think it's that far off TBH. As I have a paper D.L. and no passport I may well be screwed!

notcitrus Sun 20-Jul-08 01:22:45

Banks are obliged to have a list of acceptable ID that isn't DL/passport, but half the time no-one has trained the counter staff to know anything about anything (I encountered one a few weeks back who couldn't even give me a wad of cash because she hadn't been trained - and no supervisor was there either!)

There's a special circle of hell for mobile phone companies... reminds me, must cancel my contract...

SofiaAmes Sun 20-Jul-08 01:29:43

Go to another store! I'm sure you can find one that can help you.

helenhismadwife Sun 20-Jul-08 10:02:15

I think I would write a very snotty letter complaining mainly because if you had a contract previously with them why would they need all the identification to basically renew a contract with them

helenhismadwife Sun 20-Jul-08 10:03:52

i know you werent just renewing the contract but you were an existing customer just moving to a different tarrif hope that makes more sense blush

littleducks Sun 20-Jul-08 10:48:28

You should have renewed over the phone! They dont ask for id then and post you your new phone.

I think that they were actually using a loop hole to offer you a new customer deal and sign you up again, its a shame they didnt check the id issue first or at least try and change your cancellation request

I beleive the requirement for photo id is down to the massive number of contracts taken out, phones handed over then the customer disaperaing and not paying a bill. It is a real shame for you though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now