Talk

Advanced search

To try & report my brother to the local council?

(27 Posts)
AmIALousySister Sat 19-Jul-08 14:03:54

Short version:

Brother & SIL moved house about 3 months ago.

They had a dog who was their 'baby' until they had their son.

The boy is now almost 3 and they moved house to be nearer SILs only brother.

Problem is they never sold their old house & it is waiting to be rented out and they have left their dog at the old property

Brother only ever visits it to feed it. The poor thing is never walked. He is all tatty and getting growly (I have been told this by a neighbour who I am friendly with but who won't report it herself). I tried calling the council yesterday who passed me to dogs trust.

Dogs trust told me it was the council who I needed to speak to but by the time I called them back they were gone. Won't be back until Monday now.

The dog isn't tied up, he has a yard to roam about in but I just feel the dog is there alone for far too long. Brother has talked about building a new kennel at the new house for the dog but it has never happened yet.

I AM going to report this on Monday, and it IS cruelty, no matter whether he is feeding him or not...so why the hell do I feel so lousy?

The dog needs exercise, he needs to be someones pal, not fucked off to the side now that they have a child to play with

Doodle2U Sat 19-Jul-08 14:06:07

I agree with you.

But, have you spoken to your brother about it first?

lulumama Sat 19-Jul-08 14:07:53

you should suggest that he gives the dog to a rescue centre, before he is reported by a neighbour... it is cruel and neglectful to leave a dog in an empty house, he could get in serious trouble, and rightly so, if he was reported.

Alambil Sat 19-Jul-08 14:09:21

I'd call the council and the RSPCA.

He is cruel and being so, so unkind it's unbelievable.

There are MANY places that take unwanted dogs - there's absolutely no need whatsoever to abuse it in this way.

Yes - he's abusing it. Neglect is abuse. Report him.

tiggerlovestobounce Sat 19-Jul-08 14:09:38

Maybe the RSPCA would help the dog sooner?
Dont feel bad about it, the dog shouldnt be treated like that.

Alambil Sat 19-Jul-08 14:11:06

Tell me the address and I'll ring the RSPCA!

AmIALousySister Sat 19-Jul-08 14:11:12

No Doodle, my brother isn't the kind of person you can discuss things with.

He is aggressive and wouldn't take it very kindly if he thought I had been discussing it with his neighbours.

I don't live near them either to see the dog for myself.

AmIALousySister Sat 19-Jul-08 14:12:47

I will look for the RSPCA number now myself.

Don't worry, it WILL be reported, you can rest assured of that. I don't make empty threats.

DH doesn't want me to do it, he would rather the neighbour did it as we haven't seen the dog, but I don't need to see it, I believe my friend. And I know the last time I mentioned the dog to my sister she said he was still at the old house.

Alambil Sat 19-Jul-08 14:14:26

You're doing the right thing - the poor dog will be so lonely, cold and goodness only knows what condition it's in if no-ones there to poop-scoop

OurHamsterisevil Sat 19-Jul-08 15:38:28

Yes definitiely call the RSPCA

itati Sat 19-Jul-08 15:41:40

If you can't discuss it with your brother ring the RSPCA now.

Cruel beyond believe.

itati Sat 19-Jul-08 15:42:03

And YADefinitelyNBU

MegSophandEmma Sat 19-Jul-08 15:42:52

The RSPCA should be able to come out today. They once came to pick up a swan after it landed in my garden.

Poor dog sad

MegSophandEmma Sat 19-Jul-08 15:43:19

They came on a Sunday BTW

DeeRiguer Sat 19-Jul-08 15:54:02

they should feel lousy not you
dogs are social animals and this is very cruel i would ring rspca..now..

nickytwotimes Sat 19-Jul-08 15:56:36

Poor animal.
You are doing the right thing by reporting this.
Must be hard for you, btu definitely the right thing.

MadameCheese Sat 19-Jul-08 15:57:07

Call them, the dog deserves better

Hecate Sat 19-Jul-08 16:02:04

Don't count on the RSPCA!

My mother has reported a dog being BEATEN by its owner. She has phoned them 3 times and they have done nothing. He once came home from the pub, tied that dog up in his back yard and kicked the shit out of it. My mother reported it again and the RSPCA have not been near! He is still dragging that dog around, kicking it.

AmIALousySister Sat 19-Jul-08 16:32:00

Have been all around the houses here... RSPCA won't take calls from anonymous people. They wanted a phone number & a name.. I don't want to do this. What if they tell him it was me?

I was thinking of giving them a false name & number, at least then they will have ticked all their boxes and they can go get the dog??

Oh, I don't know what to do here

I think I will call them back & explain why I don't want to give them my name & number.

Lollypopzmummy Sat 19-Jul-08 16:33:27

YANBU, abuse is abuse, whether you're related to the person committing it or not.

My MIL had a problem with their neighbour not looking after their dog properly, she called the local vet and they sorted it out! So, if you don't have any luck anywhere else, try that!

lucyellensmum Sat 19-Jul-08 16:48:03

call them back and say it is your brother you are reporting so will only continue with this if they make an absolute promise that they wont pass the information on. I am sure they can promise you that. The problem is, if the dog has adequate access to a yard, regular food and clean water then you might have a problem getting them to act. I used to work at a vets and they were very skeptical about the RSCPA.

Try the police as well.

BetteNoire Sat 19-Jul-08 16:52:57

Go and collect the dog and take it to The Blue Cross.

Lovesdogsandcats Sat 19-Jul-08 18:27:26

I am horrified. Why did your brother not take his dog with him when he moved, sorry a bit confused about that?

You need to get the dog out, sod your brother and how unreasonable he is.

And Hecate, why don't you do something yourself about your mothers nutter neighbour? I mean, if someone else(you) rings too, they WILL follow up. And why don't you ring the police too?
When she saw him kicking his dog, did your mother not phone the police? if not, shame on her sad

I could never leave it, there are other agencies apart from the RSPCA.

You need to make it your business to get that dog out of that arseholes house.

Lovesdogsandcats Sat 19-Jul-08 18:31:37

AmI, I can promise you that the RSPCA will NOT let him know who called. From experience here...I have rang them several times to report various people, I give my name each and every time and they never release either your name or anything like wheter you are male/fekmale/where you live etc...completely confidential.

One bloke I reported was a schizophrenic alcoholic who lived right next door to me. They took his dogs off him and prosecuted thru courts-took a while but he never got to find out who reported him

Hecate Sat 19-Jul-08 18:54:10

She didn't SEE it happen. She reported to the RSPCA what she had been told by the man's neighbour (who refuses point blank to get involved). I can report what I have been told by someone who has been told by someone else! She has seen him dragging it round, but the tying it up to beat it, she heard second hand. She still reported it even though she didn't witness it herself, but like I say, they did nothing.

Can you imagine how much the police would do if you rang up and said "I was talking to someone who lives down the road and they said that they saw their neighbour, Mr X, kicking the crap out of his dog. No, I can't tell you their name, they don't want to get involved, but they told me about it when I saw them yesterday, apparently it happened last weekend."

She just keeps on at the RSPCA, getting nowhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now