Talk

Advanced search

to still go out tonight even though I suspect DS2 may have an ear infection???

(8 Posts)
FAQ Sat 19-Jul-08 13:25:25

He's generally ok in himself, a bit more tired than usual, but has been waking once or twice in the night crying because his ear hurts (off to the Drs on MOnday morning with him). I've given him a quick cuddle and some calpol and he's been settling back fine.

I'm supposed to be going out tonight, baby-sitter is sorted and all set to go.

The baby sitter is one that has done an overnight stay for me recently - and all my DS's adore her - and I know that if he did wake up tonight (it's not been every night he's woken) he wouldn't be upset if my babysitter went to him and not me.

Is it really terrible of me to still go out even though he may be ill?

Part of me is thinking.

I'm his mummy, I should be at home when he's not well and how cr*p would I be if he woke and I'm not here to comfort him.

The other part is thinking

Actually he knows and loves the baby sitter so well that I know he won't be upset if he wakes and it's her that goes to him (he's woken up with nightmare when she was babysitter not long ago and was absoutely fine about the fact it wasn't mummy that went to him). He may not even wake up, and if he doesn't, and I haven't gone out I'll be really upset with myself for not taking up an opportunity to go out...

Despite being a bit tired today every 5 minutes (almost) he's been saying "xxx is babysitting tonight" and getting excited about it.

So AIBU to still go out? I'll have my mobile with me so if he wakes and really wants me she can always ring and I can come straight home (going to be in town so could get home within 15-20 minutes - or less).

FourArms Sat 19-Jul-08 13:52:07

I'd go.

Give him a dose of Calpol and nurofen before he goes to bed, and leave instruction for administering again if he wakes.

If you think he'll be OK with the babysitter and you can get back at short notice then I'm sure it will be fine.

Alambil Sat 19-Jul-08 13:55:46

YANBU - take every chance you get... supply her with nurofen, calpol and your mobile number

Be prepared to come home - don't get drunk etc but have fun too whilst you can.

bunchoflowers Sat 19-Jul-08 14:25:50

He's not going to die. Go out! He'll be ok. You sound like a really nice mummy, but you have to have a bit of life yourself.

bb99 Sat 19-Jul-08 14:28:33

calpol and cuddles, mobile number left with babysitter.

Go and have fun!

YA so NBU. smile

FAQ Sat 19-Jul-08 16:04:19

thanks everyone - I'd already sort of decided I was still going.

I can easily get back at short notice and she already has my mobile number on her phone. I'm certain he'll be ok with the babysitter, I've left them over night with her before and he's known her since he was born.

Just fell asleep on the sofa (and he joined me after he'd had a go on the PS2 - and is asleep now lol) but supposed to he leaving here in 1hr so suppose I'd better get ready smile

FAQ Sun 20-Jul-08 19:17:52

well I went out - and came home at 1am after babysitter sent me a text to say he'd woken up again - he wasn't asking for me, but it was the 3rd time and I just couldn't stay out.

Of course he was fast asleep by the time I got back and didn't wake up for the rest of the night - but this morning while at church gunk started trickling out of his ear hmm

Had a good night though - was fab local Irish Folk/Rock band in DP's "local"

FourArms Sun 20-Jul-08 20:55:22

Hmmm. Should you be worried if that happens? Burst eardrum? Definitely take him to that GP appt tomorrow. Glad you went out in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now