Talk

Advanced search

to think it is rude to comment on people spelling and grammar

(49 Posts)
2shoes Fri 18-Jul-08 17:20:54

following on from other thread (as I do not want to hijack)
I think it is rude and bad mannered. yes sometimes if someone is ranting(as said op was) then It can be hard to read. but not impossible.
you wouldn't (I hope) correct someone in rl if they used bad grammar. so why is it deemed ok on here?

TheMagnificent7 Fri 18-Jul-08 17:29:08

Not exactly unreasonable, but as the only medium used here is writing, it's not too much to ask that people make an effort. Mistakes are fine, funny in fact, but text speak, acronyms, bad spelling on purpose, they all just suck.

As parents, it's probably not too bad a thing to correct people in real life, especially teachers!

If it's a rant, or something very quirky and quick, or a genuine lack of keyboard skills, no problem. But when you have to go out of your way to make your messages look trendy by typing rubbsih, then that should be corrected.

IFYWIM like

BouncingTurtle Fri 18-Jul-08 17:29:12

If it's sarky comments about lack of caps, wrong spelling, yes, I agree it is rude.
But to politely point out that it is easier to read a post that isn't one continuous flow of text is not rude.
I too find it hard to read a post if it is all one very long paragraph, but can understand if a poster is typing under stress then they might forget this. What you type also appears differently in the text post to after it's posted.
I guess people can get impatient with very long rambling posts - if you can be concise (especially in OP) then you should do so.

notasheep Fri 18-Jul-08 17:30:25

My manager at work cant spell and i make a point of correcting her.She is the boss so should be able to spell surely.

cocolepew Fri 18-Jul-08 17:33:08

u r not bng unresnble

Well, someone had to do it. Might as well be me.

ThingOne Fri 18-Jul-08 17:33:20

I don't think it was rude in the circumstances. The OP was very hard to read as well as v ranty. If you want help it helps to ask nicely!

nappyaddict Fri 18-Jul-08 17:33:32

we shouldn't use acronyms now??

cocolepew Fri 18-Jul-08 17:33:43

2shoes is your DD away to her prom yet?

TheMagnificent7 Fri 18-Jul-08 17:33:50

My ironic spelling mistakes, and even more ironic misuse of an Acronym are a valid point. Oops

suzywong Fri 18-Jul-08 17:33:54

surely it is only good manners to communicate on a web based forum in way commonly understood by the greatest number of readers. Pointing out mistakes can only be of benefit to those who wish to read a post after the OP. Ergo it is bad manners not to put the effort in and write in the proper way in the first place. Innit.

castlesintheair Fri 18-Jul-08 17:34:50

Poor grammar and spelling are one thing (I just cringe quietly) but textspeak I hate. Or should that be h8. Grrr.

TheMagnificent7 Fri 18-Jul-08 17:35:17

The occasional acronym is fine. But some sentences are like code on here. It's just too difficult to follow, so pointless

I think you mean "people's", not people, in your thread title 2shoes grin

<ducks and runs>

hifi Fri 18-Jul-08 17:36:35

yanbu, its not as though its a job application. make some effort but people shouldnt get so het up about it, its ONLY a bloody forum.

castlesintheair Fri 18-Jul-08 17:36:59

Isn't there an acronym de-coder on here somewhere?

Turniphead1 Fri 18-Jul-08 17:37:33

I suppose it makes sense to look at the reason behind our rules of grammar, spelling, sentence contruction etc etc. A good example, is that the use of capital letters at the start of the sentence signals quickly to the eye that a new sentence has begun! These rules developed to make the written word easier to read. So when people flout these completely it does make their posts more difficult to read.

I don't take as much care as I would in RL with my spelling on MN - but I do try to write in a comprehensible way. I use paragraphs in longer posts to make them easier to read.

I don't think it is "on" to comment on people's spelling or grammar. But I do think it is OK to point out that a stream of consciousness post or one using no full stops or other punctuation marks can be very hard to understand.

Yes. Acronym decoder is at the top under "useful stuff".

muggglewump Fri 18-Jul-08 17:39:41

Hmmm, yes, it can be rude but it bugs the hell out of me.
Not bad spelling or grammar pe se as I'm guilty of it, but text type and things such as of instead of have and brought instead of bought. I also want to kill anyone who uses the word "peeps" why, just why.
I think I need a lie down

expatinscotland Fri 18-Jul-08 17:40:59

YABU.

And when someone fails to use paragraphs, they may as well rant from now until the world ends, it's too fucking hard to read for many to be bothered.

expatinscotland Fri 18-Jul-08 17:41:32

txtpk is an insult to literacy, too.

ihatebikerides Fri 18-Jul-08 17:43:30

Shouldn't this be in Pedants' Corner?

VictorianSqualor Fri 18-Jul-08 17:47:27

Yes and No.
Sometimes I do think people should take a breather and hit enter.
But IMO it depends whether it is unreadable or not.
If I can't read something, or understand it, I tend to ignore it, it does annoy me when people pile on a poster about their spelling/grammar if it's easy to read though.
I know many posters are trying to type whilst doing other stuff, and my typing is appalling so can't really say too much.

<<I blame it on only typing one-handed, thanks DS!>

moanylisa Fri 18-Jul-08 17:49:00

My dd1's covering letter to her report (signed by the Head) has two spelling mistakes (not typos) in it. The report itself was one of those horrid lists of numbers and letters, with the odd "statement bank" software-generated comment here and there. I felt like sending the comment slip back with the corrections pointed out, a few random 5a and 7c- type bits and a "must try harder" comment!

TheHedgeWitch Fri 18-Jul-08 17:51:20

Message withdrawn

cory Fri 18-Jul-08 17:55:53

I do not accept that the comments made in the other thread (not by me, I hasten to add!) were about spelling and grammar. They were not. Nor were they snide comments for the sake of it. They simply mentioned the fact that people with various reading difficulties are going to find it almost impossible to read and offer advice if the text comes in one massive block, without any space for breathing.

I have no reading difficulties and am used to fairly impenetrable authors, but I still found that OP incredibly hard to read. It felt like being shouted at non-stop.

Its writer would have got her point across much better and maybe gained more understanding if she had slowed down and put it in a more measured way.

If I was wrong and somebody did actually mention spelling and grammar in this context, I apologise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now