Talk

Advanced search

to expect Tesco not to sell me something that's nine months out of date!!!!!

(14 Posts)
RiojaLover75 Thu 17-Jul-08 13:58:53

In really cross. I picked up two boxes of Redoxon vit c and zinc fizzy tablets only to get them home to find that one had a use by date of OCT 2007!!!! shock

Are customers expected to check every sell by date for everything??? Surely that's what the shelf stackers job entails!

Bloody Tesco angry

ThatBigGermanPrison Thu 17-Jul-08 14:00:46

Tesco are sods for this. I've had meat that's over from there before.

DumbledoresGirl Thu 17-Jul-08 14:03:10

Gosh is the shelf stackers' job really that interesting? I thought they just stacked shelves. You mean they actually have to check the produce already there too? Maybe I would find the work more mentally challenging than I previously thought....

Sorry, I am with you really YANBU. Take the boxes back and complain loudly saying your 96 year old mother bought them and she could have done herself real damage had she taken them. They will probably ofer you a free supply.

DumbledoresGirl Thu 17-Jul-08 14:03:38

*They will probably offer you a year's free supply that should read.

tamarto Thu 17-Jul-08 14:04:30

I bought juice that turned out to be over a year out of date once shock Only found out after tasting it yuck!!!

Poppycake Thu 17-Jul-08 14:05:02

I'd call customer services. Ihad some fruit juice that was out of date and called Sainsburys and they send me a £10 voucher ... and only last week I got some apple juice from Tesco and found two of them had mould growing on the bottom (eeeuch) and they refunded me for all the boxes I had bought (I buy a lot having 2dds who are addicted!) rather than just the skanky two.

It's worth a go! They were very sorry about it, which made me feel better in itself.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 17-Jul-08 14:07:21

They are supposed to rotate stock DG, so yes, they should check. Specific staff are also employed to check the dates on fresh produce and mark it down.

YANBU. Tell them you will hold on to the box and receipt and notify trading standards if they don't offer you something that you are happy with.

Blueeyedgal Thu 17-Jul-08 14:07:36

God that is really what you call out of date. I get my shopping deliverd and they frequently send bread that is out of date. Also once they delivered some croissants blushon a Friday which ran out the same day. I rang them up and said, that I really did not fancy croissants that lunchtime was rather hoping to be able to eat them on Sunday morning! I have had meat out of date too. However on the plus side I have had one or two extra bits that should not have been there! A whole chicken, bottles of squash to name a few grin

Poppycake Thu 17-Jul-08 14:19:41

yeah I've had that too blueeyedgal - one week I had a bag of veggies, and I told the bloke it wasn't mine but he said to keep it cos no one else could have it now. Then when I unpacked more I found I had a bag with two fruit and nut bars and a bakewell tart. Felt so sorry for the "other customer" - sure she could manage without the brocolli, but without the choc could have tipped her over the edge!

I comforted myself thinking perhaps she wanted to diet anyway. And with 2 bars of choc grin

RiojaLover75 Thu 17-Jul-08 14:23:38

Have called customer services who have aplogised several times and said they'd check with the Brooklands store in Weybridge to make sure all the products are checked on the shelf.

They're sending me a refund of twice the amount I paid for the item.

SoupDragon Thu 17-Jul-08 14:26:23

As an aside, my parents once returned something to Tescos complaining it was out of date. Customer Services were horrified, apologised profusely and refunded and then later my parents realised that 08/07 meant 8th July, not Aug '07...

sheepgomeep Thu 17-Jul-08 14:51:39

I stacked shelves in sainsbury's 2 years ago and yes we are meant to check sell by dates as well as stack shelves.

That is pretty disgusting to be 11 months out of date. dp also used to work in sainsbury's doing same job (before he worked in tescos) and he said he used to come accross staff on thew day shift that really couldn't be arsed to do thier job properly.

jojosmaman Thu 17-Jul-08 15:03:34

Poppycake, I have had that too, I once got a bag of frozen stuff that I hadn't ordered, pulled out some quorn (great??!!?), some fish fingers and frozen peas (ok, something for ds at least) and then the last thing, a huge tub of Green and Blacks choc ice cream grin!!

TheHedgeWitch Thu 17-Jul-08 15:12:20

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now