Talk

Advanced search

To think that the Farnborough air show will be too loud for my 21 month old this weekend?

(27 Posts)
Tapster Wed 16-Jul-08 22:55:18

DH very keen to go and wants to find some ear defenders for her. I prefer to watch the planes that fly overhead often in our west London garden instead...

Ewe Wed 16-Jul-08 22:59:40

I have some ear defender thingys for my DD as we're going to Lovebox this weekend, think you'll be fine to go if you get some.

However, you don't sound like you wanna go and it's a good excuse!

nametaken Wed 16-Jul-08 23:00:17

If you think that your dd will keep the ear defenders on then why not go. Don't know where you get ear defenders though, have seen pictures of celebs kids with them on.

It will be very loud without them though.

EffiePerine Wed 16-Jul-08 23:02:16

Do you want to go? I'd rather chew my own arm off (too many enforced tours of airfields as a child). If you're not keen, use DD as an excuse and stay at home [gin]

Lionstar Wed 16-Jul-08 23:05:07

My DD is in a nursery that is practically at the end of Farnborough runway. Though the kids are not 100% keen on the noise they have all been OK so far, and even sleep through the sound of eurofighters taking off vertically directly above!

We do have some ear defenders for her (DP plays in a band) but never even thought of sending them (until now ...)

Bronze Wed 16-Jul-08 23:07:11

DH bought some ear defenders off the army? maybe RAF I think army. Anyway, it was at the actualy show and they had a stall selling old equipment.

Lionstar Wed 16-Jul-08 23:12:29

Peltor kids ear defenders available here for £12.20

Roskva Wed 16-Jul-08 23:22:42

I let dh go on his own - it's about boys and their toys smile.

PillockOfTheCommunity Wed 16-Jul-08 23:24:52

I took my then 13mth old to Drag racing. It was loud, I got him silicone ear plug stuff from Boots, he was fine. If you think she'll enjoy it then go for it.

PillockOfTheCommunity Wed 16-Jul-08 23:27:21

these
they mould well into their little ears so they don't even know they're there, or at least, my very awkward ds2 didn't attempt to get them out once all day and ds1 never complained either so I guess they must be comfortable!

stressybessy Thu 17-Jul-08 15:28:10

All I can say is that I live in Farnborough, under the flight path, and my 18 month old was upset by it at first but he is now asleep upstairs after getting used to it - there are jets flying overhead as I type this!!

Having said that lots of my friends' kids are scared of the noise and also the show itself is quite boring unless you're into planes I guess...

PS - my DS must be at the same nursery as you Lionstar!

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 15:36:41

Yep, you should try living here! I have ear defenders for the girls. dd wore them 2 yrs ago when she was 3 and dd who is 2 this year doesn't want to wear them and is fine with the planes anyway.

Hello Farnborough people!!

Lionstar Thu 17-Jul-08 15:39:32

Well hi HNYF06 and stressybessy - are we talking BBs nursery? My DD is in WW.

We're in Church Crookham

harleyd Thu 17-Jul-08 15:41:15

i took my lot up to an airshow a couple of years ago, they had a great time until the eurofighter typhoon appeared in the sky..scared the crap out of them
i wish i had thought of earplugs

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 15:42:46

Oooh, I went to Runabout near BB's the other day! That is very close to the airshow.

cmotdibbler Thu 17-Jul-08 15:42:54

My friends DD is in that nursery too. Apparently the airfield fax the nursery to tell them when the noisiest flights are going to be.

Thought of an airshow leaves me cold - I'd stay home myself.

loler Thu 17-Jul-08 15:55:49

My DM took ds1 last year when he was 2. Hated every minute of it apparently and has left him hating aeroplanes ever since. Didn't try hearing protection but I wouldn't fancing trying to get him to keep it on. I see it as a good excuse not to go this year!

DD who was 4 loved it.

QuintessentialShadows Thu 17-Jul-08 15:58:45

My friend who used to work with the RAF advised against taking young children. They have more acute hearing than grown ups, it will appear a lot louder to them than to us.

Lionstar Thu 17-Jul-08 16:01:49

Oh dear, what a horrible thought, it can be jaw-achingly loud here at home, which is some distance from the runway

Romy7 Thu 17-Jul-08 16:08:24

ok - i win, cos my nursery is even closer...
thought we must all be in the same place, but you lot are down the road...
dd2 is okay when she is expecting the noise, but freaks out big time if it takes her by surprise...
it's gonna rain anyway grin

HappyNewYearFeet06 Thu 17-Jul-08 16:11:34

Lol, my nan lives at the end of the runway, well almost!!! grin

It must feel like it to her!!

Ledodgy Thu 17-Jul-08 16:13:18

It is very noisy. My dp was there on Monday and Tuesday because of work. He wasn't impressed he said you -really- need to like planes. grin

Ledodgy Thu 17-Jul-08 16:13:37

really I mean.

stealthsquiggle Thu 17-Jul-08 16:15:26

Ear defenders. DH will buy her lots of junk stuff and she will love it. Unless of course you really really don't want to go in which case it has of course been proven that it can do irreperable damage to LOs ears grin

Romy7 Thu 17-Jul-08 16:18:15

dh works there. he said no fecker has been doing anything all week and standing gawking out of the windows.... but the way he was going on and on and on and on, i know he was gawking too.
men.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now