Talk

Advanced search

To raise an eyebrow at dd's nursery?

(140 Posts)
snickersnack Wed 16-Jul-08 22:21:07

It's International Day at nursery next month. Lots of dancing, food and dressing up. Each room is given a country to learn about and "celebrate". DD's room has been given Zimbabwe. She's 3. What do you expect they may be learning?

FluffyMummy123 Wed 16-Jul-08 22:21:51

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Wed 16-Jul-08 22:22:10

Message withdrawn

onepieceoflollipop Wed 16-Jul-08 22:24:25

The 3 and 4 year old pre-schoolers were taken to a Chinese Restaurant for Chinese New Year at dd's nursery - fab. Didn't even have to pay extra for it. They had such a good time.

CaptainUnderpants Wed 16-Jul-08 22:24:39

Wild animals ?

Knowledge and understanding of the world - all of course at a very simple and easy level.

TheProvincialLady Wed 16-Jul-08 22:24:48

What would you rather they did? Sat on their arses and let the kids do the same thing day in day out? It sounds like good fun and of course she will be learning.

Lemontart Wed 16-Jul-08 22:25:28

y agree. Sounds great to me.
Why not do stuff as early as possible? I bet they are doing age appropriate stuff like simple songs, looking at pictures, perhaps dressing up, maybe tasting nice food. As for learning, I guess she is learning to try out new things, experiment and have fun
D

TheProvincialLady Wed 16-Jul-08 22:25:48

Although it is a pity she has been given the Zimbabwe room given their current problems with food shortage etc <<poor taste>>

TheHedgeWitch Wed 16-Jul-08 22:27:04

Message withdrawn

nancy75 Wed 16-Jul-08 22:27:54

are you concerned because your dds class got zimbabwe in particular or about international day altogether? if its just because of the country i wouldnt worry, i think it would probably be about safari type animals, not all dressing up as mugabe!

specialmagiclady Wed 16-Jul-08 22:28:12

I'm all for giving kids an awareness of their world - and even some political things - at a young age. But how to explain Zimbabwe to preschoolers? Especially at the moment.

Seems weird choice of country. If you want to "do" Africa, couldn't one pick a country on a more even keel?

TheHedgeWitch Wed 16-Jul-08 22:29:08

Message withdrawn

Lionstar Wed 16-Jul-08 22:29:35

Not kidding - Zimbabwe. I did a double take and then had to check on wikipedia in case I'd been mistaken about which country Robert Mugabe was running into the ground.

So their going to learn about destructive murdering dictatorships then?

Madlentileater Wed 16-Jul-08 22:29:36

Maybe they'll listen to some music from Zimbabwe, have some food from Zimbabwe, learn hallo/goodbye in a Zimbabwean language (not sure what it would be, sorry) look at pictures of children their age in Zimbabwe doing things they'll recoginise, if they're lucky maybe a visitor from Zimbabwe might come and do art/craft/music....lots of possibilities!
And extra gold stars to your nursery for NOT doing 'Africa'

snickersnack Wed 16-Jul-08 22:30:23

Oh no, don't misunderstand me - I love International Day, it's great fun, everyone has a ball and of course they learn stuff. All great - am thrilled they do different stuff. It was the choice of country I was querying...out of 192 countries (or UN members) they chose Zimbabwe. That was what made me raise an eyebrow...

Pennies Wed 16-Jul-08 22:30:52

How many rooms has this nursery gt for them to end up choosing Zimbabwe? Did they run out of countries or something?

moopdaloop Wed 16-Jul-08 22:30:55

Zimbabwe?

really?

is there an Iraq, Aghanistan or Darfur too.

I think the concept is fabulous but zimbabwe?

Lionstar Wed 16-Jul-08 22:30:56

they're obviously

Pennies Wed 16-Jul-08 22:31:40

Lordy, so they must have 192 rooms. That's quite big for a nursery wink.

TheProvincialLady Wed 16-Jul-08 22:31:40

Maybe they have a member of staff who has links with Zimbabwe and can give information about songs, food etc without it just coming from a book? Or a pupil from Zimbabwe? I don't see the problem personally. The whole country isn't devoid of history and culture just because the current regime is so offensive. You wouldn't expect to teach kids about George Bush's atrocities if they were doing the USA.

CaptainUnderpants Wed 16-Jul-08 22:33:22

China has a few issues aswell but it is a country often chosen for a theme .

TheHedgeWitch Wed 16-Jul-08 22:33:33

Message withdrawn

melpomene Wed 16-Jul-08 22:34:04

Maybe there is a member of staff / helper who has special links with Zimbabwe and is going to help organise it? If not, it does seem a pretty strange choice in the current climate.

Lionstar Wed 16-Jul-08 22:35:45

Yes it may have plenty of perfectly upstanding culture and history, but they can hardly wipe the current goings on under the carpet. I know the kids are only 3 but wouldn't it be downright wierd for them to be celebrating some false shiny-happy image when people are actually being tortured and murdered there as we speak.

wannaBe Wed 16-Jul-08 22:37:00

so because of what is going on in Zimbabwe at the moment children should not learn about the country itself?

It's quite possible they have a member of staff from Zimbabwe who can teach them language/food/dance etc.

Just because of what Robert Mugabi stands for doesn't mean the rest of the people, the good, innocent people of Zimbabwe should be written off as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now