Talk

Advanced search

to complain to the dentist

(9 Posts)
eandh Wed 16-Jul-08 14:34:36

I went to dentist with my 2 dd's this morning (dds are 3.10 and 18months) anyway this is the 1st time I have had to pay for treatment for 4.5 years as either been pregnant or had a child under 1.

The dentist had a quick look at dd's teeth and then mine, dd2 sat on my lap as she was getting tired and tetchy. nyway dentist looks at my teeth and says that a small part of the back part of my root filling had come away, before I could say anything he'd removed teh whole filling and was replacing it. About 5 mins into procedure he said 'you are on exemption arent you' I said no shes 18months old and hesaid oh well we'll only charge nhs prices (Iam a bit oblivious to how the charges work as I havent paid for so long)

Got to reception expecting to pay £16 something (I did ask when booking appointment how much the charge is) and was told £44 something as I had a filling.

Now AIBU to complain as if he had mentioned this before commencing work I would have said to leave the filling until we had the extra money to have it repaired, it wasnt bothering me and was doing no harm, where as now I am nearly £30 poorer and at the moment we are working on a strict budget to try and clear our credit card bill.

I couldnt complain at reception as dd2 was laying on the floor trying to go to sleep and very very moany

cornsilk Wed 16-Jul-08 14:36:49

Don't know really. I think you're lucky to be only paying NHS charges! NHS dentists are like gold dust.

southeastastra Wed 16-Jul-08 14:38:15

he should have checked first, but at least you had it done then and there

eandh Wed 16-Jul-08 14:38:39

Strange thing with this clinic is that although they are v.good they always accept nhs patients, my mum and dad, dh, friend and her dh&dc and dd2 all got registered there in last year so am wondering if people leave alot

eandh Wed 16-Jul-08 14:39:34

Southeastastra- problem is I hadnt budgeted for the extra money

Nikkitwotimes Wed 16-Jul-08 14:42:00

I wouldn't complain but that's because I know how much it costs - last time I had a filling it was £145 (no nhs dentist)

I understand you haven't paid for years and I think it's courteous to be told how much something is but maybe you could also have asked and made yourself aware of how much they were now.

You could also maybe have asked to spread it over a few weeks as you had not realised how expensive it was - tbh I would have said exactly that at reception.

"Unfortunately I had no idea it would be this expensive as I haven't had work done for years, would it be ok to pay a fiver a week til it's cleared" ?

southeastastra Wed 16-Jul-08 14:43:20

have to say i panic everytime i pay the dentist. never know how much it would be.

maybe he would have let you pay later?

eandh Wed 16-Jul-08 14:47:29

dh just come home and said 'well he probably thought dd2 was under a year as shes so little' I suppose in theory you could assumen taht as she is tiny and just in 12-18months clothes

cheshirekitty Wed 16-Jul-08 14:54:49

If he had left the filling you may have got an infection in your root canal which is very painful and also very expensive to put right.

In an ideal world, your dentist should have asked you prior to doing the filling, but I bet he thought he was doing you a favour ie. you have 2 small children and might find the upheaval of going to the dentist again a bit much.

I think cut this guy a bit of slack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now