Talk

Advanced search

if I put 23 month DS to bed tonight with no stories?

(14 Posts)
bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 18:29:57

Am 35wks pregnant and he keeps kicking me in the stomach. I told him several times tonight to stop and he carried on so that's the punishment he's got.

He has to stop kicking, but I feel like a right old witch not letting him have stories as he really loves them and has always had at least 2 every night.

(on the upside, gives me extra MN time! shock)

lucyellensmum Sun 13-Jul-08 18:33:09

you are right, he must learn not to do this. Bet he doesn't kick you tomorrow. Funnily enough my DD does this too.

llynnnn Sun 13-Jul-08 18:34:05

could you say he can have his story but has to sit on his bed while you sit on chair next to him, instead of having cuddles. then he cant kick you? iyswim

gigglewitch Sun 13-Jul-08 18:35:44

don't feel too much of a meanie - he has to learn somehow, and if being told isn't working then the next 'treat' has to be the point at which he gets punishment.
You stay MN-ing and stop insulting witches grin

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 18:37:23

Too late now - he's in bed, and fast asleep already!

He sleeps in a cot so I usually sit next to him anyway; it's when I'm changing his nappy he kicks like a donkey. If DH isn't here I have to get him changed, but he really is quite violent and I'm really worried he's going to do the baby some damage at some point if I don't get him under control. sad

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 18:38:06

LOL gigglewitch! Nothing against 'em myself! wink

Weegle Sun 13-Jul-08 18:39:29

was it an instant punishment? ie he kicked you and you put him straight in to bed? It will only have worked if he correlated the kicking you with not getting his stories.

bohemianbint Sun 13-Jul-08 18:42:43

Nah, I said "if you kick me one more time there will be no stories." Then he did, so I put him to bed, gave him all the usual kisses and cuddles but reiterated that there would be no stories because he kicked mummy. To be honest, he didn't seem too arsed, so dunno how effective it's been on that front, but it has worked to make me feel bad! Kids eh...<sigh>

fin42 Sun 13-Jul-08 21:01:31

I know how you feel I've used this and I always feel like I missed out too. It does work though and he'll know you mean what you say next time.

idontbelieveit Sun 13-Jul-08 21:18:05

have just instigated the naughty corner for my dd when she is violent. She's 25 months. I'm 11 weeks pregnant and trying to nip it in the bud before i get bigger and/or baby arrives. When i do it she sobs and says "make friends mamma" how bad does that make me feel! sad It does seem to be working though....
Yanbu.

missfib Sun 13-Jul-08 21:20:20

hi,
he has to learn that he should not kick mummy dont feel like you are a bad parent beause your not.

Limara Sun 13-Jul-08 21:29:11

IMO, you did the right thing, you followed through and they have to learnsmile

MrsTiddles Sun 13-Jul-08 21:34:09

YANBU and I hope he doesn't continue doing this til you give birth!

Perhaps it was because he was particularly tired, too tired for a story even? I know my DS gets like this when he's a bit overtired.

bohemianbint Mon 14-Jul-08 18:56:26

Thanks everyone! grin

Well, the good news is that he thought about doing it tonight, and I reminded him what happened last night, and he stopped! So I feel vindicated now. And have done penance tonight by reading him his favourite Thomas the Tank story which makes me want to poke my own eyes out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now