Talk

Advanced search

to be desperately sad that parents are selling up family home

(8 Posts)
memoo Sun 13-Jul-08 14:32:08

My mum and dad are selling the house where we grew up and moving to live on a holiday park where they have got new jobs.

Its a complete lifestyle change for them and I really am genuinely pleased, more than anything I really want them to be happy because they deserve it. They have worked hard all their lifes and now it is quite rightly their time.

so why do i feel so gutted. I moved out of home 15 years ago and now have my own house and kids. I'm totally independant. But they only lived 3 streets away and now they hundrends of miles away. I'll miss them so much.

I haven't told them that i'm sad, i just want them to be happy.

Am i being really silly, do i basically just need to grow up?

PortBlacksandResident Sun 13-Jul-08 15:03:18

Is it the distance rather than the actual house?

I'm sorry that you feel sad - my parents moved from the house i'd been in since the age of 4 to getting married a few years ago but they moved nearer to us and that was fab so that's why i thought the distance may be the real issue.

Sounds fabulous for them btw and the sort of thing i can see me and DH doing down the line.

Doesn't make it any easier for you though - totally understandable how you're feeling.

memoo Sun 13-Jul-08 16:56:58

It is definately the distance. I'll have no family left near me when they go (on thursday), my sister moved to be with her boyfriend and brother moved down south for his job.

I really am happy for them, its their ideal job, i don't begrudge them selling the house one little bit its just that i'm going to miss them so much and at first they are going to be living in a little caravan so not really enough room to go and stay with the kids.

cadelaide Sun 13-Jul-08 16:59:17

God no, of course you're not being unreasonable, I'd be gutted.

Good on you for keeping it to yourself though.

memoo Sun 13-Jul-08 19:38:30

thanks for that, nice to know its not just me being silly

AbbeyA Sun 13-Jul-08 20:28:32

You are bound to be sad but well done for not letting them know.

kerryk Sun 13-Jul-08 21:00:26

i would/will be the same. my parents have been in the same house since i was 4 months old and they are now thinking of moving somewhere else. we have been through the attic this week as there is 26 years of junk up there (some are boxes that were never unpacked!!!) and i know i will be gutted when they do finally sell.

jackdaggerette Mon 14-Jul-08 10:29:01

YANBU at all - you're bound to be sad. Well done for putting on a brave face to them, though - hope I'd be able to do the same. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now