Talk

Advanced search

Better late than never....? Better to give than receive?

(15 Posts)
raindropsonroses Sat 12-Jul-08 17:40:08

My dds' always receive birthday cards a few days late from a couple of relatives.
Another still intends to bring Christmas presents from 07 next month.
Another annoyance is my sister who hasn't sent a card or present for dds for years - she doesn't even acknowledge the gifts we send to her (although we know she accepts them).
It does irritate me a little.
I always make sure to send things early (hope that doesn't sound smug).

LilRedWhiskGers Sat 12-Jul-08 17:42:39

You really need to learn to let go of this or it'll eat you alive. Seriously, it's not worth the stress.

I have a very similar setup and it's really not worth the hassle! My Mum told my siblings that all I wanted for my 30th birthday was a card off all of them - they still didn't all manage it.

Let it go and BREATHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

FabioTheLiterateCat Sat 12-Jul-08 17:47:50

Agree with the marvellously named previous poster.

Stop sending stuff to your sister.

expatinscotland Sat 12-Jul-08 17:52:58

Gifts are meant to have no strings attached. You give it because you want to, not to point score or keep score as to what you get in return.

If you're unable to do this, then stop.

soopermum1 Sat 12-Jul-08 18:09:10

hmmmm, this subject is close to me heart as today is my birthday and H has not bought me a birthday present hmm

juneybean Sat 12-Jul-08 18:12:59

(happy birthday soopermum tis my birthday too!)

I'm the sort of person who will buy you a present but if you do not buy me one I won't bother the following year.

Sounds awful but that's just me shrugs

juneybean Sat 12-Jul-08 18:13:00

(happy birthday soopermum tis my birthday too!)

I'm the sort of person who will buy you a present but if you do not buy me one I won't bother the following year.

Sounds awful but that's just me shrugs

soopermum1 Sat 12-Jul-08 18:16:12

happy birthday juneybean!

Sim43 Sat 12-Jul-08 18:23:50

Half my family are always late with my family's birthdays, gets me really angry. Why should I bother to get theirs to them on time. I am thinking of telling them all to forget it and just send cards, but some of them would prob not manage that!angry

ivykaty44 Sat 12-Jul-08 18:31:00

I used to love late Christmas presents as a child - January ones were even better grin

let go, if you want to buy something for your sister do - if you dont then stop and just write a note saying you have decided to stop the present thing and just do cards or not even cards if you dont want to leave it at that.
grin

Life is far to short to get your knickers in a twist, and you will feel much better if you send a note - no explination just a note saying you are going to stop. Off load your worries and get on with spending your money on your dc and that be that. smile Happy days

LilRedWhiskGers Sat 12-Jul-08 19:12:38

I'd keep sending the cards/gifts - I do, it's good karma.

toastandbutter Sat 12-Jul-08 19:22:53

Why not use the money you spend on your sister for her birthday on you for your birthday? Does this make sense- it did in my head?!!!

chutneymary Sat 12-Jul-08 19:24:04

I am afraid I am not good at sending presents on time - cards always, but presents often arrive late. However, assuming the recipient will have something to open on the day, I don't think it matters too much. This way extends the pleasure over weeks (or even months - still owe my sister a present from MArch but can wait til I see her).

If it's stressing you out then stop. About 2 years ago, we had a Family Boden Crisis, as a result of which my BIL and PIL decided that we ALL would not exchange birthday presents. I found this unthinkable and happily we are now doing presents again.

chutneymary Sat 12-Jul-08 19:24:09

I am afraid I am not good at sending presents on time - cards always, but presents often arrive late. However, assuming the recipient will have something to open on the day, I don't think it matters too much. This way extends the pleasure over weeks (or even months - still owe my sister a present from MArch but can wait til I see her).

If it's stressing you out then stop. About 2 years ago, we had a Family Boden Crisis, as a result of which my BIL and PIL decided that we ALL would not exchange birthday presents. I found this unthinkable and happily we are now doing presents again.

chutneymary Sat 12-Jul-08 19:24:12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now