Talk

Advanced search

Is it me or does time go into some strange dimension when you have children??

(12 Posts)
lucyellensmum Sat 12-Jul-08 09:25:32

everything takes sooo much longer to do. Our DD is just 3 and i feel like my life is in slow motion. For example - i have just gone upstairs to rescue washing from the floor. DD decides to follow me up to "help". So, i end up with her standing at the top of the stairs with one sock in her hand, dithering and dancing around, while i stand there for two minutes with a mountain of washing in my arms........but DD, is like, "lumdedumdedum ive got allllllll day to stand here and play with this sock and stare at the ceiling whiles mummy is standing behind me trying to encourage me to go down the stairs.........her voice sounds a little strained"

We have no TV at the moment, which im afriad i do use as a babysitter when i want to do housework. So everything i do involves me playing with DD at the same time. So, it might be, unload half dishwasher, stop to put two duplo bricks to tower, unload another two plates "mmmuuuuuuummmmmmmmmy play" ad infinitum.......grin

Hanging the washing on the line, now thats interesting. DD loves to "help" so she throws the washing at me, this means that at least one item will need rewashing because i couldnt co-ordinate pegging out, shouting at dog to get off my carrots and catch said item of washing, usually mine!

I think when you have children, you are officially entering a time warp. Its like bed time is the opposite way around, it draggs that time between 4 and 7, when you are knackered but your little darlings want to play areoplanes around the living room, you watch the clock, when can you do dinner, oooh then you can get them bathed, read them 250 stories, of their choice following extended vascilation (sp), persuade them to lay on bed next to you and then perform the miracle that is transferring sleepy child to bed without waking as you know that this child will then think it is morning!!

Go downstairs, have glass of wine, mumsnet and watch a bit of TV, but three hours have gone by in a blink and its time for bed?? Then i look at DD slepping and think, ohhh she is so sweet, cant wait to play with her tomorrow hmm#

Is it just me??

mankymummy Sat 12-Jul-08 09:28:30

goodness me is it JULY already?! and i havent even cleared the breakfast stuff up and we're all still in PJs !!!!

i know exactly what you mean... i think someone is playing a cruel trick on us!

Kimi Sat 12-Jul-08 09:30:33

LOL, Wait till you have two and spend your time trying to stop them killing each other grin
Your DD sounds delightful by the way, and they grow so quickly enjoy it now, if you think this is tough wait till shes a teenager grin

lucyellensmum Sat 12-Jul-08 09:32:53

Kimi, thats the thing, i have an 18yo too, thankfully she has left home grin. Well, dossing down with her BF, just around the corner, convenient for her when she wants to come round and ask for money grin. Believe me having a tot and a teen in the house at the same time is befuddling in the extreme !

Kimi Sat 12-Jul-08 09:41:55

Can she not take little one to the park while you get things done?

I have boys 12 and 7 and boy oh boy some days I want to dig a hole and hide in it grin

lucyellensmum Sat 12-Jul-08 09:44:04

kimi - now thats FUNNY, i don't think my nerves could take it!! I would worry she would come back with the wrong child.

Kimi Sat 12-Jul-08 09:54:45

hmm /kimi goes to stalk LEM DDs to swap her rampaging boys for a cute 3 year old girl at the local park

PeterDuck Sat 12-Jul-08 10:08:16

Message withdrawn

wabbit Sat 12-Jul-08 10:23:28

Peter Duck... no not myth, I have a nearly 3yo who I have to wake smile

and a 16yo who I can't wake!! grin

and yes, I've slipped into that parallel dimension too! (lol at the idea that your teen could be useful!!!)

lucyellensmum Sat 12-Jul-08 13:08:01

wabbit - its good to see that I am not the only one who is hmmshock at the thought of my teenager looking after my tot. Not that i mean teenagers can't but mine definately couldn't. I don't want my DD watching Pimp my ride, MTV and cribs and adopting that mock aristocratic depressive accent taken on by all emo kids these days

But then the TV is broke (sort of) so, i dont see quite so much of DD1 for some reason. She says she doesnt want to come home because they have a plasma screen in thieir bedroom (she lives with her bf) and sky and broadband - i mean really, she doesnt have to leave the room does she hmm

LEM goes off to start another thread about what might be wrong with my TV

GentleOtter Sat 12-Jul-08 13:17:18

God! I could have sworn I was 21 just a minute ago...<looks for prickly spinning- wheel Rumpelstiltskin thingy >

wabbit Sat 12-Jul-08 16:01:02

I'm afraid my ds is subjected to 'girls of the playboy mansion' and 'sweet sixteen' when I have my back turned.. oh yes and Pimp my Ride too!!

having said that, she has been known to take her little bro swimming shock and definitely came back with the right little monkey wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now