Talk

Advanced search

for the welfare to be on srike next week at school for 2 days

(88 Posts)
dmo Fri 11-Jul-08 20:46:34

got a letter home tonight from school to say school will be closed on weds and thurs from 12pm till 1pm as there are no welfare staff to supervise the children. all children must be taken off the school property WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so cross

expatinscotland Fri 11-Jul-08 20:47:19

the welfare staff?

sorry, i don't know what you mean.

luckylady74 Fri 11-Jul-08 20:48:29

Do you understand the reasons behind the strike? Peoplke don't strike for a laugh. YABU

TheProvincialLady Fri 11-Jul-08 20:49:53

Do you mean that the dinner ladies are on strike? Well I don't blame them. They are badly paid and it is their legal right to strike if they see fit. It might be a PITA for you but, well, toughsmile

daffodill6 Fri 11-Jul-08 20:54:19

DDs school is totally closed for the 2 days - no kitchen staff, office staff, or teaching assistants ( those that are in the union etc)

I won't criticise peoples right to strike - and school should not be considered as childcare... but as someone who works its bloody hard to work around

dmo Fri 11-Jul-08 20:55:11

yes the dinner ladys (not to call them that anymore) grin
lots of people are on strike weds/thurs for pay reasons

DanJARMouse Fri 11-Jul-08 20:56:22

my dad is a behavious support officer.

he is on strike.

if you knew the conditions and pay he works in, you would understand.

it is to the extent, he has only just gone back to work after 2 months off due to stress and depression.

helllooostranger Fri 11-Jul-08 20:56:35

it's a union thing, and it's not just your school. YABU!
They need to be paid properly like everyone else.

dmo Fri 11-Jul-08 20:56:37

rather the school be closed all day than just 1 hr in the middle of the day

23balloons Fri 11-Jul-08 20:57:27

You think that is bad my sons' school is closing for the 2 full days even though all of the teachers will be in and some TAs. I would be much happier if it was only one hour they were not in school for. This is the 5th full day off since March (and I work during the day). The school have kindly pointed out that kids club (£25/child/day) will be open and they will send home work with the children for the parents to do with them so they don't miss out. Now that i think is taking the P*SS. I have emailed the council to complain

23balloons Fri 11-Jul-08 21:01:35

BTW I don't think YABU - I work in a school myself so know the pay. I think it is a disgrace!

HonoriaGlossop Fri 11-Jul-08 21:01:51

I support them - TA's, school office staff and kitchen staff are dreadfully paid and in general they do a fabulous job which should be MUCH better rewarded.

expatinscotland Fri 11-Jul-08 21:02:37

YABU

dmo Fri 11-Jul-08 21:03:42

balloon thats wrong
i have never taken my children out of school term time for a holiday but am guessing the school would not be best pleased if i did.
5 days since March is out of order

dmo Fri 11-Jul-08 21:04:39

get a different job if the pays bad

1dilemma Fri 11-Jul-08 21:09:31

I can't believe that our school is staying open, we had so many days off earlier
Although on past performance we will only get 1 days notice.
Am I wrong to say didn't dinner ladies just get big pay rise when EEC decided thier job was same as dustmans
(felt a bit sorry for bin men over that I know little kids make a mess grin but I'm not sure the 2 really are the same, ones inside during the day and the other is outside in the early morning for starters)

More seriously I did feel sorry for TAs only being paid for ?39 weeks of the year -presumably another example of society's inferior treatment of women (as per the working mothers thread about the launch of the gov. consultation)!
Anyway feel sorry for those with shut schools it is a pain and no YANBU to be cross but also support their right to strike etc etc so they ANBU
Have a nice drink, think about the weekend and chill grin you can worry about that tomorrow/next week

Sorry for the fenced sitting!

TheProvincialLady Fri 11-Jul-08 21:11:04

Dmo if they all get a different job you will be babysitting your own children EVERY dayhmm

dmo Fri 11-Jul-08 21:11:57

i do anyway i'm a childminder grin

1dilemma Fri 11-Jul-08 21:12:37

dmo that's not a very good response someone has to do poorly paid jobs wouldn't be much of a country if noone did (half of those jobs are so gross I think people deserve extra thanks for doing them-cleaning loos in a hospital, mopping up sick, picking human poo off the streets it's OK if it's your baby but otherwise.....)
Are you having a bad day?

DanJARMouse Fri 11-Jul-08 21:13:55

its not a case of get a better job.

would you rather your child is sat in a room trying to learn, but being constantly distracted by rowdy, uncontrollable kids, or would you prefer there to be someone like my dad who removes the child from the class, seats them in another room, with set work, and then issues punishments appropriately. All the while liasing with the parents of said child?!

dmo Fri 11-Jul-08 21:14:40

no but if they are unquilfied they must acpect poorly paid jobs (must be a least £5.50 per hr)

expatinscotland Fri 11-Jul-08 21:15:22

'get a different job if the pays bad '

what a great attitude!

hope the people who work in the care homes we'll all be in if we live long enough don't feel the same way you do.

it's a good thing all those people who went on strike so you and i could have working conditions that don't imperil our lives and the rights we have now didn't feel like you.

ScottishMummy Fri 11-Jul-08 21:15:22

it is their right to strike for better pay, T&C inevitably and strike aims to disrupt service provision in order to demonstrate its worth.

23balloons Fri 11-Jul-08 21:15:26

Exactly dmo if I fancied a cheap holiday and took 5 school days off I would be frowned upon by the school. I get paid for only 38 wks but you do get holiday allowance pro ratad in your pay eg if I worked 52 wks I would get 5 wks hols (more after more years) and that is added to the 38 wks pay and distributed through the year. My pay is low but I choose to work in a school because of the hours and holidays. In a private co I would get more pay but have a nightmare with childcare and costs that would outweigh the extra pay.

If you need more pay and don't have childcare responsibilities then why not work a 52 week a year job?

expatinscotland Fri 11-Jul-08 21:16:58

it was because of industrial action that there's a minimum wage at all.

and female strikers helped get you the right to vote, dmo.

gawd, what an inconvenience they must have been hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now