Talk

Advanced search

in wanting to return a childrens puzzle to the charity shop as half of it is missing?

(11 Posts)
Marne Fri 11-Jul-08 18:34:43

Bought a puzzle for dd2, we get home, sit on the floor to put it together only to find all the piece's are bent and 3 are missing angry

Dd2 screems the house down as the puzzle is only fit for the bin.

AIBU Wanting to take it back to the shop or should i have checked it before buying?

mazzystar Fri 11-Jul-08 18:35:40

should have checked i suppose
but they should have checked first too

lucyellensmum Fri 11-Jul-08 18:41:53

marne, i was going to post mucht the same the other week. Bought DD a puzzle from charity shop, it had complete written on the box and i paid £1.50 for it. When we got it home, not only did it have one peice missing, it had an extra random piece thrown in the box - um, did they think we wouldnt notice

Marne Fri 11-Jul-08 18:45:31

I payed £1, i feel a bit guilty taking it back as the money did go to charity but dd was realy upset. You would of thought they would have checked it before putting it on the shelf.

goingslowlymad Fri 11-Jul-08 19:06:55

I think you are being ridiculous to be honest. It's a quid. Mistakes happen, your daughter will survive. How old is she to both notice that pieces are missing and to throw a hissy fit about it?

Jajas Fri 11-Jul-08 19:12:20

Unreasonable definitely, it's a charity shop and one measly quid!

Scootergrrrl Fri 11-Jul-08 19:15:20

Perhaps you could mention it next time you go in - they might have someone who's supposed to check when they put stuff out. I wouldn't ask for your quid back though.

bluefox Fri 11-Jul-08 19:15:37

Marne - I dont think it would be possible for the assistants in all charity shops to actually do(in order to check if all pieces are there)every jigsaw puzzle thats donated for them to sell!

tillystar Fri 11-Jul-08 19:29:08

I was staring in disbelief at a woman the other day who was returning a top to a charity shop for £1.50.

It didn't fit but she didn't look hard up (maybe coz she is so tight).

So unless you want other customers staring at you in disbelief thinking "how tight couldn't she have left the £1 for charity and giventhe top back to be sold again" I'd say don't so it!

lucyellensmum Fri 11-Jul-08 21:23:21

i wouldnt have taken it back, but i was pissed off and will mention it to the woman next time i go in. Perhaps they just counted the pieces, but it woudlnt have hurt them to actually do the puzzle, it was only 20 peices.

I actually did return something to a charity shop once because it was unsuitable. It was a jacket for my DP, it was £8 and i couldn't afford to spend £8 on something that was no good. But i did say this to the lady and she said it was fine. I think it was fine too, considering that i spend shed loads of money in there.

Triathlete Fri 11-Jul-08 22:21:11

YABU

Treat it as a donation and a learning moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now