Talk

Advanced search

To make my friends get up at 7am after a hen party

(22 Posts)
PeppermintPatty Fri 11-Jul-08 17:57:44

I'm going to a hen party tomorrow night.

Two friends who are also going have just texted me to ask if they can stay at my house that night. They live long way away and had planned to stay at someone else's house but now can't.

I told then they could stay BUT the only space to sleep is downstairs (no spare room) and they would be woken up at 7am when DP brings DD down for breakfast (downstairs is open plan), and then have to put up with a lively and noisy toddler (she will want to play with them!) with a hangover.

I COULD make DP sleep downstairs so my friends can sleep in our bedroom with me, so they get a lie in. But think its unfair on DP (he will get woken up when we come in drunk!).

AM I being mean? I feel like a might be. But then I am putting them up at v short notice!

juneybean Fri 11-Jul-08 17:59:21

I don't think it's mean, especially if they know you dont have a spare room or anything and have to appreciate you're a mum first and foremost :D

dal21 Fri 11-Jul-08 17:59:48

YANBU

But - is it possible for them to move into the bedroom with you once your DP/ DC are up? That way everyone is happy...it's what I would do.

Flashman Fri 11-Jul-08 18:00:58

No not unreasonable - your house your rules

PeppermintPatty Fri 11-Jul-08 18:01:34

I'm planning to have a lie-in though!
DP is getting up with DD (we have arranged this so I could sleep in!).

It seems mean that I get a lie in and they don't!

Turniphead1 Fri 11-Jul-08 18:01:50

YANBU - I presume they have heard of things called B&Bs and hotels. As long as you have warned them, it's their choice. Personally, NOTHING would pay me to stay at your house...I would pay the £20 for a B&B and have a few less drinks. And you shouldn't inconvenience your DP - he is the one who has to do the early so you can have a lie in.

hanaflowerisnothana Fri 11-Jul-08 18:02:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Turniphead1 Fri 11-Jul-08 18:02:48

Out of interest, do they have kids themselves?

Dropdeadfred Fri 11-Jul-08 18:03:11

I would tell them to drag their sleeping bags up to yours when your dcs get up..then they can go back to sleep in your room

PeppermintPatty Fri 11-Jul-08 18:04:04

They could move upstairs when DP and DD get up I hadn't thought of that. It would mean moving the camp bed though. Which isn't impossible, just hard work!

Unless they don't mind sleeping on camping mats.....

Dropdeadfred Fri 11-Jul-08 18:05:11

Could they not sleep on sofas downstairs then crawl up to yours when dcs get up?

sparklesandnowinefor15weeks Fri 11-Jul-08 18:06:25

no not unreasonable at all, you've made them aware of the situation and if they are happy to accept it then there are no problems

have they moaned about it or something then?

PeppermintPatty Fri 11-Jul-08 18:08:34

We have wooden floor boards so will need more than just a sleeping bag!

They don't have children, they are young free and single and also several years younger then me envy

They said all the hotels are full. I live in a city so I think they meant all the CHEAP hotels are full wink. I don't think tey can afford anywhere expensive, and I totally understand this being skint myself grin

PeppermintPatty Fri 11-Jul-08 18:10:12

No they haven't moan at all. I just feel mean. And was wondering whether to make DP sleep downstairs. But would feel mean if I did that too!

sparklesandnowinefor15weeks Fri 11-Jul-08 18:14:04

talk to your DP and see what he says, he might not mind

if he does just stick to the original plan - after all you are doing them a favour

don't worry too much about it though just go out and have a fab night! smile

SexyMilf Fri 11-Jul-08 19:48:06

Not unreasonable at all, you're doing them a huge favour, perhaps ust have stonrg coffee on hand as given they don't have kids of their own, it will help soften the shock wink !

jammi Fri 11-Jul-08 23:40:42

Message withdrawn

cat64 Fri 11-Jul-08 23:45:24

Message withdrawn

lilolilmanchester Fri 11-Jul-08 23:49:52

agree with the others. YANBU. They are welcome, but have to fit into your family. If you had asked them first, then it might be appropriate for you to make more of an effort by moving DP downstairs. But they asked you, they weren't invited. So they either like it and lump it or pay for a B&B somewhere else. Just be sure you have made it clear to them what the deal is at your place, perhaps even say "if you think you might want to sleep later than 7am, then you might like to think of our local B&B..."

minouminou Fri 11-Jul-08 23:54:30

oh god, and if they're younger tha you, they can handle it
we had 2 friends, a couple, who are 10 years younger than DP and i staying over a few months ago - they were visiting oxford for a uni reunion
cam eback pissed, knew DS would be all over them (well, the female half of the couple - he LOVES her) at 7.00am
they just got on with it
by 8.30, DS was snuggled up to them in front of Backyardigans, and the male half of the couple was transfixed by pablo and tyrone - i heard him encouraging them under his breath

lilolilmanchester Sat 12-Jul-08 00:00:29

infact, if they are younger than you and childfree, it could be the perfect opportunity for you to have a lie in, while the visiting Aunties entertain your little ones... Go for it!

KerryMum Sat 12-Jul-08 00:04:33

what would you want THEM to do if situation were reversed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now