Talk

Advanced search

to think that compueter generated reports where the tecaher adds in NO personal bits or connectives etc etc are a pile of shite and should be ripped into liots of tiny pieces

(30 Posts)
MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Fri 11-Jul-08 17:02:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 11-Jul-08 17:06:58

I have been proof reading reports and some of them are a complete waste of paper.

And teachers, if you're going to use statement banks, watch the spaces in your reports. Otherwise it is completely bleedin' obvious.

And do remember to change the name when you copy and paste exactly the same report for two different children...

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Fri 11-Jul-08 17:08:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

edam Fri 11-Jul-08 17:09:49

there are two other threads on this exact topic (only primary age). There must be millions of pissed-off parents...

lulumama Fri 11-Jul-08 17:09:56

wise words, fallenmadonna, DSs first report in reception contained two references to another child... i was Not Pleased.

MamaG Fri 11-Jul-08 17:10:30

Yep they're farking shite

Ours is mostly like that then we have a paragraph relating personally to each child in literature, maths and science

hmm

we do have a new head though and with the reports came a letter basically saing sorry the format of the rports is wank, this is the last time you'll get sucha wank report grin

SoupDragon Fri 11-Jul-08 17:10:47

DSs are all personally written from what I can tell and all definitely apply to my child. I do like reading between the lines. DS1's reports always say "X is loud and opinionated and won't shut up" but worded in a positive way

TheFallenMadonna Fri 11-Jul-08 17:13:19

Actually, ds's was rather good. It sounded like him IYSWIM.

And some of the reports I've been reading were smashing. One teacher in particular. I wonder if the others realise how terrible their offerings look in relation.

MamaG Fri 11-Jul-08 17:13:23

lol SD

DD's one year said "DD is very enthusiastic in group discussion" which I read as "DD talks over everyone else"

bluefox Fri 11-Jul-08 17:13:23

YANBU - one of dds for PE said {cant remember exactly)but it was something like 'always hands in homework on time'! These reports are utter meaningless trash.

snuffy143 Fri 11-Jul-08 17:15:41

I absolutely agree...my DD's was poor...and full of punctuation and grammar errors. I know a lot of hard work goes into reports (am a teacher) and our Head would never allow error ridden reports to go out. Have complained. Have had a naff response..."we will take your comments into consideration blah blah blah". Would rather have a handwritten personal paragraph that actually suggests they know my DD has been sitting in the class all year. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

OomphreyCushion Fri 11-Jul-08 17:18:36

I send DH a report about our two children once a year.

They are home educated, and DH is out at work a lot.

It contains such insightful comments as:

"DS1's memory and concentration skills are improving greatly, but if he insists on showing me one more sodding card trick, I may be tempted to emigrate. Alone."

and

"DS2's reading is coming on a treat. We are now all fully aware of why those manga books you brought back from America are rated 16+."

Makes a refreshing change to the 'could try harder' comments they used to get from school. grin

Imaparenttoo Fri 11-Jul-08 17:25:57

You are 100% correct - from a teacher

Slouchy Fri 11-Jul-08 17:26:58

I am in favour of hand written reports myself! (Ex teacher). They are more personal, FORCE the teacher to be more careful with spelling etc and allow opportunities for genuinely honest responses.

UnquietDad Fri 11-Jul-08 17:34:33

All reports used to be hand-written when I was at school. When did this computerised shit come in?

artgirl73 Fri 11-Jul-08 17:36:36

I absolutely LOATHE the computer generated reports I had for dd1 all through primary - they make the children into little automaton drones, it's so depressing. Hardly worth keeping them tbh, unlike the gems we used to get as kids which make entertaining reading for my children!

janeite Fri 11-Jul-08 17:37:46

I agree. I'm a teacher who has just finished writing personalised reports for all of my pupils, plus HOY reports for all of the pupils in my Year group.

I HATE statement banks!

HuwEdwards Fri 11-Jul-08 17:38:21

DD1's (reception) said 'I will miss teaching XXXXwith her caring nature and beautiful smile'

<<<preen>>>

(Actually I looked at the front for her name to make sure I had the right report wink)

HuwEdwards Fri 11-Jul-08 17:39:25

DD2 not DD1

(I know you don't care, but I like to be factually correct)

TheFallenMadonna Fri 11-Jul-08 17:39:26

I used to have a sort of mental statement bank of course.

charliecat Fri 11-Jul-08 17:42:38

Our reports are.............TICKs.
In either 1- for excelling whats expected.
2- bang on target.
2- not achieving whats expected of.

marmalady Fri 11-Jul-08 17:45:18

Am a teacher too. I also hate statement banks. however, at my previous school I taught 17 art groups with 16 of them containing 30 students. they had to be hand-written. Much nicer for the parents but oh my! The sheer hours and hours it took!

marmalady Fri 11-Jul-08 17:46:56

charlie cat shock

juneybean Fri 11-Jul-08 18:08:49

Wow I didn't even know these things existed! What happened to good old fashioned written yearly reports??

Khara Fri 11-Jul-08 18:37:24

I am/was a teacher, although I haven't worked since ds1 was born (he's 10 now - not sure how that happened!!!) Anyhow I do agree that these reports are largely a waste of time (teachers' as well as parents'). I only really read the Literacy/Numeracy & General comment as the rest basically just says what they have covered in the year in that subject. The computer generated software for these reports was just coming in when I left teaching - (but we still had to handwrite our reports at the school I worked at!) The software was in response to the fact schools were suddenly required to produce much more detailed reports in all the subjects and it was a real pita to do. I mean, what can you say about a 6 year olds performance in say geography or RE unless they have shown a particular bent for the subject at such an early stage?? But as long as teachers are required to produce a three-volume novel for each child, I think you are going to keep getting these generic reports - and certainly ones produced on a computer. (God, the year I had to write these new fangled long reports by hand was so soul-destroying - it's probably why I've never gone back into teaching! You'd just get to the end and make a mistake aaarrgghh!)

Personally I'd prefer to receive something short & sweet that was actually relevant to my child's own performance & personality, rather than a teacher feeling she has to fill in every box with waffle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now