Talk

Advanced search

To say "No!" and slam the phone down to the millionth junk phone call to the wrong person.

(57 Posts)
TotalChaos Thu 10-Jul-08 11:41:52

I get at least 10 phone calls per week for a Mr. GXXXXXX. A Mr. GXXXXXX has NEVER lived at my address. I suspect he may have had our phone number before we got it 6 months ago. Today I cracked - and just said "No!" and slammed the phone down when someone asked to speak to Mr. XXXX. Then the woman called me back to tell me off for being rude then slammed the phone down on me!!!! From what I can ascertain this Mr. G is on the phone list of dodgy loan companies etc.

sleepycat Thu 10-Jul-08 11:44:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itati Thu 10-Jul-08 11:44:37

Report her for being rude.

Next time they ring, tell them you will just get him, and leave the phone on the side for ages.

I have just got stroppy with the M&S chargecard people for sending me more crap about a card I no longer have.

TotalChaos Thu 10-Jul-08 11:45:06

It was number withheld on 1471 Itati, that did occur to me!

yama Thu 10-Jul-08 11:45:56

Tell them straightaway that you have signed up with the TPS (Telephone Preference Service). They are then obliged to aplogise and end the phonecall.

I may be wrong but a friend who worked in a callcentre once told me that.

I agree - it is an invasion of your privacy.

browny Thu 10-Jul-08 11:47:50

Total Chaos, sign up to the Telephone Preference Service, marketing companies can't call you then. It is free and registration takes 28 days: www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps to register. HTH

TotalChaos Thu 10-Jul-08 11:48:50

thanks ladies who replied. Also thanks for the TPS info. Does TPS apply to offshore companies too?

Bramshott Thu 10-Jul-08 11:50:37

When I am feeling calm, I say "we don't accept sales calls" and when I'm not I just put the phone down! I also often say "no, he's dead" to all the callers for the guy who used to live here, which puts them off a bit!

ChickenBurger Thu 10-Jul-08 12:03:26

We're on TPS but we still get about 10 calls a week for some mystery guy who is obviously in a lot of debt.

I have had various rude responses from these companies when I explain he doesn't live here, including demands to know who I am and "why are you lying to me".

I have no patience with them now - I shout as soon as I hear them say his name.

I have officially lost it.

TheProvincialLady Thu 10-Jul-08 12:04:59

I agree with the TPS advice but before you say that, act interested and get the full name of the company concerned so that you can trace them to make any complaints.

I used to have a competition with my dh: There were two ways to win

1. The person who could get the caller to hang up on them quickest

2. The person who could keep them on the phone the longest.

My Dh always won. He once got someone to sing to him by pretending to be a drunk lonely russian. Although prize for most persistent seller went to the guy who still tried to sell dh a conservatory even though dh had told him he was currently burgling the property. DH said he'd love one, but asked if the caller realised he would not be paying for it, just stealing it off the van as it arrived. Still wanted him to have it hmm

justageek Thu 10-Jul-08 12:12:47

do you have a toddler?

When they phone to ask for such and such i say hang on, then put my toddler on and leave her to it :D

Flashman Thu 10-Jul-08 12:13:03

Why not just say one moment I will just get him and then leave the phone off the hook and then just go about your day - I am sure they would soon take the hint and remove the number.

Anglepoise Thu 10-Jul-08 12:21:40

Sign up with the TPS but also when people call then tell them that you are registered with the TPS and ask them to remove all your details from their database.

I used to get this for people who used to live in our flat, who clearly just gave out their number willynilly - about three calls a day, when I was working nights angry

TheHedgeWitch Thu 10-Jul-08 12:23:26

Message withdrawn

andiem Thu 10-Jul-08 12:25:22

what I do is say ooh I'm a bit busy at the moment give me your number and I'll ring you later they get really pissed off about it one woman shouted I don't want you ringing me at home and I said well that's what you are doing to me

WilyWombat Thu 10-Jul-08 12:27:40

They cant get off the phone fast enough if you tell them you are registered with TPS although I do think it relates more to sales calls.

Get the loan companies address and write to them tell them what the situation is because the operator has fogotten all about it and moved on to their next call when once you are off the line.

Are you sure this guy isnt listed in one of the directorys under your phone number, it might be worth checking.

WilyWombat Thu 10-Jul-08 12:29:03

Oh and dont report her for being rude its a shit job she probably does just to pay her bills.

itati Thu 10-Jul-08 15:39:17

Well if she can't do her job without being rude, she should look for another job.

itati Thu 10-Jul-08 15:39:38

And I think most people are working just to pay bills atm.

TotalChaos Thu 10-Jul-08 17:21:32

I agree it's a shit job, but there was no need for her to deliberately call me back. Will go down the TPS route first of all. Wily - how would I check that - other than on bt website?

theSuburbanDryad Thu 10-Jul-08 17:27:16

If it's debt collection agencies then the TPS won't block them as they are "legitimate" companies.

I think you can go down the route of having him removed from the address - not sure how you go about it though, I had to it with Experian (credit rating people) as the previous tenants in my old flat had blacklisted the property.

"No, he's dead," may be quicker (although untrue). grin

JRocks Thu 10-Jul-08 17:29:02

TPS has cut right down the amount of sales calls we get. Some still slip through, but you can then report the company back to TPS and I believe they can be fined. The problem I've got now is someone ringing me throughout the day but there not being anyone on the other end - a 'silent call'. It's a local number too, but when I tried to call it back I just get 'this number does not accept incoming phonecalls' angry

itati Thu 10-Jul-08 17:30:29

JRoacks - probably a computer ringing you.

If I answer a call with withheld/unrecognised number and they don't answer me as soon as I say hello, I hang up.

VictorianSqualor Thu 10-Jul-08 17:32:07

TPS is crap.
I have it.
Today I had a call from someone asking if I dealt with my gas and electricity bills myself, I wanted to reply 'No, I'm just a dumb housewife who has to get hubby to do it for me' but instead told them how yes, I do deal with it myself, just as I deal with the phone bill and the registration on TPS and as such they shouldn't be calling me, now could they please remove my number from their database and stop calling me.
Half an hour later, someone from a different company, yesterday I think I had two calls.
I have tps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now