Talk

Advanced search

in wanting to show off a wee bit???? Please indulge me....[smile]

(27 Posts)
Psychomum5 Wed 09-Jul-08 19:55:35

DH has a little while ago come home from his mum and dad's.

his grnadma recently died, and we have been slowly house clearing.....

now, his grandma was one of the original wags..........DH's grandad was a proffesional football player, and played twice for england in the 1930's, and also for aston villa, blackburn rovers among others.

well.......DH has now inherited one england cap (his brother has the other), one medal, one football shirt (he has the welsh one as he played wales and won and they swapped shirts), and a signed picture of his grandad in his aston villa team, plus a huge one of him in the england squad.

it is thrilling.....a famous piece of history in our family, and his grandma......a wag (altho in some ways, not something that thrilling maybehmmwink)

we now want to find a way to frame them all.....

soo......indulge me please in this excitement......tis really wonderful feeling for my DH to have something of the grandfather he loved so much and has missed for so mamy years (he died when DH was 16).

micegg Wed 09-Jul-08 20:02:52

How wonderful. What a lovely memory for your DH.

No YABU wink

Psychomum5 Wed 09-Jul-08 20:04:50

thankyou

I did not know where to put this.....chat moves far too quickly, and so here was the other choice (IMOwink)

but yes, history for DH, and for the children

Onestonetogo Wed 09-Jul-08 20:10:39

Message withdrawn

OurHamsterisevil Wed 09-Jul-08 20:10:57

That is so fantastic. What wonderful heirlooms to have. grin

OurHamsterisevil Wed 09-Jul-08 20:11:54

oops x post onestonetogo

ChukkyPig Wed 09-Jul-08 20:20:11

Onestonetogo idea v good. Then you can get the things out and look at them together as a family every so often and all feel proud. You can keep all the photos and things in there as well. Also they won't fade so much as if up on the wall.

Really brilliant story! You must be v chuffed!

Psychomum5 Thu 10-Jul-08 09:04:34

replies!

sorry, disappeared last night.....DH was most rude and aquired the laptop for himselfhmm, to look up prices for frames......suffice to say the treasure box idea is looking a mighty fine plan to mewink.

the photos' we may have restored and framed however, there seems to be some damage to the england one......not sure whether it can as yet, or costs, but DH wants the pics on show (understandably).

still thrilled, and the kiddies want to show them off at school too......we will see

TheHedgeWitch Thu 10-Jul-08 09:10:04

Message withdrawn

Psychomum5 Thu 10-Jul-08 09:13:03

that would be a fantastic thing to try and discover........what a link to the past hey.

I can link to a photo of DH's grandad in action actually.....found it the other day on the internet!!!

here!

TwoFir Thu 10-Jul-08 10:09:02

if you contact the museum of london or other museum with textiles they will give you advice on how to preserve the t shirt, make sure it doesnt fade/get moths/damaged etc

how lovely for you all!

Flashman Thu 10-Jul-08 12:20:22

Wow PM5 that sounds amazing

LadyThompson Thu 10-Jul-08 12:25:25

That's lovely. And UP THE VILLA!

VictorianSqualor Thu 10-Jul-08 12:31:53

<<hijack>>
LadyThompson are you near Oxford yet?

VictorianSqualor Thu 10-Jul-08 12:36:36

I always do this!
Read a thread, go to answer, hijack and forget my reply.
Sorry psycho!
I also think it's a great thing to have, are any of your lot into football?

LadyThompson Thu 10-Jul-08 12:48:10

Hello VS! Well, I spend virtually every weekend near Woodstock as DP lives there and usually one night in the week. Moving there full time in Nov and won't know anyone - all DP's friends are blokes who work, and once my maternity leave is over, I'm going to be working from home as well, so will be cut off and lo-o-o-nely in a strange place. So if I could crash any of your meet ups, I'd be ridiculously grateful. It's my first baby and I am 36. Quite some hijack - sorry psycho, I am genuinely pleased about your good fortune!

TheHedgeWitch Thu 10-Jul-08 12:51:00

Message withdrawn

VictorianSqualor Thu 10-Jul-08 12:55:53

You certainly can!
We're meeting up central oxford for the breastfeeding picnic on 21st july if you're around?

LadyThompson Thu 10-Jul-08 12:56:46

Hooray! Haven't lived there for many a moon but I was born there. The West Midlands, not Villa Park. I've lived in London forever but I still get a start when I see a West Ham strip. Anyway, sorry AGAIN Psycho.

Psychomum5 Thu 10-Jul-08 12:58:06

twofir....never thought about contacting anyone regarding the preservation of the materials.......I will metion it to DH as he is wondering how to clean the cap....it is white velvet (why, they were menhmm.....altho BIL has the red one!, and it has discoloured to yellow in parts. I am not, in any way, agreeing to washing it.....if it goes wrong I will forever be blamed!, so he will be interested to see if they might have suggestions. luckily so far as we can see, there is no moth damage on either cap or shirt....fab.....grandma clearly looked after them well.

VS.....all the family watch football avidly (except me........how boring, watching a ball kickedblushwink), and DH and BIL up until last year or so always played in the sunday leagues.

I have now got our boys going on a sat morn to the girls school and the trainers there are from AFC Bournemouth...they love it! In fact, the boys are about to have a joint party at the local ground where they get a signed ball and tour of the stadium, plus food and a game with the 'younger' team....all for £9 per child.....I am so excited for them, and DH almost wet his pants he was so thrilled whne I told him where I had booked (not literallywink).

LadyThompson Thu 10-Jul-08 13:01:08

I would love to come, despite having nothing to breastfeed yet (would come for solidarity though - why not!) - but unfortunately I'm still at work in London full time until late Sep so a Monday's no good for me. Be cheering you on from the Big Smoke though. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any further meet ups and I hope it's a lovely - and sunny - day.

Flashman Thu 10-Jul-08 13:17:57

Btw Psycho mum - have you got anything else sorted with ref your accident?

Psychomum5 Thu 10-Jul-08 13:23:34

argh, flashman......am still wishing evil thoughts upon him!!!

the police are on it......they say he produced documents at the scene, and cannot work out why it has taken him 8mths to decide he wasn;t driving! sooooo......no idea as yet as to whether I will be going to court, but police back me, so I am feeling confident that it will (albeit very slowly and maddeningly) get sorted.

fingers crossed of course!

Psychomum5 Thu 10-Jul-08 13:24:19

and how are things at yours?? when is baby due, and are the shoes still a secret??

Flashman Thu 10-Jul-08 13:29:41

Still evil - I've not managed to get them dropped to just nasty yet then?

Well my fingers are crossed for you.

The shoes are still secret, and by God if it comes out now I am just going to run - is at the moment like a pent up bom. Baby is due now in 13 days.

Does this sound strange - but when people ask me if I am scared or excited ect I think a little but my main feelings is that I am bored now with waiting and just want it to happen.

Oh sorry for the Hijack. I was intersted as Dw uncle used to play pro footie at a similar sort of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now