Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why the headteacher won't authorise dd being out of school, but it's fine for others.

(111 Posts)
Boco Wed 09-Jul-08 17:09:58

In our primary school there is a policy that a child can be taken out of school for holiday for a maximum of ten days a year.

I have a free ticket for a festival working for a wildlife trust doing pond dipping, arts and crafts, owl walks, wildlife walks etc. I'd be working only 3 hours a day on friday saturday and sunday - the girls could come too and join in with all the activities. I asked for the Monday off too as it's end of term, there's nothing happening much - we won't leave the festival until monday morning.

Several of my friends are going - they've asked for permission too.

The head has written me a letter saying that she will not authorise absence for my dd and if she is not in school on the friday and monday it will go on her record as an unauthorised absence.

Friends have all been granted permission.
Even the TEACHER is going to the festival on the friday!

Why us?
Have history with this head (trauma of the birthday table) Am I being paranoid or is this a bit odd.

justabout Wed 09-Jul-08 17:10:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justabout Wed 09-Jul-08 17:10:55

maidamess Wed 09-Jul-08 17:11:02

Oh go anyway...whats the worst that can happen. Unauthorised absences reflect worse on the school than on you.

cornsilk Wed 09-Jul-08 17:11:05

ask why - it is odd if others have been authorised

justabout Wed 09-Jul-08 17:11:27

justabout Wed 09-Jul-08 17:11:59

Boco Wed 09-Jul-08 17:12:06

But apparently, taking her anyway means I could be fined.

Have had 5 days in a year - and you're allowed ten.

savoycabbage Wed 09-Jul-08 17:12:31

At the meeting for my dd's new school the head told us that if you apply for 10 days off school all at once then you will get it but if you have five days off and then apply for more time later in the year it will be rejected.

justabout Wed 09-Jul-08 17:12:56

edam Wed 09-Jul-08 17:13:27

What maidamess said. Head is clearly an unforgiving old bag.

Our head has cracked down on authorised absence - apparently the only thing she will grant now is anything to do with sport.

CarGirl Wed 09-Jul-08 17:13:52

Write to the governers, explain you feel that you are being victimised as others are allowed to go? Will rattle her cage anyway.

edam Wed 09-Jul-08 17:14:34

you won't get fined! They'd have to take you to court. And that only happens to parents whose children really do not turn up, repeatedly.

FabioTheWhisperingCat Wed 09-Jul-08 17:14:50

Are you going to write/phone the head?

"I am aware that the following children (x,y and z) will be attending the festival with permission - is there a reason why dd does not have permission?"

You should send the letter inside a birthday card.

Boco Wed 09-Jul-08 17:16:29

Oh bloody hell. Am SOOOOO tired of this woman. She hates me. She wanted me to do something for her yesterday, envelope in dds bag just addressed to me using my shortened first name, so friendly. I couldn't do, it - found her and said 'sorry, can't make it, dd2 has a swimming lesson at that time'.

Todays letter addressed to Ms.Boco, and is very snippy. She's such an old bag.

LittleBella Wed 09-Jul-08 17:17:17

How can you be fined?

Doesn't she need to take you to court for that?

And doesn't that only happen if your child is an habitual truanter?

Boco Wed 09-Jul-08 17:18:59

Is that right? About the fine?

Fuck it then.
She's had ONE day off, due to illness since january. I volunteer in the school, I've done masses for them, she's a grudge holding cowbag.

hatrick Wed 09-Jul-08 17:19:14

Message withdrawn

cornsilk Wed 09-Jul-08 17:21:27

Are you going to question why some children have been allowed to go and some haven't? How can she justify that one?

lulumama Wed 09-Jul-08 17:24:29

write to governers and ask why some children and a teacher are going to this educational trip and your DD is being refused permission.

head is being very petty and immature, clearly holding a grudge which is totally unprofessional

in DSs school it is the chair of governers that grant the term time leave.. we are allowed 10 discretionary days, don;t know anyone who has been refused

Boco Wed 09-Jul-08 17:24:42

Yes, will definitely question that - but just really really wish I didn't have to - I find it so hard to deal with her, she's blunt and rude and condescending and it reduces me to a jibbering idiot - partly because of past dealings with her. I just could do without having to deal with her again.

One friend who is goign has just had her sons out of school for 3 weeks. (her mum died, so had good reason - but 3 weeks long time)

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 09-Jul-08 17:38:51

Boco - check out your council website but legally I don't think they can fine you if shes had less than 10 unaithorised seesions. A session being half a day. I'm pretty sure that's the minimum. Our LEA only fone over 20 sessions which is the 10 days holiday thingy. The sick day would have authorised I assume.

TBH I would ask the question as to why others have been authorised but not your dd bearing in mind her otherwise good record.

They don't actually have to take you to court though. It's a fixed penalty notice issued by your council.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 09-Jul-08 17:39:29

PMSL at my typing. Am turning into Cod!

LittleBella Wed 09-Jul-08 17:41:31

really? can any council issue one of these?>

and how can they enforce it? if you refused to pay?

then they would have to take it to court, and threaten you with prison if you didn't pay up i suppose

how utterly absurd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now