Talk

Advanced search

(i know i probably am) To be disapointed that whilst at my local shopping parade all around me were foreign.

(548 Posts)
MAMAZON Sat 02-Feb-08 21:12:41

I don't want to start a UCM type thread but it just struck me how prety much everyone i saw at the shops earlier was foreign.

no one seemed to be speaking English at all.

southeastastra Sat 02-Feb-08 21:14:03

aw poor ucm, i think she got flamed for one night of letting off.

FAQ Sat 02-Feb-08 21:14:08

that's because everyone that's born and bred here knows to avoid the shops on the 1st Saturday after pay-day and had all stayed at home grin

MAMAZON Sat 02-Feb-08 21:18:54

pmsl yeah i think your right FAQ.

i agree about UCM, has she left btw? i think i understood what she was trying to say...she just didn'y wuite get it out properly given teh fact she had consumed a little alcohol

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 02-Feb-08 21:20:09

I don't get why you would be disappointed?

hercules1 Sat 02-Feb-08 21:21:20

God, they'll be letting these 'foreigners' into school next..

cluelessnchaos Sat 02-Feb-08 21:21:56

think YABU, why should it bother you if the were foreign or not. What did UCM say?

PussinJimmyChoos Sat 02-Feb-08 21:22:04

What I find interesting, is that in Britain, people slate the Brits so quickly for saying that they feel like a minority in their own country...in some areas it is a fact that British people do feel a minority and I'm not coming at this from a racist angle at all as I'm married to an Arab and most of my friends are foreign, but I do see the point the OP is making....

Then again, we do have a shitty history of Imperialism, so we have to understand the consequences of that

Lulumama Sat 02-Feb-08 21:22:04

i was on that UCM thread, don;t want to partic. drag it all up but it was absolutely horrific and it was not the first time she had said such things .. she was banned IIRC.

anyhoo, not sure why you would be disappointed?

hercules1 Sat 02-Feb-08 21:23:29

Actually I'm really pleased dh is here otherwise he'd be dead like many others in his family who aren't here.

cluelessnchaos Sat 02-Feb-08 21:25:33

I am really pleased your dh is here too, hercules1,

hercules1 Sat 02-Feb-08 21:26:03

You wouldn't have thought of me as a foreigner but my parents aren't from this country either. Most people immigrated here at one time or another in history.

stayhomemum Sat 02-Feb-08 21:26:25

I went out shopping today and was surprised at the amount of foreign people out shopping, but certainly not disappointed. Why should we be?
I would have hated to think that whilst I was living abroad with my foreign DS, that people were disappointed that I was living in their country.

MAMAZON Sat 02-Feb-08 21:27:32

i dunno. it just felt a bit wierd that almost every conversation i heard was in a foreign language.

i knew i was opening a bit of a can of worms with this.

Disapointed was probably the wrong word. it just kind of struck me thats all.

FillyjonkisCALM Sat 02-Feb-08 21:27:55

Am confused

why would it be a problem that people in a shop were "foreign", whatever that means?

What has happened to UCM?

I presume that this is some sort of in-joke? I bloody hope so.

southeastastra Sat 02-Feb-08 21:29:40

i didn't see the thread ucm got banned for, she just went

Lulumama Sat 02-Feb-08 21:29:49

would it have been less disappointing if they were speaking in English?

hercules1 Sat 02-Feb-08 21:31:08

Which shopping centre was it? I'll make sure my dh and kids don't go there so as not to make you feel bad.

PussinJimmyChoos Sat 02-Feb-08 21:31:39

It would be if they were chavs.....ruining the Queen's English and all that....wink

Lulumama - how are you my lovely? Have you seen the new, hunky and tall policeman in ER????? He can handcuff me any day.......

PeachesMcLean Sat 02-Feb-08 21:32:18

Yes. Very unreasonable to be disappointed.

Lulumama Sat 02-Feb-08 21:32:36

i am very well, thank you ,my lovely, not watched ER yet as catching up on other stuff, but i shall doubly look forward to it now !

PussinJimmyChoos Sat 02-Feb-08 21:33:34

He is mmmmmm!! Going out with Sam, the ER nurse....the greedy cow had Goran and now she's got him...pah!

Hercules - where is your DH from? Mine is from Syria smile

hercules1 Sat 02-Feb-08 21:33:41

Mind you dh got better grades then me in English (taken in another country). He also helps me with official letters in english as his grammer is better than mine.

lennygrrl Sat 02-Feb-08 21:34:21

Message withdrawn

hercules1 Sat 02-Feb-08 21:35:02

Sri Lanka although schooled in an American Boarding school in India. He has the problem of speaking fluently in more than one language.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now