To be unhappy about this birthday gift from DH

(175 Posts)
annaop Mon 18-Oct-21 20:46:54

An electric toothbrush? Really?! Wrapped up nicely, as my 'main' present. I could barely conceal my disappointment. Married over two decades.

OP’s posts: |
DangerousCity Mon 18-Oct-21 20:49:37

YANBU! It was my birthday yesterday.. I got a puppygrin (DP knows me and the kids had wanted one for a while and to my surprise I actually got one)!
Buy him a pair of socks for his bdaywink

Brollywasntneededafterall Mon 18-Oct-21 20:50:28

Buy him a willy warmer in a 'small 'size...

Lipsandlashes Mon 18-Oct-21 20:50:29

I had an electric toothbrush from DH about 5 years ago. I was rather pleased with it at the time and it is obviously my most used present ever!

theremustonlybeone Mon 18-Oct-21 20:50:39

My DH did this once after many years of considerate thoughtful presents, he had taken me out with the DC a few days before my birthday and showed me a glass fruit bowl and a few other kitchen items we needed bits from John Lewis. Lo and behold that is what appeared for my birthday...that was the same year he got his mother a tin opener. He was told to shove it up his ass and not to take the piss next time. No idea what had come over him but it didnt happen again. So yes I would have been pissed off at a toothbrush..

MrsSkylerWhite Mon 18-Oct-21 20:51:05

I’d be delighted with one of those water flosser things (married over 3 decades) 🤷‍♀️

AICM Mon 18-Oct-21 20:51:55

What did you buy him for his last birthday?

Advertisement

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 18-Oct-21 20:52:15

If you didn't ask for one, it's a bit sad.

Aphrodite31 Mon 18-Oct-21 20:52:38

I'd be so happy if I got a really nice one for my birthday.

~I think he thought it was a luxury, but also really good for you, bless him.

BrilloPaddy Mon 18-Oct-21 20:53:32

DH has got me some true corkers over the years. He now knows that he isn't allowed to go "off grid" and if I write a list, it's because I want the things on it and it's not for him to decide if I "need" them or not. And he doesn't know me better. Taken bloody years of training mind.

A toothbrush is a really generic thoughtless gift and something you'd expect from your in laws .... not your partner.

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 18-Oct-21 20:55:09

Mine recently died and I can’t justify buying a new one atm so I’d be over the moon!

Do you already have one?

Cuntness Mon 18-Oct-21 20:55:30

MrsSkylerWhite

I’d be delighted with one of those water flosser things (married over 3 decades) 🤷‍♀️

They're really good. I love mine.

tigerbear Mon 18-Oct-21 20:56:12

Sorry OP, that’s a bit rubbish.
A toothbrush is the kind of thing we’d pick up with our weekly shop.
Have you told him you’re upset?

annaop Mon 18-Oct-21 20:56:23

Yeah, I thought 'generic' gift. The sort of thing you grab from the end of an aisle in the shop, last minute. Plus ... I had an electric toothbrush before, couldn't get on with it. He must have forgotten that!

AICM Mon 18-Oct-21 20:56:28

AnneLovesGilbert

Mine recently died and I can’t justify buying a new one atm so I’d be over the moon!

Do you already have one?

Husband or toothbrush?

CourgetteGlutTony Mon 18-Oct-21 20:57:34

I’m getting DH an electric toothbrush for Christmas; it’s an excellent gift and he’ll be delighted 🤷‍♀️

MrsSkylerWhite Mon 18-Oct-21 20:58:15

Cuntness

MrsSkylerWhite

They're really good. I love mine“

Brilliant, thanks, that’s my Christmas sorted!

Skyeheather Mon 18-Oct-21 20:59:49

Which one did he get you and how much was it? Some of them are really expensive, the one I want is £150.00.....

Ask him for the receipt, take it back and exchange it for something else....

annaop Mon 18-Oct-21 21:00:11

When I opened it I think I went something like 'oh.. an electric toothbrush', then looked at it for a bit, as I was trying to figure out how on earth I should respond, then decided to place it to one side and ignore it.
I think he knows I'm a bit disappointed and I also think it was literally a last minute purchase as he looked sheepish.
There are so many options from John Lewis for instance he could've got.

cakewitch Mon 18-Oct-21 21:00:18

My DH got me some paintbrushes for my birthday! I was thrilled. I needed them.

annaop Mon 18-Oct-21 21:00:52

Oh it wasn't an expensive one BTW

Spanielsarepainless Mon 18-Oct-21 21:02:52

Nothing with a plug should be given as a present unless specifically requested!

pompomsgalore Mon 18-Oct-21 21:03:29

You are not alone.

https://youtu.be/V39qPwKpcGg

MrsSkylerWhite Mon 18-Oct-21 21:04:41

So, no TVs, gaming systems, computers. Hmmm

CarelessSquid07A Mon 18-Oct-21 21:04:52

This reminds me of the early years DH got me jewellery every year even though I never wear any.

Then there was the year he 'forgot'. He now knows his birthday present depends on how well he does for mine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in