Huge mass in breast aibu to go to a&e ?

(341 Posts)
needabitof Thu 14-Oct-21 06:56:15

Last week I went to the doctors - my right breast has a big mass in it that has appeared in the previous week.
He checked my liver, lymph nodes, so I know what he's thinking, and referred me to the breast clinic under the 14 day rule. Except it isn't 14 days, it's over three weeks before you can be seen. The gp can do nothing to speed things up apparently.
I thought I need to pay for a private mammogram, it's £400. I'm desperate - imagining the worst constantly.
Managed to get a referral sent by the gp to the private hospital, only to be told they're breast clinic has been cancelled for the next three weeks.
Aibu to go to a&e to get some medical advice or wait? The mass is getting bigger and painful each day.
What would you do? Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
something2say Thu 14-Oct-21 06:59:27

Yes get up and go. Especially if its painful. Its early now, beat the rush xxx

JustcameoutGC Thu 14-Oct-21 07:04:20

You must be worried sick. I hope this is some reassurance but there are lots of things that can cause lumps in boobs ans only a small fraction of them are cancer.

A&e will not be able to magic you up a mammogram, which is what you need.

Your best bet would be to find a private clinic with an opening. Start ringing round any you can get to.

Did the GP say if you had any markers of infection? Something growing as fast as you say would more likely be an infection.

Good luck.

Mreggsworth Thu 14-Oct-21 07:08:31

Yeah I would go a&e, I do think they have ways of fast tracking especially if you say it's getting noticeably bigger in front of your eyes and more painful.

When I woke up with a large lump I was able to be seen by breast clinic in 5 days. That was 5 years ago so obviously a different time and place but I feel it was somewhat fast tracked.

Mine turned out to be a fibroadenoma about the size of a apricot. my sister also had painful lumps which turned out to be cysts.

Astrak Thu 14-Oct-21 07:09:02

Please could you let us know how you get on? I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with the unkowingness.

Lockdowndramaqueen Thu 14-Oct-21 07:09:08

An infection growing fast is still a serious problem you need to be seen by someone. Agree re ringing round but otherwise a and e. Good luck.

ANameChangeAgain Thu 14-Oct-21 07:10:24

Go to A&E and please keep us posted.


dunroamingfornow Thu 14-Oct-21 07:11:34

A friend had a mass in her breast that was painful and growing and needed antibiotics while waiting for appointment at the breast clinic. I would go to A & E and get seen. You may need urgent antibiotics

NigelSlatersXmasTaters Thu 14-Oct-21 07:11:55

Just go. It's painful, you've tried other options first to no avail and it's changing and growing.

Seriously, don't worry, just say you didn't know what else to do and you're in pain and worried so wanted someone to have a look.

JuneOsborne Thu 14-Oct-21 07:13:54

Just to reassure you this happened to my friend. A ginormous mass appeared in her breast over night. Bigger than a lemon. She too had the 14 day referral that took a month. But once she got to the appointment they did a consultation, mammogram, ultrasound, another consultation (where they told her it was a cyst and in fact she had 3, 2 in the other breast that she couldn't feel) and drained them there and then.

So, if you can hang on for the breast clinic, you'll get brilliant service hopefully. If you think it's an infection or something more urgent, I can't see what alternative you have other than A&E.

Hope it is easily solved. flowers

Athinginitself Thu 14-Oct-21 07:14:56

If it's very painful or hot you should speak to the GP again and they may prescribe painkillers or antibiotics. I can understand you are worried but I don't think it's a case for A&E.

Lougle Thu 14-Oct-21 07:15:06

The GP won't necessarily be thinking cancer, but they refer under the 2 week wait in case it's cancer. A fast growing mass is less likely to be cancer and more likely to be a cyst or an abscess. If it's getting more painful, it could be an abscess.

If you're in pain, it's growing and you feel that 3 weeks is too long, then A&E sounds like your only option.

LostforWords2021 Thu 14-Oct-21 07:17:38

Yes, go now.

Fluffypastelslippers Thu 14-Oct-21 07:18:46

Aibu to go to a&e to get some medical advice or wait?

In the nicest possible way, have a think about this.

A&E isn't there to give medical advice. They won't fast track you for your appointment either.

CovidCorvid Thu 14-Oct-21 07:22:05

I think you need to ring your gp and ask about abx while you’re waiting.

MrsLargeEmbodied Thu 14-Oct-21 07:23:04

you are on fast track, unless it is painful/growing/hot you will be seen in nhs soon

Bagelsandbrie Thu 14-Oct-21 07:23:54

It sounds like a cyst or an abscess if it’s growing that fast and if it’s painful, so yes I would go to A and E.

mummyh2016 Thu 14-Oct-21 07:24:09

If you're in pain and need antibiotics then yes, however if your intention of going to A+E is to get seen by a specialist sooner it won't work I'm sorry. I fully sympathise, you must be worried sick and it is a really shit situation.

GnomeyGnome Thu 14-Oct-21 07:27:33

I'm sorry you're going through this but I'm not sure A&E can do anything that your GP can't. I would call your GP this morning for an urgent appointment, explain that it is getting bigger and more painful and you are worried about an infection. Did they do bloods at least?

RoseAndRose Thu 14-Oct-21 07:36:02

I think it's likely to be a cyst - fast growing and painful

But I'm not a doctor, and perhaps you need to be seen for painkillers and maybe ABs if there are grounds to suspect infection.

Are there other private providers you can reach? If you go for private diagnosis services, what happens then? Will you stay in the private sector?

EdenFlower Thu 14-Oct-21 07:37:13

Going to A&E won't get you into the breast clinic sooner!

Only go to A&E if you think it's something which needs emergency treatment- e.g you are in so much pain you can't function, you have a fever or signed of an infection such as hot, red skin.

It's not likely to be breast cancer- that's a slow burner and not often painful.

CyclingIsNotOuting Thu 14-Oct-21 07:39:01


FYI you can go to any private hospital for the mammogram, although the one you tried has cancelled their clinics, there may be others nearby still going.

Hope you get it sorted.

UniversalAunt Thu 14-Oct-21 07:42:21

Increasing pain - go to A&E now before it gets busy.
Could be an infection or something else.
Best be seen by a dr in case immediate treatment is indicated.

The referral to a specialist breast assessment as a parallel path stands.

SinoohXaenaHide Thu 14-Oct-21 07:42:45

Its not an accident or an emergency so you shouldn't go to A&E but absolutely ask the GP for antibiotics and painkillers while you wait, and call other private prividers if you wish and can afford it (but as pp say it's far more likely to be something other than cancer so don't panic and pay a fortune)

LowlyTheWorm Thu 14-Oct-21 07:43:16

I’d go back to the GP but not A and E.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in