To panic about the dire state of the UK?

(1000 Posts)
moveblues Sat 25-Sep-21 20:39:01

So... all things considered... aren't we up sh-t creek?
-gas and electricity prices
-covid (masks? Pfft completed Covid mate (in England))
-council tax hikes
-inflation
-food shortages
-Brexit
-petrol

Sounds like something out of a dystopian nightmare. I'm worried dear reader, and 'keep calm and carry on' doesn't help.

OP’s posts: |
FedNlanders Sat 25-Sep-21 20:39:56

Yes and I think people are in denial

lannistunut Sat 25-Sep-21 20:40:35

Unfortunately I agree the UK is in a bit of a sorry state just now.

Newgirls Sat 25-Sep-21 20:42:44

Yep agree. Rest of world is reporting on it too.

Pls people don’t vote Tory again.

Royalgalas Sat 25-Sep-21 20:45:47

I agree, but I think our problems are much deeper and more profound than the issues you've listed here, which feel much more like symptoms than the disease itself.

It's grim, the country is a bloody mess. What makes it so much worse is that I cannot imagine the British public voting for anything other than the same old shit come the next General Election.

rocklamp Sat 25-Sep-21 20:46:06

Yeah, I think we're going to end up like some sorry eastern bloc country that's perpetually struggling and the rest of the world is oblivious to.

I remember years ago listening to an article on Radio 4 about Kazakhstan and how they didn't have any healthcare AND NOW THAT'S US! 😱😱😱

Nothing would surprise me now.

DecadentlyDecisive Sat 25-Sep-21 20:47:21

A good old Panic will help......

Not!

Advertisement

Cornettoninja Sat 25-Sep-21 20:48:22

Newgirls

Yep agree. Rest of world is reporting on it too.

Pls people don’t vote Tory again.

No chance. There’s not much of an alternative at the moment and people have a tendency to double down on bad decisions through pride or something.

DameCelia Sat 25-Sep-21 20:49:08

What @rocklamp ?? All the NHS staff and facilities just vanished??
Why is no-one doing anything?????

WormYourHonour Sat 25-Sep-21 20:50:28

I'm not panicking, but I agree with you.

I really don't know how the poorest are going to survive, I include myself in that as a UC claimant.

Uplift removal
Food going up or running out
Council tax going up
Electric going up
Gas going up

When you're left with 0 left a month, there's nowhere you can find another 20-30.

MythicalBiologicalFennel Sat 25-Sep-21 20:51:37

I agree OP.

However many people are in denial ("it's worse in the continent", "many complex causes", "I haven't noticed it", "why don't you just leave the car home / embrace Covid / not do your weekly shop" etc); they do not associate this mess with the Tory governments and will vote the same given the chance. Scary!

Chunkymenrock Sat 25-Sep-21 20:51:41

Environmental problems too.

HeronLanyon Sat 25-Sep-21 20:52:12

Just tonight I thought ‘I’m not sure how much longer I can carry on saying to myself ‘it will all be ok eventually’ because it’s beginning to feel different now. Just grindingly awful one thing after another.

Islamorada Sat 25-Sep-21 20:52:26

If it helps Op it is not so good in other countries either. Quite a few of the same issues than here with food, services, fuel prices skyrocketing and interest rates going up.

Totallydefeated Sat 25-Sep-21 20:52:44

Yep. Fucking awful, isn’t it.

Turns out Project Fear was a pretty accurate prediction.

LeavesAre Sat 25-Sep-21 20:53:00

It's bad yes.

I think there is more to come with the world finances 2008 style.

carlycurly Sat 25-Sep-21 20:53:00

Totally agree. Also feel I have not voted for a single element of this shitshow. I can't think too much about it as it terrifies me.

moveblues Sat 25-Sep-21 20:55:15

I didn't vote Tory, nor for Brexit. I'm fairly ok (both DH and I have stable jobs, savings and decent incomes but I'm aware that could change!). I'm scared for other people too... sad

OP’s posts: |
StoneofDestiny Sat 25-Sep-21 20:56:17

Anybody expect any different from idiot Boris Johnson? Buffoon act turned out not to be an act after all.

LeavesAre Sat 25-Sep-21 20:57:32

I don't like Boris and I think he is a dreadful PM, Angela Rayner, the kranky misogynist and boyo misogynistic duo aligned with see into souls Moran/men everywhere alliance give me worse chills than a man who cheated on his wife when she was going through cancer treatment and made a mess of Covid and Brexit.

Bitofachinwag Sat 25-Sep-21 20:58:35

rocklamp

Yeah, I think we're going to end up like some sorry eastern bloc country that's perpetually struggling and the rest of the world is oblivious to.

I remember years ago listening to an article on Radio 4 about Kazakhstan and how they didn't have any healthcare AND NOW THAT'S US! 😱😱😱

Nothing would surprise me now.

We do have healthcare. Perhaps not exactly as good as you want it to be.

ADialgaAteMyDog Sat 25-Sep-21 20:59:16

The NHS may as well have packed up and gone, did you see this today?
[[https://mobile.twitter.com/lucygoss/status/1440582545767219202 ]]

Bloody awful

Eealoty Sat 25-Sep-21 21:00:54

To anyone thinking other countries have it worse in Europe. There are indeed deeper issues at hand here in the UK. It's a rotten mentality we have. Have you visited an Eastern European country in recent years (I'm not even talking about Nordic). Romania, Poland? It was beautiful. Well kept little towns on cobbled streets with civilised restaurants.. filled with locals. No drunks falling around everywhere. NO homeless. No crass behaviour around. That was my experience of a visit - off the beaten track - in an "eastern bloc" country. However, . .. Keep believing the British exceptionalism is real. It's what everyone goes back to when the media leaves out any other narrative.

Greytminds Sat 25-Sep-21 21:01:40

Completely agree @moveblues. The UK is an embarrassment and the current situation is absolutely dire. It isn’t about panicking, it’s about recognising the failures of our government as a start point. The mainstream media are not doing so, the main opposition party is not doing so. These things are all just happening without anyone challenging or asking why.

MartyHart Sat 25-Sep-21 21:02:28

I'm in the EU.
No shortage of truck drivers.
Supermarket shelves full and plenty of fuel.
Energy prices will rise but suppliers are not going bust.
Healthcare is more or less back to normal, just with masks.

This thread is not accepting new messages.