Talk

Advanced search

dd wants an mp3 player, what do you all think? shes 4.8??

(42 Posts)
santaoftheopera Sat 01-Dec-07 20:48:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

santaoftheopera Sat 01-Dec-07 20:49:08

DynamicKermitsNanny Sat 01-Dec-07 20:51:20

Yeah I would You can't lock the volume but you can discuss with her the need for volume control.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-YP-U2W-1GB-UltraSlim-Player/dp/B000ES178M/ref=pdecc_rvi_cart1

I have this one which is simple to use and computer rechargable - easy to store things on etc

seeker Sat 01-Dec-07 21:00:38

I wouldn't. dd got one for her 10th birthday , and ds will have to wait til 10 too. I fyou give them this sort of stuff at this age, what on earth are they going to get when they are 11?

Can't bear the thought of pre-schoolers walking round with earphones plugged in!

A good cd player for her room and a seletction of story cds much better in my opinion.

clayre Sat 01-Dec-07 21:02:40

PIL have got one for my dd 4.10, i dont really mind, i have a feeling that she's not gonna be interested in it till shes a bit older

janeite Sat 01-Dec-07 21:03:01

Agree with Seeker.

woodenchair Sat 01-Dec-07 21:49:18

If you are worried about her ears could you get her some speakers as well?

They don't have to be expensive, or is she already asking for and ipod?

I'd get her one if she wants

santaoftheopera Sat 01-Dec-07 21:51:18

frogs Sat 01-Dec-07 21:53:42

Can I link to this thread where someone was asking about headphones a while ago?

The short answer (and I have a background in hearing research) is No. Far too young. Get her a CD player with built-in speakers. Put off anything with headphones for as long as you possibly can.

santaoftheopera Sat 01-Dec-07 21:58:10

santaoftheopera Sat 01-Dec-07 21:59:44

WendyWeber Sat 01-Dec-07 22:01:57

Presumably at 4.8 she doesn't get the train by herself? What do you do to pass the time at the moment?

(I agree that this is waaaay too young for an MP3. Sony used to do a kids' cassette player with headphones that had a volume governor - can you still get something like that, but for CDs?)

frogs Sat 01-Dec-07 22:02:23

It's not to do with the fall-out noise bugging me. My concern is that the level of sound delivered to the child's ears under the circumstances you describe (and pretty much any circumstances in which headphones are likely to be used in the real world) has the potential to cause long-term damage to the child's hearing.

FrayedKnot Sat 01-Dec-07 22:02:30

How long is the train journey?

dramaqueen Sat 01-Dec-07 22:06:03

I don't think it's such a bad idea. I take my ipod when we go away and my dc (6 & 4) often listen to stories and music on it on a long car journet, or camping to get to sleep if the campsite is noisy. I wouldn't buy them an ipod, obviously, but I would consider a cheap one.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 01-Dec-07 22:08:26

ds1 had my old cd walkman in the summer when we drove to france (he was 4.11 at the time), wasn't planned but he saw it when we were getting stuff out to pack and asked about it. It was great, kept him quiet pretty much all the way there .
no way would I consider it for a (presumably short) daily journey though.

Alambil Sat 01-Dec-07 22:55:15

My ds has an MP3 player (a My First one) The sound can be locked on it and he LOVES it!

I'd go for it

paulaplumpbottom Sat 01-Dec-07 22:56:22

My dd has one and she is 4. She just has a cheap one but its a big hit

seeker Sun 02-Dec-07 03:53:12

Am I the only one who is a bit concerned about the social isolation of a small child in a family group listening to its own seperate stories and music? What happened to chatting, looking out of the window, listening to shared music and stories......oh, ignore me, I am obviously a boring old fart who doesn't understand anything!

paulaplumpbottom Sun 02-Dec-07 11:23:11

I take your point Seeker, my dd doesn't use it all the time but it entertains her in places she is bored like the grocery store

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Sun 02-Dec-07 11:41:12

I totally agree Seeker.

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Sun 02-Dec-07 11:45:45

I also hate to see children watching in car DVD's, what is wrong with looking out the window.??

We were in France last weekend we saw some men hunting in a field. A few miles later DS pointed out some more that I had not noticed we then had a chat about what they might be hunting, how long they had been out etc.,. He would not have seen them if he had been glued to a DVD player.

dramaqueen Sun 02-Dec-07 11:48:07

Gosh I'm not talking about a 30 minute car ride but on a 6 hour car journey to cornwall when my dc both wnat to listen to different stuff. Then one of them can put my ipod on for half an hour and the other one can listen to the cd in the car.

That leaves 5.5 hours of "chatting, looking out of the window, listening to shared music and stories..."

Don't be so sanctimonious.

filthymindedvixen Sun 02-Dec-07 11:49:43

Agree a portable cd/tape player much better at this age.

ds is getting an mp3 for his 10th birthday. When we go down to cornwall, we listen as a family, to story tapes, play crap, tedious games, and sing songs. Tis all part of the fun.
We have portable dvds but they are kept for 'emergencies' or the long, tedious, depressing drive home again

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Sun 02-Dec-07 11:52:46

DQ

How does my having an opinion on in car DVDs make me sanctimonious ? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now