About DH ‘sneaking up’ on me

(66 Posts)
peaceandlovetoall Thu 05-Aug-21 09:03:15

I am being UR. Genuinely not sure what to do though.

Lying in bed watching some telly, and DH suddenly appears behind me and makes me jump. Then starts talking to me so have to pause my programme. Can’t just get back into it as I’m always waiting for him to appear again!

I know I sound like a grouch but does anyone else find this?

OP’s posts: |
IonaLeg Thu 05-Aug-21 09:05:12

Is he deliberately sneaking up to scare you, or just soft footed?

Either way, just ask him not to do it. If he’s doing it deliberately he’s being an arse. If it’s accidental ask him if he can call out on his way up the stairs or something to give you a heads up.

Durbeyfield Thu 05-Aug-21 09:07:18

*king annoying. My first H used to do it, he was a complete w**ker.

spooney21 Thu 05-Aug-21 09:09:54

My dh did this on me last year when I was sunbathing peacefully in the garden with a hat and headphones on. I was on a reclining chair. He came up behind me pushing the chair back and inadvertently I slapped him on the face. He just startled and frightened me so much. He hasn't done it again or anything similar ....,

Chikapu Thu 05-Aug-21 09:13:17

Is he doing it all the time or was it a once-off? My other half is not light enough on his feet to sneak up on anyone!

Frazzledd Thu 05-Aug-21 09:16:26

@spooney21 🤣! I've done something similar, that'll teach em!

pickingdaisies Thu 05-Aug-21 09:16:56

My DH always seems to turn up for a chat - usually work related- 5 minutes from the end of something I'm watching but he isn't. He used to get offended that I wasn't giving him my undivided attention, so now I pause the program. Funnily enough, he used to complain about that too, so I told him it was that, or he could go away for 5 minutes and I'd find him when the program finished. It really reminded me of training a child to be patient while grown-ups were doing something.
The sneaking up thing though, I'd be a wreck, I jump out of my skin over the smallest thing, and thankfully DH finally understands and tries not to trigger it! (Wetsuit hanging up over the bath, anyone?)

Advertisement

ConstanceGracy Thu 05-Aug-21 09:18:51

No as he’d be dead after the first time

peaceandlovetoall Thu 05-Aug-21 09:20:33

It’s not on purpose but it’s really annoying. I just leave him to it when he’s at work so it feels like he’s interrupting what’ve sees as my free time!

Burnt0utMum Thu 05-Aug-21 09:22:30

I do this to DH every chance I get, it's hilarious. He sometimes gets home after everyone has gone to bed. He'll be in the kitchen making something to eat and I sneak downstairs and hide behind the wall then jump out at the perfect moment. He said he wouldn't do it to me cos he knows I'd probably have a heart attack grin

peaceandlovetoall Thu 05-Aug-21 09:24:54

Erm yeah that’s not exactly what dh is doing but while I get you presumably know your dh better than I do that would really not amuse me @Burnt0utMum

Birkie248 Thu 05-Aug-21 09:31:38

Burnt0utMum

I do this to DH every chance I get, it's hilarious. He sometimes gets home after everyone has gone to bed. He'll be in the kitchen making something to eat and I sneak downstairs and hide behind the wall then jump out at the perfect moment. He said he wouldn't do it to me cos he knows I'd probably have a heart attack grin

It’s the opposite of hilarious. Tiresome.

Chikapu Thu 05-Aug-21 09:34:10

Burnt0utMum

God, that would get old very quickly.

2catsandhappy Thu 05-Aug-21 09:34:28

Does he do this with any one else? Is he a practical joker sort? Pranks, loves Halloween?
I've got 2 ex's, one would find work for me to do if I sat down and the other was convinced I was er..having private time, if I was ever on my own.
It is really annoying if it is a regular thing.

peaceandlovetoall Thu 05-Aug-21 09:35:12

It’s not the sort of childish behaviour @Burnt0utMum is describing. He is literally just coming in to talk to me tbf! But I don’t hear him so it makes me jump!

Meatshake Thu 05-Aug-21 09:42:19

My husband did it to me once in the dark, unlucky for him I had bit of a rough upbringing and my immediate reaction was to deck him full on in the face.

Not happened since 🤣

ZeroFuchsGiven Thu 05-Aug-21 09:42:56

Burnt0utMum

You might find it hilarious but does your DH?

I would be fuming if DP (or anyone for that matter) did this to me 'every chance they got'.

You sound bloody annoying.

Wilkolampshade Thu 05-Aug-21 09:44:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

peaceandlovetoall Thu 05-Aug-21 09:46:08

I have concluded mine is a toddler.

Follows me into the shower, won’t give a minutes peace when I’m in the middle of something.

I need a rewards chart.

Whatamesssss Thu 05-Aug-21 09:46:18

Just put a cowbell on him.

ZeroFuchsGiven Thu 05-Aug-21 09:46:47

Whatamesssss

Just put a cowbell on him.

grin

Iggly Thu 05-Aug-21 09:47:36

Burnt0utMum

Hilarious for you maybe.

DrDetriment Thu 05-Aug-21 09:48:46

@Burnt0utMum You sound like a tiresome bully.

Frazzledd Thu 05-Aug-21 09:49:43

peaceandlovetoall

It’s not the sort of childish behaviour @Burnt0utMum is describing. He is literally just coming in to talk to me tbf! But I don’t hear him so it makes me jump!

So he's not doing it 'for a laugh' and he's just coming in to talk to you?

I suppose it depends on how invested you are in what your watching as to whether he's being unreasonable....its not really his fault you don't hear him?

Frazzledd Thu 05-Aug-21 09:50:54

peaceandlovetoall

I have concluded mine is a toddler.

Follows me into the shower, won’t give a minutes peace when I’m in the middle of something.

I need a rewards chart.

....that makes it slightly different, and annoying!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in