To think they owe us half of the treehouse/climbing frame

(475 Posts)
Holidayhumbug Fri 30-Jul-21 22:01:15

Last summer we were living with my partners parents. They have a large garden and we were grateful that our two kids could run around and enjoy our time there. 'Inlaws' suggested buying a treehouse/climbing frame for the kids (seemed like a good idea when playgrounds were closed due to COVID). They offered to pay half and suggested some to look at. We chose a fairly large, reasonably expensive one with the idea that our kids (and their cousins -the in-laws other grandkids) would get quite a few years use out if it and it would be nice to play on when we visited. In-laws have now converted a cottage adjacent to their house into a medium size holiday let and have fenced off the garden around it. This part of the garden contains the climbing frame. This means that all summer and any time the cottage is let, our kids cannot play on it. They are taking good money for each week let and the play equipment features prominently in promoting holiday cottage. Is it unreasonable to think they should offer to give us back the money we spent? (Close to £700)

OP’s posts: |
LolaSmiles Fri 30-Jul-21 22:02:54

If they're using your children's play equipment to make money, they should cover the full cost of the play equipment in my opinion.

chnahingnameagain Fri 30-Jul-21 22:03:30

Yes they should. The whole point of you payinb towards it was so your children will benefit playing on it

Givemebackmylilo Fri 30-Jul-21 22:03:46

LolaSmiles

If they're using your children's play equipment to make money, they should cover the full cost of the play equipment in my opinion.

agree with this

HollysBush Fri 30-Jul-21 22:04:29

Bloody cheek.

dotdotdotdash Fri 30-Jul-21 22:05:17

YANBU. Ask them to reimburse you

Lougle Fri 30-Jul-21 22:05:36

I hope they've got good insurance and appropriate safety surfacing, if they're advertising the play equipment as part of the holiday let.

YANBU anyway.

Advertisement

ScaredOfDinosaurs Fri 30-Jul-21 22:06:16

The brass neck of it!

Cheeky fuckers. Yes they should pay you back.

Have you asked?

Holidayhumbug Fri 30-Jul-21 22:06:36

Glad I'm not just being bitter about the situation. We're here visiting at the moment and they seem so unconcerned about it all. I'm not really brave enough to confront tbh. Made a comment and they said well they can play on it between 11-4 on changeover day...angry

Hellodarknessmyoldpal Fri 30-Jul-21 22:06:42

Did they discuss this with you before they fanced it off? Given you've paid for half of it this seems really unfair. Could you dismantle the climbing frame and have it moved?

Hankunamatata Fri 30-Jul-21 22:07:05

I'd first ask them to move the climbing frame so dc can play on it all year round and see what they say.

Sprogonthetyne Fri 30-Jul-21 22:08:01

I think a lot depends on why you were staying with them. If it was to help you, then surely the £700 is a drop in the ocean compared to what you would have saved by living there, so I'd just write it off for the sake of maintaining the relationship. Your kids already played on it last summer, so it served a purpose in keeping them busy during lockdown, and now it's helping your inlaws to have an income.

PigeonPink Fri 30-Jul-21 22:08:06

Seeing as you are now presumably living somewhere else, tell them you’ll dismantle and remove your kids’ equipment so they can have it at home. Or they can buy it off you if they want to keep it and you’ll buy a new one.

Holidayhumbug Fri 30-Jul-21 22:09:47

I think they see it as their plan to fence off the garden came this spring, so after we'd bought and built the equipment last summer. It's just annoying as we discussed where in the garden it would go etc etc before building it. It was a lot of money for us but we justified it as a longer term investment (even though, I accept, it's not our garden) and nice for a few years of weekend and holiday visits

Zombiemum1946 Fri 30-Jul-21 22:11:06

Given the way air b&b is going that holiday let will likely be fully book most of the year, so yes I think it would be fair get some money back.

parietal Fri 30-Jul-21 22:12:09

talk about how much your kids miss the play equipment and can it be moved back to the accessible half of the garden. then if GP say no, the rental needs it, you have an opening to say 'well we paid for half so can we get some money back to buy something else'

I've also stayed in rental cottages that have shared play equipment. if the renters are not in the garden, maybe your kids could be allowed to play?

Holidayhumbug Fri 30-Jul-21 22:12:46

We were living there due to lockdown and so the kids could maintain a relationship with one set of grandparents at least. They're loads of space (massive house) and living there benefitted them as well I think (so not lonely in lockdown) didn't save us money as still paying own mortgage, shared bills with them and we also still paid for nursery fees we could've used if stayed in our own home. Yes, grateful for the nicer garden during lockdown but annoyed because no way would we have spent so much just for one summer - we could've bought something to then take back home.

Pastrydame Fri 30-Jul-21 22:14:42

You were living with them and presumably saving lots of money, unless they charged you rent? (Which is a possibility, given what they've done!) I do think you have to factor that in. Very confusing for your children about why "their" play equipment is now next door!

RLOU30 Fri 30-Jul-21 22:14:53

If I paid little or no rent whilst living there for a period of time I would probably write it off

Holidayhumbug Fri 30-Jul-21 22:15:08

Sprogonthetyne

I think a lot depends on why you were staying with them. If it was to help you, then surely the £700 is a drop in the ocean compared to what you would have saved by living there, so I'd just write it off for the sake of maintaining the relationship. Your kids already played on it last summer, so it served a purpose in keeping them busy during lockdown, and now it's helping your inlaws to have an income.

In laws are also getting £1k + each week from the cottage so not scraping by

PerciphonePuma Fri 30-Jul-21 22:16:18

Yep I'd dismantle it and take it home.

Pastrydame Fri 30-Jul-21 22:16:18

X-post. Did lots of families do this in lockdown, move in with kids to GPS during that time? It seems very complicated.

Holidayhumbug Fri 30-Jul-21 22:17:38

Pastrydame

You were living with them and presumably saving lots of money, unless they charged you rent? (Which is a possibility, given what they've done!) I do think you have to factor that in. Very confusing for your children about why "their" play equipment is now next door!

We didn't save any money. Still had own mortgage council tax etc to pay. We paid for bills and food etc etc.
Thought would be good use of our money as long term 'investment' i guess. But now can't use it and now the money is gone we have none to spend on even getting a swing or something at home

Zombiemum1946 Fri 30-Jul-21 22:18:01

Lovely as they maybe, that's still pretty damn cheeky.

Holidayhumbug Fri 30-Jul-21 22:19:26

Pastrydame

Yeah very confusing and this evening we've had to hear a family with kids run and scream and play all over it shock

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in