To feel "posh"

(409 Posts)
leopardprintpants Thu 22-Jul-21 19:48:04

Have recently bought my DC towelling shorts from Boden for our holiday.. I feel like a bit of a posho which is weird, I know 😂

So what I want to know is, what thing did you buy for your children that made you feel "posh" or even, what have you bought your DC that your parents would have never dreamed of buying for you?

Lighthearted.

OP’s posts: |
Mollymarvelous Thu 22-Jul-21 20:02:05

Really enjoyed splurging on my baby knowing I could because I earned that money and I wanted to be flashy just this time. Not posh but carefree indulgent spending.... think all John Lewis . Yea I’m sure the Tesco ones are fine but meh !!!

fantastaballs Thu 22-Jul-21 20:05:06

My youngest daughter lived in Monsoon clothes and it was such a big thing for me being able to afford them after our elder kids had been raised in Asda.

orangejuicer Thu 22-Jul-21 20:05:16

Not posh but extravagant - £400 aircon unit.

MaskingForIt Thu 22-Jul-21 20:06:55

Currently have a Frugi habit for my little one. Perhaps not “posh” posh, but erring towards liberal elite 🤣

FuckingHateRats Thu 22-Jul-21 20:07:11

I regularly take my these kids into a bookshop, buy us all a new book and then decamp in the nearest coffee shop for hot drinks and cake, and to read our new books.

My mum thinks this is the epitome of extravagance 🤣🤣

FuckingHateRats Thu 22-Jul-21 20:07:49

My three kids*

Advertisement

AdoptedBumpkin Thu 22-Jul-21 20:09:42

FuckingHateRats

I regularly take my these kids into a bookshop, buy us all a new book and then decamp in the nearest coffee shop for hot drinks and cake, and to read our new books.

grin I like to visit bookshops with DD from time to time but never think of myself as posh.

raskolnikova Thu 22-Jul-21 20:11:49

I've just bought my DD a pair of Boden towelling shorts too - I had no idea this was a posh thing! Well, now I know, I'll enjoy the smug sense of posh satisfaction when she wears them grin

MySecretHistory Thu 22-Jul-21 20:11:53

Anyone who uses the word posh is not. You are safe. Enjoy your shorts (look at Vilebrequin or Orlebar Brown for posh)

BunnytheFriendlyDragon Thu 22-Jul-21 20:12:13

I think that's a lovely thing to do wth your DC

MaskingForIt Thu 22-Jul-21 20:21:15

FuckingHateRats

This is such a lovely idea, I am stealing it!

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 22-Jul-21 20:22:42

MySecretHistory

Anyone who uses the word posh is not. You are safe. Enjoy your shorts (look at Vilebrequin or Orlebar Brown for posh)

I refer to this as the Posh Spice Paradox.

leopardprintpants Thu 22-Jul-21 20:22:51

MySecretHistory

I'm not actually posh.. hence the use of the word "posho" 😂😂 I couldn't pronounce those brand names, more less afford them haha

OP’s posts: |
Meatshake Thu 22-Jul-21 20:25:54

M&S school clothes rather than Sainsburys.

Waxonwaxoff0 Thu 22-Jul-21 20:35:55

DS has a Burberry shirt for when we go out somewhere nice. Perhaps a bit nouveau riche rather than posh though!

OnOldOlympus Thu 22-Jul-21 20:39:41

MySecretHistory

What a thoroughly joyless comment!

Love the bookshop and cake idea cake

ToastandPeanutButter Thu 22-Jul-21 20:40:23

I have a holiday toiletries bag, and my normal one. I feel so indulgent not having to decant or take big bottles 🤣

CommanderBurnham Thu 22-Jul-21 20:45:47

Getting my car valeted at my house.

Amd at the moment, our air conditioned house.

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Thu 22-Jul-21 20:47:11

FuckingHateRats

I think this is a lovely idea, and intend to steal it for the next rainy day.

Nervousdrivingtest Thu 22-Jul-21 20:48:49

I buy Polarn O. Pyret winter coats for my dc. It's a massive extravagance for me as I'm a single parent and get UC top up. I buy them with Klarna to spread the cost and the eldest dc's coat gets passed down to the youngest each year so only ever buy 1 at a time. I have no idea why I'm so stuck on the brand because all their other clothes are from Primark and Matalan.

MySecretHistory Thu 22-Jul-21 20:50:15

Nervousdrivingtest

I buy Polarn O. Pyret winter coats for my dc. It's a massive extravagance for me as I'm a single parent and get UC top up. I buy them with Klarna to spread the cost and the eldest dc's coat gets passed down to the youngest each year so only ever buy 1 at a time. I have no idea why I'm so stuck on the brand because all their other clothes are from Primark and Matalan.

Very good reductions usually in the John Lewis sale and they have an outlet on eBay

StoneofDestiny Thu 22-Jul-21 20:50:21

@orangejuicer
Is it worth it, can you recommend one? Melting right now....

FuckingHateRats Thu 22-Jul-21 20:52:32

FuckingHateRats

My mum is actually horrified by the whole thing - we didn't have the money to do this when I was a child and I'm sure she sees it as really wasteful.

We love it though. Nothing nicer than perusing a bookshop and then settling into a new read with a latte and a slice of carrot cake! My eldest is 14 and he still really enjoys it. Don't regret any of the many hundreds of pounds we must have spent over the years.

Poochnewbie1 Thu 22-Jul-21 20:54:27

@Nervousdrivingtest I love those coats. Bought them for skiing holidays for both my dcs. You can probably sell them again even after both children have won them.

The latest ridiculous extravagance for my oldest dd is a wall mural for her bedroom. I would never normally spend that much on wallpaper but this was beautiful and I just had a daft moment where I though ‘sod it’ and am now regretting it because I also have to factor in the cost of getting someone to put it up as it was so expensive I don’t dare to do it myself.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in