AIBU to think you don't change your baby's nappy on a cafe table?

(181 Posts)
Bellasblankexpression Tue 29-Jun-21 14:07:38

This isn't a reverse before I start. Just been for coffee with a friend of mine and a couple of local mums I'd not met before. We were in a cafe with baby change facilities and yet after we'd finished our food, she moved the plates to one side, plonked the baby on a blanket and changed her nappy on the table....while we were still drinking our coffee!

AIBU for thinking that's gross? If there wasn't a baby change facility it might be different although I still think doing it like this would be gross, but there was and it was open as I used it for DS.

I mentioned it to my friend on the way back and she said she'd done it before too because it was easier. She thought it was hilarious that I was so grossed out by it.

So AIBU?

OP’s posts: |
Sirzy Tue 29-Jun-21 14:08:38

I would have pointed out the baby change to her.

Bellasblankexpression Tue 29-Jun-21 14:09:06

I did!

OP’s posts: |
AnotherDayAnotherCake Tue 29-Jun-21 14:10:40

🤮
YANBU. It’s gross. Like letting your child do a poo in the potty beside the table rather then take them to the toilet. Lazy parenting.

ButtercupBlue Tue 29-Jun-21 14:12:20

I've changed a nappy on a table in a softplay centre (when I had a toddler and baby) but personally wouldn't do it in a proper café.

LovelaceBiggWither Tue 29-Jun-21 14:15:53

Gross. I was once in a cafe with a group of mothers and one brightly said nobody minds if I change her here and was really pissed off when we said yes we do.

Sirzy Tue 29-Jun-21 14:16:17

ButtercupBlue

I've changed a nappy on a table in a softplay centre (when I had a toddler and baby) but personally wouldn't do it in a proper café.

Did they not have a baby change?

Advertisement

lardylegs123 Tue 29-Jun-21 14:16:44

Disgusting. I wouldn't have dreamt of doing this.

sbhydrogen Tue 29-Jun-21 14:19:20

Nope! Not cool.

Chocolatier9a Tue 29-Jun-21 14:19:34

I’ve seen this happen once during a holiday with relations in Illinois. In a cafe in Chicago. I assumed at the time that the bathroom was out of order.

When I got back to my aunt’s and told her she said they must have been from Iowa to do something so disgusting.

choosername1234 Tue 29-Jun-21 14:22:56

ButtercupBlue

This is just as grim

bellsbuss Tue 29-Jun-21 14:24:03

That is just grim envy

HippyChickMama Tue 29-Jun-21 14:27:25

My brother used to run a pub, one family changed the baby on the table outside and then left the dirty nappy, not even in a nappy sack, in the empty dessert bowl. He chased after them and handed them the nappy and the bowl as he refused to reuse the bowl even if it was washed first

ButtercupBlue Tue 29-Jun-21 14:27:41

They did but it was in the disabled loo which was in use. I used a changing mat so not like it was directly on the table.

bigbluecup Tue 29-Jun-21 14:28:49

That is vile. YANBU

Sirzy Tue 29-Jun-21 14:29:50

Sorry you could have waited, or even gone into a corner. Not changed it at the table

WheresTheLambSauce Tue 29-Jun-21 14:30:14

YANBU, very inconsiderate of other customers when there are perfectly good facilities to change your child in.

workshy44 Tue 29-Jun-21 14:31:13

Yuk.. animals. People have no idea how to behave anymore.

cookiecreampie Tue 29-Jun-21 14:32:06

There's no need for it. I've changed my kids in public when there has been no changing facilities available but I've done it discreetly and not where people are eating and drinking.

EveryoneIsThere Tue 29-Jun-21 14:33:41

That’s revolting.

viques Tue 29-Jun-21 14:35:31

ButtercupBlue

They did but it was in the disabled loo which was in use. I used a changing mat so not like it was directly on the table.

So as you had a changing mat you could have knelt on the floor and changed the baby there rather than on the table.

AutistGoth Tue 29-Jun-21 14:40:37

Putting urine or feacal matter anywhere near where people eat (regardless of the age of the person who produced said waste product) isn't on. It really isn't.

crazymicrowave123 Tue 29-Jun-21 14:41:34

I'd rather change my son's nappy on my lap in a bathroom even if there isn't any baby changing facilities around than do it in public, no matter the circumstances. That's so nasty and inconsiderate!

sparklyblue81 Tue 29-Jun-21 14:41:36

If there’s a baby changing room there’s absolutely no excuse for it!! I’ve changed babies by putting changing mat on toilet floor before, or in the car boot- a table people eat on is definitely not a suitable place 🤢

Thewiseoneincognito Tue 29-Jun-21 14:43:16

Hideous. Some people were clearly dragged up.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in