To think I DON'T need to self isolate yet?

(113 Posts)
barnabypop Sat 12-Jun-21 13:37:03

So I went to a birthday party in a friends garden last night. One of my friends had said she hadn't been feeling well all week, tight chest, headache etc but she'd taken several lateral flow tests so thought she was fine. Well this morning she has had a positive lateral flow test and is awaiting results of PCP test.

I had given her a hug and then touched her phone as she was showing me pictures on it and was sitting next to her most of the night. However, I read on government website that even if you have been in contact with someone with Covid you don't have to isolate until track and trace get in touch.

So am I right in saying I am free to go about as normal until I am contacted by track and trace? Will I even have to isolate if we were outside?

OP’s posts: |
1vandal2 Sat 12-Jun-21 13:38:01

Yabu

SallyCinnamon3009 Sat 12-Jun-21 13:38:01

I'd probs just do a few lateral flows over the next few days and then isolate if they're positive

Thatswatshesaid Sat 12-Jun-21 13:38:37

Who cares what the rules are you should isolate. Not doing so is breathtakingly selfish.

Sayitaintsoiwillnotgo Sat 12-Jun-21 13:39:22

Technically yes you can go out. But they have tested positive so protect your community and isolate. You were a close contact. Please don't spread it any further and follow the guidelines- isolate when you have been in close contact.

EducatingArti Sat 12-Jun-21 13:39:46

No. If you have come into contact with a confirmed case you should isolate immediately.

barnabypop Sat 12-Jun-21 13:40:11

@Thatswatshesaid I didn't say I wouldn't isolate? I asked a question, the rules say what they say.

Advertisement

countbackfromten Sat 12-Jun-21 13:40:53

Honestly, I give up. It sounds overwhelmingly like she will be PCR positive and you have been exposed yet the tone of your post is that you won’t self isolate until told to? No wonder this virus is still spreading. No wonder my colleagues and are I watching cases numbers and wondering if we will start to see more patients in hospital.

dementedpixie Sat 12-Jun-21 13:41:03

If you hugged her then that is a very close contact and you should isolate. Although legally you don't have to unless contacted by TEST and trace

GraduallyWatermelon Sat 12-Jun-21 13:41:11

Honestly I'd isolate until the results of her PCR. Track and Trace isn't known for its accuracy because people don't always give the right names, contact numbers etc. and you know you've been in contact with her. It could take days for them to contact you and you could spread Covid to anyone.

CherieBabySpliffUp Sat 12-Jun-21 13:41:46

You give being outside as an excuse not to isolate but you have her a hug! 🤦‍♀️
Of course you should isolate until her PCR test comes back negative.

bluntness1001 Sat 12-Jun-21 13:41:55

Officially no you don't have to isolate until she has a positive pcr test.

GraduallyWatermelon Sat 12-Jun-21 13:42:07

Test* and trace!!

UhtredRagnarson Sat 12-Jun-21 13:42:28

Why wouldnt you isolate?

PurpleDaisies Sat 12-Jun-21 13:43:16

You don’t have to until contacted by test and trace but you absolutely should.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 12-Jun-21 13:43:20

You are legally free to go about as normal and potentially spread an incredibly infectious variant around.

Morally and ethically however....

RuggerHug Sat 12-Jun-21 13:44:04

So you were with someone who has tested positive and are asking for permission to go around exposing more people than necessary, is that right?

Gingenius Sat 12-Jun-21 13:44:07

Officially no but morally yes: how would you feel if you found out you infected someone who ended up getting very ill. It sounds as though you’ll be contact traced in the next couple of days anyway so why not just start now. When my DD tested positive it took them 5 days to officially contact us.

ThinWomansBrain Sat 12-Jun-21 13:44:36

You're relying on track and trace to get something right? YABVU

the only trip you should make its to get a test. With a mask on.

gobackanddoitproperly Sat 12-Jun-21 13:45:22

If the reason track and trace are getting in touch with you is because you have (among other things) hugged her and essentially are classed as a close contact and you are already aware of these things, well, then you should isolate, I think.

LolaSmiles Sat 12-Jun-21 13:46:35

Technically you don't have to until contacted by test and trace.
The real question is why anyone would want to know how much they can get away with when they know they've been in contact with a positive case?

Sirzy Sat 12-Jun-21 13:46:52

You know you have hugged someone who has tested positive on a lateral flow. Surely common sense alone would say isolate until you know more?

barnabypop Sat 12-Jun-21 13:47:46

I'm isolating, I just thought it was weird that on the government website.

MinnieMountain Sat 12-Jun-21 13:47:50

It’s clear from the tone of your post that you’re only going to isolate once told by track and trace, so why bother asking?

MinnieMountain Sat 12-Jun-21 13:48:20

X-post. Sorry.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in