Page 2 | Underrated places in the UK

(503 Posts)
MaMaLa321 Wed 12-May-21 17:56:05

I enjoyed reading the thread on overrated places (so strictly this is a TAAT, sorry) but would love to know where in the UK people think is underrated.
Mine is Nantwich. I'd live there like a shot.

OP’s posts: |
lastqueenofscotland Wed 12-May-21 18:51:08

Liverpool
Echo Carlisle i had a friend who lived there for a year and I was surprised by how nice it is

ReindeerAreEvil Wed 12-May-21 18:56:43

Leicester

Checkingout811 Wed 12-May-21 18:58:22

Leeds & Liverpool

Geminijust Wed 12-May-21 19:03:14

Really hoping to see Cumbrian Coast/Western Lakes on here!

We've booked for the summer. Originaliy looking for actual Lake District but too pricey/low availability. Heard the Western side was much less touristy and uncrowded. Was certainly cheaper and seems plenty to do but we will see!!!

lachy Wed 12-May-21 19:04:04

I don't know that it's underrated as such but Birmingham. Specifically the outskirts, there are some lovely areas.

cupsofcoffee Wed 12-May-21 19:08:04

Silecroft beach in Cumbria.

@Geminijust I live there and there are some real gems! It's beautiful and very, very different to staying in the National Park.

Advertisement

AlphabetDinosaur Wed 12-May-21 19:08:52

Agree with Liverpool. Lived there for a year and it's the only place that I'd love to move back to.

MrsAlexanderHamilton Wed 12-May-21 19:17:07

@Geminijust, like @cupsofcoffee I am local to the Western Lakes and the Cumbrian coast. If you get decent weather there's few places better. Loads to do either for couples or families, and you can easily visit the busier parts of the Lake District for an afternoon if you want to. If you need any recommendations, just ask...!

Geminijust Wed 12-May-21 19:20:50

@cupsofcoffee - we'll be just down the road in Haverigg! From the research I've done there does seem to be lots to do and some of the lakes are still accessible for day trips. Also booked a couple of nights at the end in Cockermouth but actually wondering now if necessary, so may cancel that bit.

Geminijust Wed 12-May-21 19:24:13

@MrsAlexanderHamilton - thank you! I'm starting to put together an itinerary - looks like we'll have no problem filling the week with beaches, lakes & the Ravenglass Railway (DS particularly wants to do that).

Stevearnottsbeard Wed 12-May-21 19:25:16

Chester 😍

cupsofcoffee Wed 12-May-21 19:29:12

Geminijust

*@cupsofcoffee* - we'll be just down the road in Haverigg! From the research I've done there does seem to be lots to do and some of the lakes are still accessible for day trips. Also booked a couple of nights at the end in Cockermouth but actually wondering now if necessary, so may cancel that bit.

Haverigg is literally just down the road from me - you'll love it! Check out Riva Gelato on the Harbour Lights campsite - homemade ice-cream and it's stunning with new flavours everyday.

The beaches are stunning - there's Hodbarrow Nature Reserve too (with an Aqua Park) and I'd definitely recommend braving the roads and taking a drive up to Ulpha (about 20-25 minutes away) - there's a beautiful bridge and a lovely little cake stop up on Birker Fell.

I'd also recommend driving up the coast to Bootle (another lovely beach) and further inland to Wastwater and Eskdale - it's really beautiful down there and there are some lovely walks (and pubs!). Stanley Ghyll Force is a great little waterfall as well, and you can swim/paddle in the rivers in Eskdale too.

There's some lovely woodland near Millom which has some great views out to the sea on a clear day. You could also brave Blackcombe and take a walk up there - again, amazing views when the weather is good and it's not too steep of a climb either.

CCC1 Wed 12-May-21 19:34:23

Shropshire, the bordering bit of Cheshire around Nantwich I agree and the Staffordshire part of the Peak District which in my opinion is far lovelier and quieter than other parts. Also Staffs, the Rudyard Lake area and villages around the Churnet Valley.

We also ended up on an an accidental break in Herefordshire and I loved it.

MrsAlexanderHamilton Wed 12-May-21 19:35:20

@Geminijust, ah, The La'al Ratty! A rite of passage for every West Cumbrian child! Muncaster Castle is a really good day out too and very close to where you'll be staying. I see you mention Cockermouth, whether you stay there or not it's definitely worth a visit. A really pretty town with some lovely independent shops and some really great restaurants too.

JenniferWeCantGoWrong Wed 12-May-21 19:35:55

Antrim coast

Staffordshire Peak District

StillCoughingandLaughing Wed 12-May-21 19:35:57

lachy

I don't know that it's underrated as such but Birmingham. Specifically the outskirts, there are some lovely areas.

I came on to say the exact same thing. There was a thread recently asking for recommendations on areas to live in Birmingham, and the number of responses that made it clear some people still think it’s the 70s was worrying.

singsingbluesilver Wed 12-May-21 19:38:36

The Marcher area - the border area between England and Wales - which includes the aforementioned Shrewsbury and Shropshire.

The beaches of Anglesey.

Liverpool.

Cardiff.

Mrsmadevans Wed 12-May-21 19:40:43

Abergynolwyn North Wales it is so beautiful.

CCC1 Wed 12-May-21 19:41:48

singsingbluesilver

The Marcher area - the border area between England and Wales - which includes the aforementioned Shrewsbury and Shropshire.

The beaches of Anglesey.

Liverpool.

Cardiff.

Yes to these too! We love the Penmon Peninsular on Anglesey.

lakesidelife Wed 12-May-21 19:42:16

Hull, great day out with kids. Stunning aquarium and several other good museums.

Glasgow.

FlyingNorth Wed 12-May-21 19:43:05

Hull and surrounding area, and no, I'm not joking.

FizzyPink Wed 12-May-21 19:45:29

Oh I loved Birmingham the only time I visited as a uni student. Coming from London I couldn’t believe it when the barman only asked me for £5 for the giant cocktail with a sparkler I’d ordered grin

Blossomtoes Wed 12-May-21 19:46:05

Not telling, I don’t want my happy place swarming with MNetters when I visit!

TheQueef Wed 12-May-21 19:46:49

Magna in Rotherham.

Agree Castleford, Bakewell too.

BrumBoo Wed 12-May-21 19:47:42

Nefyn and Pwllheli. Many people seem to miss that peninsula of Wales, but I have fond memories. Haven't been in many moons though, so may be looking back through clouded memories.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in