To tell him when to start work?

(4 Posts)
Pethaireverywhere Thu 06-May-21 17:32:38

Me and my DP both have flexible jobs when it comes to work hours and we can both start and finish within certain reason. Mine can be between 6am to 5pm (I could work later if I really needed too but as most people prefer to finish early they try to keep it between those hours) and his anywhere from 7am to late.
When our DC was born I have changed my work hours several times to suit things like still breastfeeding, working from home, homeschooling, childcare and both my DC's routine (older one in school)
My DP leaves for work about 9am most days, he gets up about half hour before and gets ready so he isn't spending any time with DC in the mornings. He often does overtime so gets home between 6.30 to after 7pm some days and DC goes to bed between 7-8pm depending on the time she woke. He regularly misses dinner time with us all and has missed seeing DC all day if she's asleep by 7. There are occasional days he is home by 5ish but this is rare.
I've tried to suggest if he went to work earlier then at least he'd have more time in the evenings to spend with DC but he doesn't seem to see why he should?
Maybe because I've had to change my work hours so much to better suit the DC I feel like he should consider it too but maybe IABU?

OP’s posts: |
tulippa Thu 06-May-21 17:35:06

Sounds like he might be using work for a bit of peace and quiet.

GrandmasterGlitchsMoustache Thu 06-May-21 19:18:12

If he won't finish work earlier then why doesn't he get up earlier and see them in the morning instead? It would be reasonable for him to get up at 7.30 or 8am, have an hour or so with them before they go to schools s then he can get ready for work. Or he could even get up when they wake up and you could have the lie in or start work earlier yourself.

Shoxfordian Thu 06-May-21 19:19:11

Seems like he isn’t bothered about spending time with his daughter

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in